Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:31:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Workfreelance games tester
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: freelance games tester  (Read 1718 times)
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2010, 03:36:09 AM »

anyone needs some in depth testing for their upcoming game?

alspal
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »

What type of games do you like/hate, and what games are you good at?
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »

Is that the right question?

If I'm hiring a tester, I don't give a damn what they play for fun.  What's important is that they are thorough, have good communication skills and have a "how can I break this" mindset.

Edit:Ah, silly me.  I thought that this was the "paid" board.  My point stands, but when you're looking for unpaid help, you have to lower your expectations and be more considerate of the other person.

Tim, are you doing this just for fun, or do you want to go freelance at some point?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:15:34 PM by Alex Vostrov » Logged
alspal
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:41:04 PM »

Is that the right question?

No idea. I'm not good at saying the "right" things, only good at being myself.

The reason I wanted to know what he doesn't like or what he does, is because not everyone likes to play every game. For instance, the game I'm currently working on isn't designed to be played by people who are new/inexperienced with the platform genre - it's designed with a specific difficulty in mind and not everyone appreciates a "hard game".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:01:25 PM by alastair john jack » Logged
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »

i play pretty much anything to be honest. as long as i find them interesting i can play any genre. for example the games im playing now are flower, sun, rain, the spirit engine and bit of torchlight (though not much because i find it to be too grindy). but if you want a more specific answer.. i do tend to avoid jrpgs, rts, mmorpgs. jrpgs, i dislike the japanese melodrama stories that are usually told, the battle mechanic of taking turns to slap each other and the grind. rts, i hate them because im usually no good at them because i find it difficult to get the logic of all it take is 20 guys to take down a entire enemy base. mmorpgs, i hate the grind. but the game you want tested is a platform game right? i quite like platform games and im quite good at them if i do say so myself. i mean i admit that i havent finished mario sunshine or matt thorsons money seize or iwbtg but i have been playing them pretty much my entire life starting with mario, crash and spryo (i hate sonic but ill tell you why later if you like). and the "harder" platforming stuff i do like playing so long the reason why i stuff up is my fault not the games fault.
btw it sounds to me that you want me to test the "fun factor" of the game instead of bugs, which im cool with. is this right?
so yeah.. am i qualified for the position?

Tim, are you doing this just for fun, or do you want to go freelance at some point?

both i guess haha. i mean i hoping to get in the games industry at some point and with the australian industry being relatively small i figured it cant hurt to have in your resume "i have tested games before" but more elegantly written of course haha. besides i got nothing to do right now..

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic