Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412117 Posts in 69452 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 30, 2024, 09:47:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNicalis
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: Nicalis  (Read 50143 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »

I think pretty much anyone who disagreed with him got. Tongue

No, pretty much just you!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »

JackieJay, you are full of horseshit.
Ntero
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »

I think pretty much anyone who disagreed with him got. Tongue

No, pretty much just you!
Psh that's silly you never even gave me single Logical Fallacy link and I still get lumped into the full of logical fallacy pile.  I smell Cop out.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:53:58 PM by Ntero » Logged
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »

JackieJay, you are full of horseshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

I just had to.  Tongue

deathtotheweird
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »

perhaps you should read your own link. Especially the common misconceptions part. I just felt like it needed to be said, so I said it.
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »

Gratuitous verbal abuse or "name-calling" itself is not an argumentum ad hominem or a logical fallacy.

My bad.

PaleFox
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »

I find you detestable.

It is bad enough that you insist on ignoring any evidence to the contrary of your position, but you are smug about it. You are like a politician, but without any of the possibility of becoming rich, famous, or having people agree with you. What evidence do you provide? None.

And yet you sit there pretending to be above it all. It is really rather sad.
Ntero
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »

I could say the same of the other side.

Two big paragraph posts and all I got was one lousy quote on my weakest point.

That's ok though, damn Nicalis for ruining Cave Story by revitalizing it, and helping it get off to a roaring start in sales.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »

edit: btw I just found a link to cave story wiiware too. Wasn't that easy, and still I doubt Cave Story will reach the 90% piracy rate of World of Good for the PC.

How hard is it to type "Cave story" into the search bar of your average torrent site?

eugeneius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2010, 08:15:59 PM »

Oh man, when Melly wakes up and sees what you guys have done to this place he's going to be pissed.

I'll try to be civil and somewhat constructive, and maybe the thread will get back on track slightly. JackieJay, I get the feeling what made Dragonmaw give up on the argument was this:

publishing and marketing a game for the appstore/wiiware/xblig/xbla is quite different from doing the same for the PC. The markets are different, the competition is different, the distribution channels are different, etc...  and so different marketing methods are needed.

Which basically boils down to "marketing for consoles is different than marketing for PC because various aspects of it are different". I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of categories of logical fallacy, but that's clearly providing no information whatsoever.

I agree with you that selling .exe files from your own website requires radically different marketing techniques; the kind that Paul Eres was talking about earlier. But I don't think anyone is suggesting Nicalis do this. If Cave Story were released on a portal like Steam, it would have comparably strong DRM to the WiiWare version, and would benefit from the "shop window" effect where a frontpage feature can result in huge numbers of sales. So no casual piracy to drain the sales from the Wii, and plenty of exposure to potential new customers (as you said, Cave Story seems popular to the TIGSource crowd but this is a very small corner of the Internet).

Steam also has a more diverse userbase than just "gamer gamers"; they sell PopCap games, not to mention a good handful of quality indie titles. They even have an Indie Games section!

Flash Dump <- ActionScript noobery
KareemK
Level 0

'sup mang

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »

so that's why DS cave story never saw the light...
although i don't get if pixel or nicalis are responsible for this... it's all very sad.

also this thread is on its way to lockville
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »

world of goo started as a "game in a week" project? so it kinda make sense as how that got pirated so many times since all the content added since their free version, cave story wii is just a port of a year to make game. so if stupid logic works pirates would only share 2-4 copies of this game than the 1,000,000 that rip world of goo also what's not to say all those 1,000,000 aren't just that game in a week copy that got renamed just to fool those who want the game.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »

Two big paragraph posts and all I got was one lousy quote on my weakest point.
I apologize. I actually had this big rebuttal to your point that I thought was elegant and refined. And then lost it. So I just summarized what I said.

Sorry if you felt that I didn't give your side the attention it deserved.

Also, sorry for butting in again:

Which basically boils down to "marketing for consoles is different than marketing for PC because various aspects of it are different". I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of categories of logical fallacy, but that's clearly providing no information whatsoever.

I forget the official term for it, but it's basically "these two things are related in this way in this instance. Therefore, all aspects of these two things are related in this way." It's a logical fallacy because it draws a generalization from a single conclusion.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:47:34 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »

Oh man, when Melly wakes up and sees what you guys have done to this place he's going to be pissed.
Cheesy

I do have something to contribute, though. Here are my claims, and a possible justification for Wii-only:

1. Some people own Wiis and a computer.
2. Therefore a multi-release would require some people to choose between the computer and Wii versions.
3. Some people will choose to buy the computer version instead of the Wii version.
4. No matter how much the total amount of sales is effected overall, the amount of Wii sales will be reduced.
5. Less sales means lower chance of hitting the WiiWare #1 spot (or by extension any PC milestones)
6. No #1 spot = less publicity = less sales.

Feel free to point out any incorrect assertions.

(Also the fallacy you mentioned is Argument by Generalization: "because one part of x is true, x must be true" or some such thing)
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2010, 05:12:07 AM »

I find you detestable.

It is bad enough that you insist on ignoring any evidence to the contrary of your position, but you are smug about it. You are like a politician, but without any of the possibility of becoming rich, famous, or having people agree with you. What evidence do you provide? None.

And yet you sit there pretending to be above it all. It is really rather sad.

I haven't been ignoring any evidence to the contrary of my position, I have been ignoring you, that's different. I know when it's worth discussing with someone and when it's not. Your tone and the following quotes make it pretty obvious that you are mostly looking for a reaction rather than a serious discussion.

Are you some kind of idiot?
I find you detestable.

btw where's that evidence ? The initial discussion was about whether or Nicalis made a bad decision by making Cave Story a wiiware exclusive. I thought the fact that the game topping the charts was enough evidence that perhaps it wasn't a disastrous decision after all.

How hard is it to type "Cave story" into the search bar of your average torrent site?

I did that and that's why I didn't find at first. I won't go into details on how I found it for obvious reasons.

If I were to explain every little difference I'd be here all day, so I gave one example that I thought would illustrate my point:

Marketing for the PC is much, much harder and also much more important. While publishing a game for the wiiware for example, a simple "submit the game to Nintendo, wait for good reviews and pray for sales" marketing plan could work just fine.

And I thought it was kind of obvious that marketing for the wiiware is quite different from marketing for the PC, so no big explanations were needed.

But of course it's easier to say I'm a prick than actually telling me why I'm wrong.
Saying I'm "detestable" or "full of horseshit" is hardly convincing.  Tongue

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:39:54 AM by JackieJay » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2010, 05:59:48 AM »

i agree with dragonmaw that jackiejay isn't going to change his mind, but would just like to point out that ID sold more than 15 copies average a month; it sold 3000 copies over the last two and a half years, which averages to around 100 a month. not all were at full price though (may were for the pay what you want sale or other sales).

also i find the constant references to logical fallacies ridiculous. none of us argue logically. the conceit that any of us are arguing logically and without mistakes, as if we could see the true world, is ridiculous. only when we recognize that people are by nature irrational can true communication take place. logical fallacies should be welcomed, not rejected. that said, the only real ad hominem arguments (as opposed to mere name calling) in
this thread were against me (saying that since i don't have much experience in doing what he does i can't be right and he can't be wrong). even were that true, sometimes even very experienced people make mistakes that inexperienced people can see through.

also, that it's the best-selling game on the wii on a particular day and in the top 10 in a particular week happens to many new releases, it's not particularly odd for a game to be the best-selling game on the day it was released (since it gets a lot of news on release day). the real test will be whether it's the best-selling or in the top 10 for the year, not the week or a day.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:02:52 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2010, 06:33:49 AM »

Just one thing, if you prove me wrong I won't have a problem admitting it; this is a discussion, I never claimed to be the owner of all truths.  The problem is, nobody brought me evidence that I'm wrong, or at least something that I consider to be proper evidence.

Also don't forget ad hominem arguments aren't logical fallacy, even if people can use them as such. They can be valid arguments. I even used a half assed example to illustrate what I said.

Now on the sales of cave story: the fact that Cave Story is still being featured in the frontpage of almost every major nintendo/wii gaming site (as well as reviews from the mainstream press) might be a good indicator that sales probably will continue to be high in the coming weeks, even if not as high as they were. I have the impression the game got noticed by more people now, only a week after it was released, than it was in the 6 months span or so after it was released as a freeware game (or better saying, after the english translation got out). In addition, even if it was on the top only on the release day (and/or in days after), the fact that Cave Story beat Pokemon, Mario, Megaman, bomberman and other massively popular franchises, is not to be underestimated, I think.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »

that cave story is selling well isn't evidence that you're right that nicalis shouldn't care about the community. so i'm not sure how evidence that it's selling well is proof of anything. your logical line seems to go like this:

a) nicalis's decisions (about removing youtube videos, not answering community questions, and so on) are good because they're professionals who know what they are doing.

b) the game is selling well, which is proof that nicalis knows what it's doing.

that's about it -- you can see how little sense that makes when it's laid out like that, right?

JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »

Here we go again:

I never (with emphasis on NEVER) said Nicalis's business decisions were good. Or bad for that matter.
I never (with emphasis on NEVER) said Nicalis shouldn't care about the community and press (note the emphasis on press, the fans aren't the only ones that aren't getting the answers they want).

What I said exactly was that without knowing the reasons behind those decisions it's hard to reach any conclusions on anything.

Do you really believe they do what they do just because they feel like it ? Turning the fans against them for no apparent reason ? Makes sense, specially considering the dude worked as PR manager for Nintendo. I don't know, I think that counts for something, don't you think ?

Of course if you twist what I say it will hardly make sense. Do my post make sense to you now ?

The fact that Cave Story is selling well proves that Nicalis's might not be business dummies after all. And also that the decision to release it for the wiiware wasn't as bad as some people said, you seem to be mixing different discussions.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:43:31 AM by JackieJay » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »

you just repeated what i just said, but in different words.

you're now saying: 'i'm not saying their decisions are good, but do you really think their decisions could possibly be bad? that they don't know what they're doing? the game is selling well: that proves they're geniuses!'

but that's just the same thing.

and yes, i really do believe their decisions could be bad, that they can make mistakes now and then. do you really believe that they are infallible, that every single decision they make is correct?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic