Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:42:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGame Journalists Are Your Friends
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Game Journalists Are Your Friends  (Read 13318 times)
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »

I don't think personalized email will solve anything. Website reviewers probably get hundreds of emails. IMO the best help is to get some recomendation from someone in the mob.

A personalized email isn't THE solution but it certainly helps. An email that starts with "Dear Vincenzo," will draw my attention more than an anonymous "Dear sir,". It's a stupid and silly thing, but it works psychologically. Even if I know that many developers simply replace the name of the journalist/website in a standard form  Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 06:45:34 AM »

both 'dear paul' and 'hey paul!!' would be strange to me. one is too intimate and the other is too rude. i tend to use (and prefer) something like 'hi paul,' etc.

increpare
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 07:41:05 AM »

if you're sending out e-mails and being ignored, it's probably just that you're part of the group of people that will just get ignored, not because you've done anything wrong... there is a chance it's because you've done something wrong, but 9 times out of 10 - you've done your best, that's all you can do.
That's pretty sad if it's true
SaturnineGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 08:35:11 AM »

Well, people are busy... as Paul says - a lot (even all) of them are doing this part time, for free.. and they have their own projects too etc..etc..

There are some fantastic people out there doing a really really good job, but I'd imagine not even them can reply to every e-mail, or have the time/energy to do a piece on each one.

I think that's dead on right there. All you can really do is try to contact as many web sites/writers as you can and see what turns out. The majority won't respond, but some will.

Facebook
Twitter: @SaturnineGames
Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »

I usually offer the journalist/website a fresh coconut and a jar with one of my farts in it.   That gets people's attention.   I mean the coconut is sort of fun, by why the hell would anyone want a fart jar?  Do you take the jar just so you can play with the coconut?

That's not true, but I've often wondered what the response would be.

I'm drunk, it's Friday, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:16:58 PM by Cevo70 » Logged

Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »

Quote from: moi
"Dear Vincenzo" vs "Dear Sir" won't change that. you'd be a nutcase to start an e-mail with "Dear" anything, to be honest..
C'mon. It was just an example :D I think you get the point.

Quote from: increpare
not even them can reply to every e-mail, or have the time/energy to do a piece on each one.
Sadly I agree: I always try to reply to every e-mail I receive, but sometimes there are so many uninteresting messages in my inbox that I can't really follow.

I'm drunk, it's Friday, I'm sorry.

Beer!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »

i do reply to every email i get besides automated / press release emails -- i'm sure i missed one or two here or there, but i think i reply to at least 95% of them. perhaps that's just cause i write pretty fast and have hypergraphia, though.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic