Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:57:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsplumbers die every day
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: plumbers die every day  (Read 2653 times)
PlayMeTape
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:46:30 AM »

Hi tigs.

So after reading superbrothers splendid article Less Talk More Rock I was inspired to make a game. A simple, yet entertaining game. You see one of the images in the article reminded me of my love for the versus mode in Super Mario 3. So I decided I wanted to make a split screen platformer game which would hopefully be as addictively fun.

I've been working on it for a little more than a week now with Unity3d. I just recently got an ingame level editor up and running which made me immensely happy. Now it's just a matter of adding objects and balancing things out. I would love to hear what kinds of objects you'd like to see in the first release?

I've spent the weekend cleaning up my code and getting rid of any traces of Unity3ds physics.

I'd love to hear any other feedback you have to offer.

Here's a short video of the game and the ingame editor:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:56:10 AM by Christoffer » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »

Intriguing, and looks like it could be a riot.

I would love to see custom blocksets or characters...

My only real feedback is that it looks like just one hit launches the other player flying, which may not really be fair. But that may just be what I'm seeing from a standing target in the video.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:34:02 AM »

The video looks super awesome. I need to learn moar Unity.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:00:19 AM »

Thanks guys. Smiley

Intriguing, and looks like it could be a riot.

I would love to see custom blocksets or characters...

My only real feedback is that it looks like just one hit launches the other player flying, which may not really be fair. But that may just be what I'm seeing from a standing target in the video.

I've thought about custom blocksets and characters as well. While I see some issues, I don't think it would be impossible. I will have to think about it some.

It might seem like the one hit sent flying is unfair but that's probably just because I'm playing myself. You see the player can actively fight that push by moving the other direction. So he wouldn't fly as far.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:08:06 AM »

oh wow, this looks incredible!  Evil
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »

Wooooooooooooooo! Sir consider me intrigued. My Word!
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »

Sweet.... and you should check this out
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10858.0;topicseen

The gameplay might be different, but I definitely see some similarity. Maybe get new inspiration from the guys.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »

Yeah I can see how this would remind you of it. Monolith seems a tad more relaxed though. This is supposed to be more hectic, crazy fun Wink.

It looks great though.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »

So spikes plus squishy jump boosting cubes have been added.

Any suggestions for other objects?

I've been thinking of adding something like the enemy in Mario which drops those small spiky enemies from clouds. Something which moves back and forth dropping enemies who would walk on platforms. The players would be able to hit these enemies with their mallet(w/e) to launch towards enemy players. Does this sound interesting at all?

Also, I'm having a really hard time coming up with an appealing player character design. Anyone want to offer some advice on that?

Other than this progress has unfortunately been kind of slow this week. I implemented my own simple 2d physics so I've completely rid myself of unitys system (still using their collision system Kiss). Cleaned up a lot of code and stuff.

Anyways, would appreciate any feedback you've got to offer.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »

Looks hilariously fun. And enemies that you can HIT TOWARDS ENEMIES FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE would be awesome. Also, maybe certain blocks that could explode when something hits them.

As for designs. Uh... colors remind me of Steampunk. So Steampunk Plumbers with steam-powered sledge hammers of DEATH?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »

Just use all the mario tiles!
the kid in the clock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »

really cool - love the tired / morose look of the bros
Pages: [1]