Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:49:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The simple stuff?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The simple stuff?  (Read 2422 times)
medieval
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »

For a long time I have thought about this and eventually figured out that my frustration that increased with every drawing I have ever tried to make only really occured because I tried drawing too difficult stuff, started the wrong way etc.

Now after a long break I want to try getting back to drawing. Can I get some advice on interesting but simple things (any examples will help me think of things myself) that I can draw that will not make me want to start throwing things?
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »

You could start reading "Drawing on the right side of the brain", it start form simplest things and it will definitely help you to see things in a different way  Wink

*blog - *tweet - *leon
Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »

First of all, keep in the right state of mind: drawing is a skill. It's not a talent, it is not something you're born with. All you have to do is learn it, just like any other skill.

Draw from life. Look at a bench. A table. A plant. Your dog. The troll in your basement. Try to draw it as accurately as you can. Do this a lot. Like constantly. It is going to take hours and hours and hours of drawing, but if you do it, you'll improve.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:15:52 PM »

It is going to take hours and hours and hours of drawing, but if you do it, you'll improve.

this is kind of underselling it, it's going to take days, months even.
The key is when you're teaching yourself to draw, make sure you learn something from every drawing, even if it's just the way a shirt falls, or the way eyelids work or something, make sure from every drawing you do you do something new and take something away from it that you can then apply to future drawings.
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:52:04 AM »

Another way you could look at drawing something sort-of complicated is by breaking it down to it's basic shapes and drawing them. Also, drawing just a really rough outline of where things will go and then overlaying it with the actual drawing will help visualize where things go and get frustrating parts out of the way - nothing worse than taking half an hour to draw something and then realizing parts are out of proportion.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:50:59 PM »

The biggest improvements I've gotten in drawing have come from sticking to a heavily studied, layered approach.

There are arguments against this method, but I've discovered that a lot of artists hold themselves back by leaving in a bottleneck at some layer of their style. Basically, the problem is that you're doing one or more things on autopilot, which makes them boring and repetitive tasks, introduces mistakes that don't show up until later, and reduces the quality of the final work. Putting pencil to paper the moment you think of something to draw can give you a fast result, but you're working entirely off your memory, and unless you've memorized everything you want to draw in great detail, that is going to lead you to an "iconic" look that probably isn't appropriate.

For example, figure drawers will often depict similar or even nearly identical body types and poses across drawings, which speeds and simplifies later decisions about perspective, linework, and shading, but cuts off the ability to express unique figures. Particularly bad is the situation where an artist tries to get around something being too hard to draw by not drawing it.

Doing things "the hard way" pays off: Carefully build up your understanding of the subject matter, decide on the color palette or lighting early on, and gradually build out the shapes and linework without skipping steps.

The OP describes frustration with drawing, which usually happens when you've skipped too many steps without realizing it. In that case, the best thing to do is to go back to references - in order of preference: the real world, photos and video, and other drawings - and study each facet in detail. Maybe you have trouble drawing cars, for example. Is it because you don't know how to depict the materials of the car? Are the shapes too complex? Have you chosen a difficult perspective? In each case, once you understand the problem, fixing it is just a matter of finding the fundamental concept at work and studying it some more.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »

chairs

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:49:45 PM »

what triple fox said  Hand Clap