Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:42:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Guarding
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Guarding  (Read 33204 times)
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »

Well in SSB64, guard breaking is extremely viable, in fact every character has 100% guaranteed block combos that can break a person's guard entirely. But even without that, it's still a major threat. Notice how I say threat. Unless one guy is Ness, you hardly see any actual breaking, but the threat is really evident; sometimes you see people take massive hits so they won't get guard broken. Maybe give this a try?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »

Most ideas I toss here were just some quick thought to maximize the gameplay from my own analysis. I didn't put more than that. Some idea are indeed not well developed  Tongue

Unblockable should be a designated move that is chargeable, maybe with 3 step (normal, guard shattering + hi knockback but no damage, hi damage little knockback but huge cool down).
So if you charge it a little, it does a lot of knockback, but if you charge it a lot, it does little knockback? That doesn't seem too intuitive... especially considering that many unblockable attacks are grabs.

In my mind the character spin on himself after fully charge by flipping his hit animation quickly as a visual feedback. But yeah I didn't think that much: I was influence by that http://critical-gaming.squarespace.com/blog/2010/9/16/neorpg.html

What if the player get a small invincible (but cannot attack either) time while he double tap down and go through the ground. It would make for a situational dodge and may lead to some sort of gameplay chokepoint.
I don't really like the idea of making the ability to dodge dependent on standing on a platform.

Like the idea above It was an attempt to shoehorn a gameplay influence by some game (edge garding in smash bros) ...

Regarding your idea, they seems fine, in the case of items summoning, i think guarding may act as a time cost, summoning isn't much a counter but an opportunities that guarding made safer.

At the end, all idea need playtest, it's only then we know they are good or bad.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »

The use of character outline color as state feedback.
This is a fantastic idea! It could be used to show when a character is blocking or using an unblockable attack, and I'm sure there are other uses, too. I'm surprised no one thought of it before.
then does this mean it can be used for altern palletes too? for example: if only 1 player use Iji she got normal black outline, but if 2 players choose her then player 1 gets red outline and player 2 gets blue outline (and so on for other players). maybe it won't look good with strong colours, but soft ones can do magic

...ok, they still look a bit awful to me, but i'm not good choosing the right colours xD. i'm sure something can be done about it =P

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:25 PM »

It would be way too hard to tell who is who, with only a thin outline that can easily be lost in the background.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2010, 05:54:50 AM »

the way palletes are right now are really confuse, so, unless Soulli uses the code someone gave him sometime ago for the palletes combining the outline stuff and the actual pallete system would be better than what we have now, don't you think?

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »

If changing the colors of outlines is possible, so are full palette swaps.

If you want to continue this conversation, please move it to a more appropriate thread. This one is for guarding.

nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »

Does this game make any current distinction between attacks that "hit high" and attacks that "hit low"?

- n o t h i n g x s -
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2010, 04:54:37 AM »

It's been months since I've played due to the logistics of getting together with friends but I don't think there's any distinction between high and low contact, a hit is a hit.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »

In a game with uneven terrain, high and low attacks don't make much sense. With the right positioning, Nikujin's low slash can hit someone's head, and his high slash can hit their feet.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2011, 08:11:58 AM »

So basically I made defense bubbles. I know in the future we'll have guard poses but keeping the bubbles is not a bad idea (it worked with "Neon Genesis Evangelion Battle Orchestra", a smash-like game). Since i'm not the best spriter they can seem a bit weird for some people :S

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »

Some edits I made while I kinda was bored. btw is it just me or Nikujin defense bubble disappeared?

Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's because he has a guard frame unlike the others. So he no longer needs the bubble.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »

The bubbles are just temporary, until the characters have actual guarding animations. I like the Lyle sprite. It makes sense that he'd use a cube to block attacks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic