Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:01:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessQuestions About FlashGameLicense
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Questions About FlashGameLicense  (Read 34616 times)
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2010, 04:06:00 AM »

That's really fun! Love it! TigerHand Thumbs Up Right

Got stuck at the bit on the right where there's an orange thing bouncing on a platform attached to a big, bouncing block.

slakinov
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2011, 02:58:55 AM »

Unearthing this thread instead of creating a new one, that would be bad etiquette!

I've been working on a game for the last 10 months in my spare time, it's nearly finished and I've had some good feedback from those who've playtested it. Here's a demo video:

It's been on FGL for 3 weeks now and I've had:

17 views, mostly for around 5 minutes
1 bid for a premium license at $500

I'm not normally one to blow my own trumpet, but I'm pretty sure this game is fairly high quality and worth a lot more than that. I'm really eager to just release the thing and considering just setting it free with mochiads embedded.

Anyone think this is a dumb idea?

Should I spam sponsors directly? I have zero contacts in that industry so it would be completely cold-calling.

Any comments or advice at all would be hugely appreciated!

music (datassette.net) and games (slakinov.com)
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2011, 04:33:51 AM »

Check the "most recent sales on FGL"and PM sponsors directly. Also wait more time, the flash market is really nasty but the game definitely is worth more than $500. If you can wait, do it. Talk to the FGL team, they can push it a bit.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »

That's a very nice game, definitely worth more than $500 IMO.
From my limited experience, I wouldn't recomend self releasing with mochiads,  integrating the Kong API and highscores and releasing there could be a good option (but I can't vouch for it)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
slakinov
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2011, 10:06:13 AM »

Thanks fellowes, will hang on for a bit longer and then do some sponsor spamming I reckon.

music (datassette.net) and games (slakinov.com)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »

Should I spam sponsors directly? I have zero contacts in that industry so it would be completely cold-calling.

This worked pretty well for me, I wasn't really spamming them as I was picking sites that usually host my type of game and emailing them why I thought they would like it.  Anyway it increased my highest bid by quite a bit.
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2011, 05:04:23 AM »

Ooh this is a nice one!

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »

My game's been in FlashGameLicense for three months with no new bids (aside from a bid for $300 which is more charity than actual business), despite carpet mailing nearly every sponsor in existence. I'm pondering removing it and leaving the sponsor model altogether, they're clearly not interested in my stuff.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »

Some games - even good games - are not what sponsors are looking for. They usually have a pretty good idea of what will generate traffic on their particular site.

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2011, 08:54:58 AM »

Some games - even good games - are not what sponsors are looking for. They usually have a pretty good idea of what will generate traffic on their particular site.

True, that's the bad thing of the flash market. Usually copies of games that proved successful sell a lot easier than an innovative and cool game.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »

Basically: make either a very polished grind game or a twitch game in 2 hours .
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:02:58 PM by moi » Logged

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »

True, that's the bad thing of the flash market. Usually copies of games that proved successful sell a lot easier than an innovative and cool game.

And yet the best sellers (Steambirds sold for ~35k) seem relatively innovative (or at least uncommon on flash portals).

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2011, 07:31:43 AM »

some success stories have a much BIGGER MOUTH than others

Nix
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »

Truth
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »

So are you saying there are many other successes at the magnitude of steambirds we don't hear about, and that they tend to be non-innovative?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »

I have no idea about al the success stories because most of these remain secret.

Nix
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »

So are you saying there are many other successes at the magnitude of steambirds we don't hear about, and that they tend to be non-innovative?

The big thing about innovation is that, if you're lucky, you can get really lucky (e.g. Steambirds), but getting that lucky is difficult and may or may not happen regardless of how unique your idea is. But if you want to actually make a reliable and steady income, the safest route sf to take existing and popular mechanics and do them well. Success in the Flash industry is not based on innovation, but on how well you execute your idea, whether the idea is new or not.
mirosurabu
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:30 AM »

And yet the best sellers (Steambirds sold for ~35k) seem relatively innovative (or at least uncommon on flash portals).

As moi said. Steambirds is one example and there are many other games that brought in a lot more than Steambirds and they tend to be nothing like Steambirds.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic