Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:39:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlatform Hell: The 8-hour challenge.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platform Hell: The 8-hour challenge.  (Read 1779 times)
Weaver
Level 0

Got a mean left hook

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »

So after getting hung up on so many of my own larger projects I decided to finally say to hell with it and start something more manageable, just to get me back in the groove. Now that it's pretty much done I'll be heading back to my other games with renewed vigor, but first, let me introduce you to the fruits of my labor.

With the help of none other than 4chan's videogame board I was able to sort out a relatively simple premise that could be completed into an essentially 'complete' game in the span of 8 hours. I'm an amateur programmer at best so that was still a pretty high bar, but here's what I came up with:

Platform Hell

DOWNLOAD IT HERE!
MIRROR HERE
Platform Hell is a platformer mixed with a shoot-em-up inspired by the "Bullet Hell" subgenre. Projectiles are everywhere, the game's pace is fast, and you must simultaneously platform your way through the randomly-generated level and fight off the baddies as they make their way through the screen. Your weaponry levels up as you kill more enemies and there are a number of options to change difficulty.
In the end, though, there is no way to WIN the game -- only hold out as long as possible. Scoring is based on levels cleared, enemies killed, and distance traveled.

I know it's unpolished, and there's no sound, and the graphics are lacking (the player character was a placeholder but everyone ended up liking him too much), but this was a game project designed to be completed quickly. Personally I think for the relative time and skill (not much of either) invested in it, the game actually comes out quite playable.

I hope some of you enjoy it, at the least, it's taught me a lot about short projects and resource/time management when working.

Oh, one more thing:
Here's the source code, editable in GM8.
I encourage anyone to do what they want with it, if you're so inclined, since this was meant to be an open project, but good luck wading through my bullshit, completely unoptimized/uncommented code. Such is the first casualty of speed.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hfgfmk2lmij
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:40:58 PM by Weaver » Logged
ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

Rather nice framework.

Game was decently playable on a touchpad at 4 hit shield, INSANITY!, and Did I say stop? enemy occurence. I didn't think it was playable at all on a setting that wasn't recharge at level up, because typically, I'm used to larger player sprites, bullet sprites, and visible grinding areas in bullet hell games.

Sound would be a plus. Something that converted statistics to scores would probably be another step to take. Different gun types or spreads might also be fun to mess with.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic