Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:01:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDawn of Civilization
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dawn of Civilization  (Read 1838 times)
omicron1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »

So, I'm trying to reinvent the classic real-time strategy game by myself, in Game Maker...

I have a tech demo, of a sort; it's not high on gameplay features, but represents the rough form of the interface, as well as the camera/navigation system.
Try it here.
Some of the tenets I'm exploring:
* Long-form gameplay - rather than a fast-as-possible buildup to a single climactic battle, my goal is to have a more measured pace, with as many as 16 settlements to conquer (~12 of them under AI control) and games taking as long as two or three hours to play through.

* Empire building - you should only be able to directly control one city, but any cities you conquer should become your vassals, providing you with a tribute of military units, resources, or a combination of both, while contributing to your war effort. Each player's score at the end of the game is determined not only by whether they ultimately won, but by if the side that they were part of won. This way, the top players gain control of larger armies and larger regions of the map, while conquered players stay engaged in the game.

* City building - rather than being population-cap increasers, civilian houses now contribute much more to gameplay. Every building needs workers, and houses provide them. Houses have needs and wants, which when fulfilled make them more effective workers, and raise the morale of any units spawned from those houses.

* Indirect economy control - Anno style. You don't tell your citizens to go mine copper; you build a miner's lodge nearby and staff it with workers, and they'll mine copper for you.

* DIY factions - rather than being locked into control of the Egyptians, Greeks, or Yamato, I intend to make your choices on the technology tree determine the path and eventual form of your civilization. This means a complex web of dependencies and alternate technologies, as well as, for instance, not crippling a player who starts with the Babylonians on an island map.

* Naturally-sized maps - ten square miles. This contributes to the slow-form gameplay, as well as making empires more possible/plausible. And, in accompaniment to this...

* Cinematic camera - the native viewpoint for this game should be an almost first-person view, in which the player can see the sky. This is made possible by a pronounced emphasis on LOD technology, and allows a new form of navigation via on-screen icons: Any village, city, or army that is off-screen or far away will be represented by an icon along the sides of the view, or on the horizon. Double-clicking that icon should warp you to that location, or it can be used to order units around. This makes the minimap almost a secondary feature, which helps tremendously considering the size of the maps.

I'd consider the project a success if either I finish the game in some form or another or can use it as a prototype to successfully put together a team to recreate it professionally.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:43:48 PM by omicron1 » Logged
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »

Your first few sceenshots are broken, here are fixed links:

Haven't played yet but it looks good so far, I'm surprised its a Game Maker game.

Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »

Nice! Downloading your big file. I also am surprised it's made in Game Maker.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »

This looks nice, I didn't know game maker could do 3Dstuff like that and I must say I'm surprised its a Game Maker game.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:41:43 PM »

Nice use of Ultimate 3d. The Interface graphics didn't look as polished as the 3d, but it looks like this will be awesome once you implement some of those goals.

omicron1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »

Don't expect a lot of game right now... the version that's out there is a pure tech demo.

Part of my goal here is to see exactly how far Game Maker can be pushed - to which end I've been working for the last four years or so. This is using a DLL extension for Game Maker's graphics, so it's not the system's native look; but it's still pushing Game Maker's computational limits.

The interface is partly not done yet, esp. the construction tab buttons, which are completely placeholder art.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic