Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:47:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Banana Nababa
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Banana Nababa  (Read 8006 times)
im9today
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »

The first collaboration between members of Perfect Run and The Poppenkast, Super Banana Nababa is a remake of Lazrael's infamous (?) classic boss arena game Banana Nababa. It's being made by Bisse (coding), me (graphics) and Phlogiston (music).

We've made a lot of changes to it, given Harry FlowerPower some extra skills, and we've also changed the scoring system: there is none. Instead it's all about the time. The game will save your best times on all difficulties - and it will also save replays of your best runs. There will be an online highscore table if i can get it to work and your replays will be uploaded along with your scores, so everyone can see you kicking ass!

There should be a public demo in the following weeks, but until then let the hype machine clammer to life with these screens. Screens represent a game in development, expect changes, blablabla...

--- GET HYPE:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=psmBPYsvGIU (Is there someway I can embed a video here?)

"Yeah, this will be epic when it's finished. As it is it's close to the level of Cavestory. Beautiful graphics, killer gameplay, and perfect programming. It's like if Lazrool, Im9today, and Bisse made a game together." - ShaneHeres

"I love, love, LOVE your redesign of the main character. He looks like a perpetually annoyed little cat demon thing. He's bursting at the seams with personality. Genius." - Ben2theEdge

"Hot dang, man, that's the best imitation of SNES graphics I think I've ever seen. I remember playing the original, and the gameplay was pretty wicked, too, so this should be one great combo." - Jabberwock

"I think i preffered it when I was the only hedgehog..." - majinsam
serprex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »

Funny, my sister's roommate's brother showed this to me awhile ago. Hard, and good
Nice that you include the source, allows the controls to be modified to one's content
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:11:20 PM by serprex » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:04:02 AM »

Sounds kick ass. I look forward to playing the demo Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:55:36 AM »

I've been following the development of this since I first heard about it sometime ago.. so the sooner the demo is released, the better. Keep up the good work.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:42:19 AM »

Banana nababa was a great little game, very well balanced and scaled. I'm looking forward to the remake Kiss

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »

This stuff is hawt and now that I see it somewhere else then poppenkast it looks even hawter.

Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »

Just went and played the original Banana Nababa, and Goldeneye.

The former worked great and had fullscreen, etc.

The latter did not work at all, it used 1/8 of my screen and ran at 1 FPS. SO here's hoping this one is more like the former.

The latter. Former.
im9today
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »

If you wouldn't mind, Boder, could I get a little more info about that glitch and pass it on to Bisse? I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

I didn't actually work on Goldeneye 2d so I can't really tell you what the problem might be.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 02:51:10 PM by im9today » Logged
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »

Well, I downloaded it again. I don't know how much it'll help as they probably don't want to work on it any more. There is no log file.

The first logo seems to run alright. Starting with the James Bond classic intro, it moves very slowly, in the game my character blinks on for about 3-5 seconds, then off for about 3-5 seconds and I push right and he moves after a few second delay.

Some info that might help. I have an nVidia 6600 GT and my LCD can only do minimum 640x400 fullscreen now. I've had fullscreen troubles with a number of titles like Serious Sam and Eternal Daughter, but this game is ultra-low res like an authentic gameboy game.

The other game that had slowdown was Poyo, which ran about 5 times as fast (maybe 5 frames per second).
Bisse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »

Hey Boder, sorry for the probs. Unfortunely I don't think it's anything I can do anything about, since it's probably GM related - if it lagged once you started playing that would have been one thing and would have had to do with collision checking, but since it lags at the title screen as well, it is most likely a problem with GameMaker. Some GM games just run slow on some PC's for some reason. You can try updating your drivers and such, it might help, or you can try running it on another computer. Other than that I can't help ya, sorry.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 11:35:55 PM »

I don't know much about GM at all, but you might want to try compatibility mode for a previous version of Windows, or setting the processor affinity of the game. Other than that, I'd assume it's a video issue.

im9today
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 12:37:45 PM »

I can see some awesome progress there.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 06:20:57 AM »

looks cool  Grin

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 11:47:17 PM »

Wow. It can safely say it looks great, and I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably gonna play great, too. That Blood Slith character gives me Pokey (from Mario) vibes. Am I alone on that?
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 01:35:15 AM »

Looks really nice, it's sad that it'll hand my arse to me so I'll never get to see the later levels except in screenshot or youtube speedrun form, though. Sad

Any chance of difficulty levels for pussies like myself?

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 02:32:59 AM »

Any chance of difficulty levels for pussies like myself?
The video seems to indicate a "Weak!" difficulty setting, so there's definitely a chance people like us will be able to play this.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 08:28:22 AM »

WOOOOOOOOOOOO! I now fully support this game. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic