Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:44:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Symbian Hell
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Symbian Hell  (Read 8088 times)
DanDanger
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »

I have started a blog, yes I have indeedy. I've been working with mobile phone operating System "Symbian", and have had such a bad time with it, I just had to warm all other programmers about THE HELL THAT IS SYMBAIN  Cry

http://symbianhell.blogspot.com/

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:05:08 AM »

Beats the shit out of MIDP 1.0 on a T610, though.

It's like Java, except you have to look over your shoulder for performance issues, and there's no particular guarantee of a feature being supported, and no way to detect if that particular feature is indeed supported.

The open-source community really needs to hurry it up and whack some of these cellphone SDK developers.

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:22:44 AM »

The joys of mobile device programming. I've been working with Symbian on and off for almost 2 years now. Good luck with your Symbian adventures, you'll need it.  I'm sure you get through it eventually.
DanDanger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »

Ooo, what sort of stuff you been doing on symbian? I'm writing games (www.cobramobile.com) and have been hurting REAL bad from symbian blues.

At the moment i'm writting a software 3d renderer, it took me about 2 weeks to figure out how to launch an EXE so I can use global variables rather than a DLL.

Any tips you want to share would be most appreciated ^_^

Tongue

ooo, and ravuya, i've done quite a bit of the old java games on mobile and even though java on mobile is a complete abomination, it is still waaaay better than the symbian stuff, which is just...EVIL!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 03:28:13 PM by DanDanger » Logged
the2bears
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »

I feel your pain, writing for mobile is indeed an exercise in frustration.  I did the networking and some games for a mobile multiplayer platform for a few years, still wake up with a cold sweat  Smiley

Bill

the2bears  - the indie shmup blog
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:53:02 PM »

I'm not working on games, but I've worked (and am still working on) a variety of mobile applications for Symbian for my day job. Currently I'm working on Symbian 9 devices (UIQ3 and Nokia series 60) and many of the quirks and restrictions seem to be improved.  Working on UIQ2 apps sucked.  The painful thing about writing a 3D software renderer for any of these devices is dealing with all the fixed point math.  Do you have a decent fixed point library or are you writing that yourself also?
DanDanger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 01:12:57 AM »

I wrote a whole bunch of fixed point maths stuff, including matrix and vector classes. I couldn't find a fixed point library that I liked the look of, do you recommend one?

I rewrote some of the fixed point maths stuff (matrix multiplies and such) using the inline assembler and I actually doubled my frame rate, and that is not a glib exaggeration. This was a bit of an eye opener as I thought "modern compilers" were "far more efficient than writing in assembler", or so I keep reading on the web.

It did take me about a week to figure out how to use the inline assembler as there is NO DOCUMENTATION WHATSOEVER available for it on any of the Symbian/Nokia sites. It came down to a mater of trial and error: write a line in ASM, see if it compiles, write another line, etc..  Cry
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic