Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:30:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPraetor - a real-time 4x space game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Praetor - a real-time 4x space game  (Read 15377 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »

Good to see you are working on this again.

It's weird, HMRSA is sounding fairly similar to your ideas, but I am working in the entirely opposite direction, starting with tactical battles and then trying to figure out how to string them together into a campaign. Since I've spent so much time and focus on them, I'll probably not allow too many peaceful options in the campaign mode, and try to make them consistently interesting enough that I can disallow autoresolution of battles without forcing players to act out dull, pre-decided battles.

I have only had music offers, seeing as how it's entirely lacking. I guess people like my style if no one is offering to do artwork. Smiley

I like to make the games I want to play, so seeing you and other people make 4X space games with some unique features is really exciting.

Klatter121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »

Just a thought on what you could implement. You could add like a imperial guard that follow and protect the emperor.

If I start to get annoying just say so.
jabbawocky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 01:14:57 AM »

So... any news on the current state of development?
drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »

Thanks for your interest, I haven't been on the forums for a while.

Progress is being made, space battles and bombardment were implemented, but eventually they took too much of a focus. I got a semi-decent scripting engine up and running and then realized I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by simply plugging in an existing language. So currently I am in process of adding Lua functionality to the engine. Would have had it ages ago, but there are bills to be paid..

@Klatter121
Both your ideas are quite consistent with the game. If you want to move your character anywhere on the map his entire fleet goes with him, including his honor guard called The Emperor's Own that function as elite guards/bodyguards/invasion infantry but tend to cost more than a fleet of battlecruisers. As for cyborg type characters, implants already give you boosts in stats, and with proper Cybernetics skill/tech you can replace everything but the brain.

@nihilocrat
Unfortunately I've decided to scrap the tactical battle system, for now. The promised art assets fizzled out, but I can render my own in Max - good enough for programmer art. It's kind of my fault - if I had something substantial to show to people, I'm sure I'd already have plenty of offers for help.

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
Nitrousoxide
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 08:36:19 AM »

Oh wow, I'm really glad to see that this hasn't died.
Klatter121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 03:36:42 AM »

I'm relieved that you haven't given up... I was beginning to doubt. Game designing is inconvenient

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »

I always wanted to play an enjoyable space 4X game, and you seem to be heading in the right direction with this one. Eagerly anticipating future updates.
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 06:57:56 AM »

Hi
Nice looking game ! I love space-themed games, and this one seems cool.

Just one remark, from the first screens you posted, your font is nice, but not easy to read

So you from what I have seen are developping in C# / openGl ? This seems a strange choice ! As you cannot port your game to XBox if you don't use XNA/DIrectX, and there are no really existing engine using C#/Opengl !? What was motivating your choice ?

I'm a programmer but if you need some ships models maybe I can help. But it seems that this is not the important thing, as they are shown very small !

Anyway, good job so far, but do not hesitate to post new screens, even WIP

drChengele
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »

Quote from: peous
So you from what I have seen are developping in C# / openGl ? This seems a strange choice ! As you cannot port your game to XBox if you don't use XNA/DIrectX, and there are no really existing engine using C#/Opengl !? What was motivating your choice ?
I really like C#, coding and debugging is much faster for me in it than, say, C++. For graphics and audio I made use of an SFML .NET binding which fits all my requirements; SFML uses OpenGL. I do not see XBox as a valid platform for a grand strategy game so lack of DirectX is not a concern.

I'm a programmer but if you need some ships models maybe I can help. But it seems that this is not the important thing, as they are shown very small !
I appreciate the offer but as you correctly guess ships are not the main problem here. What I need are things such as interface and status icons, images of different planets, GUI elements, images for different species and different buildings (with 120 buildings in the game and rising, it's becoming increasingly difficult to come up with even abstract graphics / symbols). Oh and the square blocky font has been replaced ages ago so don't worry about that either.

Your hint about screenshots has been duly acknowledged  Wink .

Praetor
Klatter121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »

This Idea just made me think of crusader kings 2
but its just too complicated eg. when i finished tutorial i was BRAINWASHED
your idea on the other hand seems solid, simple yet in depth. thats enough critisism for one day.

EDIT: btw eventually are you gonna think about a succesion system eg. you die and then the player takes control of an heir.

drChengele
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 04:42:01 AM »

No succession. I can't hope to dethrone Crusader Kings II so I won't even try. Instead I'll play to the game's strengths. The campaign follows the life of one person, that's kind of the major selling point and I think players will be happy with it. Fortunately for me, this is sci-fi, so your character can live for thousands of years. You not only see your empire grow and spread, but also you see your emperor gain traits, experience, titles and scars over the hundreds of years of leadership.

If you're disappointed by the lack of succession, think of it this way : in the end game you will get to lead a guy with most of his body replaced many times over with cloned organs and the finest cybernetic parts, and with upwards of two thousand years of political and command experience.

As an aside, for this reason I was thinking of removing assassinations from the game because if there is a chance, no matter how minuscule, that a player's campaign would end based on a dice roll, that would be bad design. Assassinations will probably make it into the game, it's just they'll never be able to kill the player character, just severely cripple him granting penalties until replacement organs are regrown in vats.

Praetor
Klatter121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »

that is if you have discovered efficient cloning, anything can happen while you are waiting. hehehehehe
you've changed my mind with the long life thing
well hope it all goes well/as planned

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 03:16:14 AM »

I was thinking of developing something along these lines as well (read: thought it would be cool to do so but never had the time to do it actually :D), so I will post compatible ideas.

The emperor resides on the throne planet and can't move. Instead he has 3 henchmen of unquestionable loyalty which can be moved around and act as extension of emperor's will.

There are several special units, like imperial guard that can't be moved from the imperial palace, various spies, imperial inspectors, etc. You either can't build these units or there are high limits.

You can't create fleets. Instead you have 12 nobles (actually 10 nobles and 2 imperial admirals), each has his own fleet. You can give ships to a noble and it will be included in his fleet. Fleets can never be split, also it is easy to add to fleet but hard to remove from it :D You can move these fleets around and these basicly do what you told them to do but the actual effect depends on the fleet commander. And of course nobles and fleets can rebel from time to time Smiley Or be unavailable because the commanders is preoccupied with some other thing. The 2 imperial fleets (commanded by your imperial admials) are always loyal and not troublesome, but these admirals are not necessarily as bright as nobles plus nobles will riot if the imperial fleet is too strong compared to noble fleets.

Each planet has planetary forces (ground army). These armies can not be moved from the planet. You can enforce planetary garrisons if you wish. You also have several imperial infantry regiments which you can move between planets.

Finances. You build all ships yourself and these are moved to shipyards when finished, then you add these to different fleets. But the maintenance of ships is done by the commander, which means you pay for maintenance of imperial fleets but noble fleets are maintained by nobles from their treasuries. Nobles have very simple income system (% of income from their home planets goes to their treasury). If the noble has not enough money he is very displeased (and take a loan from banking guild) which in a long run leads to noble's revolt. Some nobles are more wasteful than others, they can crash their treasuries by spending on luxuries. Some also are richer than others (so you can't really give more ships to a poor noble even if he is loyal and competent because the maintenance will kill him).

You have several imperial offices, these can be given to nobles (the same that command fleets). This increases their happiness and sometimes income. Of course it would be best to not give offices to nobles with "corrupt" trait or "unjust" or "cruel" because it damages the overall empire.
I was thinking if maybe making more nobles per noble house would be better? Like the commandeing noble is one and you have additional 2 nobles from the same noble house which can be granted an office (hoping one of them is half decent nad not totally insane) which increases the loyalty and happiness of the whole noble house.

You can dispose of a noble if you really want (replacing it by another randomly generated noble from the same noble branch), but it causes a big drop of happiness among all noble houses ("the emperor is trying to claim all the power and make us his puppets").

Assasination is fine, but don't make it "kill the emperor" but save the emperor making him only injured, like 50% command points for 10 turns, or kill some courtier instead (bravely protected the emperor with his own life).

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Klatter121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »

well this thread has entered dead space so see ya   Cry
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:12:58 AM by Klatter121 » Logged

bigmoon
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »

It is looking good. Is it possible to post a link of video? Then I can understand about this game. It is really good news for space games lover that many new space games are on the way link Star Quest 2. Star Quest 2 is a space rts game and this one is under development.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic