Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:25:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCeramic Shooter: Electronic Poem
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ceramic Shooter: Electronic Poem  (Read 12958 times)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:03:38 PM »

I would like to present the sequel to Ceramic Shooter:

Ceramic Shooter
Electronic Poem

Download from Host-A

Download from Mediafire

Overview:

Like the original Ceramic Shooter, Electronic Poem begins with a similar gameplay mechanic:  the goal is to damage as little as possible (by shooting and/or crashing).  There are many improvements, though, including a better damage system, synchronization of the game's events to the background music, and a drastic gameplay twist about two-thirds into the game.  

You pilot a ship with a malfunctioning cannon, receiving specific instructions from your superior to not destroy anything.  Throughout most of the game, you are innocently trying to get through the strange city of Teslagrad (and its surrounding countryside).   Be sure to read the in-game text, as it conveys important storyline elements and thematic ideas, as well as provides important instructions for the last third of the game!

The game in whole lasts about ten minutes, as it was designed to accompany the self-composed background music (i.e. the music's "high" and "low" points, as well as important beats, match with what is occurring in the game).  In general, a lot of thought went into this; I wanted to create a cohesive artistic experience, in addition to a fun game.  The game's title is a reference to the Edgard Varese piece "Poeme Electronique."

The ship is controlled with the Arrow Keys.

Screenshots:

Thanks to ortoslon, for posting this.

Specifications:

Title: Ceramic Shooter:  Electronic Poem
Download Size: 14.3 MB zipped
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable, README.txt, a folder containing the game music, and two DLL's used to play the Ogg Vorbis music.
Version: 1.0
Written In: GM8 Registered
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:22:23 PM by Theta » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:00:25 PM »

playthrough

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »

Thanks for making that video, ortoslon.  What did you think of the game?

ortoslon
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »

nothing. i enjoyed playing it but i don't have any opinion on it, neither do i see how it could be improved
Oliver
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »

i just DL'd it, looks good in the vid.

I'll let u know what i think.
FreelancePolice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:53:03 PM »

Wow, having just watched the vid, I think you knocked it out of the park as far as the audio and visuals go. Major kudos.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »

Synchronization to the music is definitely an important part of this game - Thanks!

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 08:58:04 AM »

This is really cool. I feel like this is the sort of game that's better watched than played, since when you're playing, it's difficult to focus on what the text is actually saying and appreciate how the music syncs up with the story. I like it  Hand Thumbs Up Right
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »

I see what you mean, necromian - I realize that it probably isn't possible to get everything while playing, at least for the first two times or so.  My idea was that as people became more proficient with the game, they could take the time to read some of the text, or otherwise appreciate how the whole style fits together (at this point, they wouldn't have to focus entirely on dodging and not shooting stuff).

ortoslon
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »

on my first try, i was able to read all text except thick text walls near the end
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »

Those huge walls of text towards the end are not all that important to the storyline of the game.  Basically, it is just the General ranting.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »

Gameplay-wise, I thought this was much improved over the original. And it had a sweet story, too.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »

Thanks!  I think it is an improvement over the original as well.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »

Does anyone else have commentary on this?  A lot of work and thought was put into this, especially with regard to the game's themes.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »

This is totally fantastic. I loved it. Really like what you did with the rather surreal narrative here.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »

just reviewed this for the front page

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »

Thanks for the compliments, agj, and for your review, Paul Eres!

ChevyRay
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »

Wow great job with this game, this is really something else. The presentation of the game is wonderful, how things sync up is admirable, I was blown away after watching Ortoslon's video of the full thing.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »

Lovely game. Only nitpick is that I didn't realize that destroying things at the end was still "painting" them, and so on my first try I wasn't refilling my lifebar enough by just leaving as much as possible recolored but alive. Felt like Kavita was an anti-authority prankster type who didn't want you to destroy anything, though this could be a misread.

And to those of you who think that ortoslon's video is a suitable replacement for actually playing it, shame on you! Play it! Right now!  Grin

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »

Thank you, all!

@Noyb [Spoiler Alert!]:

Kavita has kind of an anti-authority personality, although her main motive is merely for the main character to have fun and embrace creativity. Indeed, she is by no means advocating destruction of things.  The last third of the game is not meant to be taken literally (besides, how could paintballs destroy anything?).  Rather, in the main character's "painting," he is turning a rather dull, grey world into something more creative, as he splatters paint everywhere.  I considered giving the player "Kavita" points for just coloring stuff, and not having the paintballs eliminate anything from the screen, but that wouldn't have had the same effect.

[/Spoiler Alert]

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic