Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:34:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Entropy Movement - looking for testers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Entropy Movement - looking for testers  (Read 5693 times)
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »

Overview

The Entropy Movement is a platform adventure game. Set in a dystopian/war torn alternate universe.  I'm trying to focus on nonlinear gameplay, even if the game is fairly linear overall. Sort of like Deus Ex, where you can play however you want (almost). Obstacles and enemies can be overcome with stealth, brute force, hacking, or even talking to an NPC. I'm not going to bother much with that karma crap. You make the decisions you have to survive. There won't be some higher power judging your every choice.

Even though it's not an open world game, the world isn't divided up into levels, so you can go back to old areas whenever you want, possibly unlocking things metroidvania style.

Features

Currently, the following are completed:
-Basic Platformer Engine (Pixel perfect collisions, basic rigid body physics, room transitions)
-Two weapons: An assault rifle, and a taser
-Basic enemy AI (patrolling, shooting, throwing grenades)
-Basic Turrets
-Environmental Objects (water, elevators, doors, ventilation shafts)
-Around half of the Temple level
-Metro Station area
-Ally AI Companion
-Textboxes and branching dialog
-Hacking

Along with a few other things I probably forgot to list.

More Info

The game has been in progress for about a year. There are still a lot of mechanics I need to flesh out (hacking, more items/weapons, dialog trees, etc...)

If anyone is interested in testing out a short demo of what I have so far, that would be awesome. Just let me know, and I will have it ready in a couple of days.
Beer!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:35:07 PM by ninjutsu63 » Logged

drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »

Looks great! Somewhat reminiscent of Iji (in case you're wondering, that's a GREAT thing). Can't wait to playtest it. Keep up the good work!

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »

I think it's a great idea to have freedom of choice without the tracking of what choices you made - while some saw it as a step into a more immersive world, I think it was a bad movement overall.

While it works in some games, when you're just looking for a fun time, it does not feel good to be punished because you killed someone. The reward systems also tend to be biased in some way - like in Fable, which may have a clear freedom of choice, but the best outcomes seem to always be when you're being constantly good rather than doing what you want.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck Smiley
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »

Ooh, looks nice.  I look forward to seeing more.

Gentleman

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:18:27 AM »

Looks great! Somewhat reminiscent of Iji (in case you're wondering, that's a GREAT thing).
Thank you! Iji was definitely a big inspiration for this project.

I think it's a great idea to have freedom of choice without the tracking of what choices you made - while some saw it as a step into a more immersive world, I think it was a bad movement overall.

While it works in some games, when you're just looking for a fun time, it does not feel good to be punished because you killed someone. The reward systems also tend to be biased in some way - like in Fable, which may have a clear freedom of choice, but the best outcomes seem to always be when you're being constantly good rather than doing what you want.
I agree. It's hardly immersive to wonder whether to kill someone because you want to, or spare his life because you'll unlock a special good guy power.

Ooh, looks nice.  I look forward to seeing more.

Gentleman
Thanks Grin

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »

Testing: If anyone is interested in testing this, let me know. Hopefully I'll have a demo ready sometime in June.

As for actual updates, I've added:
-More versatile ventilation shafts which can be in the floors and ceiling
-An AI state where the AI guards a certain location
-Ironed out the world map:

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »

If anyone is interested in testing out a short demo of what I have so far, that would be awesome. Just let me know, and I will have it ready in a couple of days. Beer!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »

Sure, I'll give it a try.  PM me with the download link when it's ready.

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »

Awesome, looking forward to it  Grin

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:11:22 AM »

Likewise. Smiley

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 06:41:51 AM »

Alright, the private demo has been sent out. If I missed anyone or if anyone else is interested, let me know Gentleman

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 06:59:49 AM »

hey id like to test as well! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 10:53:23 PM »

What I've played of it is pretty solid, and I like the multi-linear approach to gameplay, and cool classic-arcade influence in your hacking system. That's a rather brilliant move!

There is a little graphical bugginess when changing between rooms, but as soon as... that one guy... talks to you, it clears right up. So whatever you're using to refresh the screen there, you might do just after entering a new room. Or, you could just open every room with communication, as an easy/lazy fix to that. A hint that "down" goes through doors instead of up may be nice, too. Wink

About the only thing I'd suggest changing so far, is either adding one pixel to the tazer range, or moving the elevator controls one pixel closer. There's a few areas where the elevator floor is sunk, and you basically have to jump off to hit the switch.

I'm really looking forward to how this turns out, once you fill it in a bit! Nothing gamebreaking so far.

drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 05:29:20 AM »

Sorry if I am signing up a bit late, but I am definitely interested in testing and contributing my two cents. If at all possible, count me in as well.

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 06:14:40 AM »

Thanks for the feedback baconman! A lot of people have been having graphical glitches, I think it's a problem with the surfaces. I'll try and fix that right away.

And I'll PM you right away drChengele.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic