Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411744 Posts in 69406 Topics- by 58460 Members - Latest Member: hideworks

May 23, 2024, 09:50:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLegend of JOHNNY
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Legend of JOHNNY  (Read 7367 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »

It's like 99% finished, I'm just moving the cutscenes from their own files into THE file. That's a bit o PC-crippling heavy lifting though, so I thought I'd get this part over with before the final nail in the coffin.

Legend of JOHNNY is an action platformer Flash game. I was aiming for a cross between Devil May Cry and Metal Slug. Also influenced by any game Konjak's ever made, and I guess my own stuff.
It's about a boy named Johnny whos girlfriend gets kidnapped by mysteriously demonic thugs; so he sells his soul for the strength to fight through EIGHT EXPLOSIVE STAGES! and get her back.
This is easily the biggest project I've ever done, and I will not release it half-broken like all my other games. So please report any weird glitch-type stuff, and also tell me if it's any good. Cos I like talking about games.
I could write PAGES about this, but I won't. So here's some screenshots:

I'd make a trailer, but my PC can't capture this game any higher than 1 frame per second Sad
I really wanna make a trailer aswell, so y'know, message me if you wanna help with that.

The last bit is: I can't really post a link. Because of licensing, exclusivity and the amount of time this took to make, it'd be a really dick-move for me to just put it up for everyone to spread around willy-nilly. So as much as I HATE to be the forum guy who says I'VE GOT A SECRET, PM ME 2 FIND OUT WHAT! You are gonna have to PM me for a link. Or actually I guess you could just ask within this thread.
I might not even send it to everyone, I'm worried about this ending up somewhere it shouldn't.

I think that's it...
Here's Johnny dancing with the devil in a night club:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:25:06 PM by I_smell » Logged
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:08:25 AM »

Haha,

I like the humour of the last picture. And I think this game looks really nice! The enemies are weird in a good way too, fighting bulging skin things.. yay!

Anyway, impressive so far. Will be watching! Do you have a development blog or will this be your development source?

CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »

It looks really action packed from those shots. For video recording, you might want to consider fraps.com. It records really fast but the trial version only allow 30 seconds of recording per clip.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:48:49 AM »

ok thanks.
Anyway, impressive so far. Will be watching! Do you have a development blog or will this be your development source?
Well it's gonna be finished in like a couple days, this is just last-minute feedback.

It looks really action packed from those shots. For video recording, you might want to consider fraps.com. It records really fast but the trial version only allow 30 seconds of recording per clip.
That would be PERFECT if fraps could record Flash games. It doesn't, it only records like- .exe games. I even e-mailed the guys and asked.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »

well since you asked, I'll ask for a link. Looks smashing, would love to feel how it plays.
jcsymmes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:39:58 PM »

Not to be hyper critical but something about the art feels kind of off to me. I get the sence that its from two games.

The best way to describe it is that it seems that diffrent art assets are done in diffrent resultion-some art looks significantly more pixely then others, and its distracting. Theres also a sence that its from a slightly diffrent color space-as if the palletes are from diffrent games either.  The life bar in particular seems wrong to me-but subtley.

That said the story looks cute, some of the art assets themselves look fun. This chould be fun. These kind of games are fun.
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »

Not to be hyper critical but something about the art feels kind of off to me. I get the sence that its from two games.
I'd say thing on second screenshot looks like it's cel-shaded 3d model.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »

I've played the first level of this, and I already encountered a rather game breaking bug. It seems that whenever I fall into one of the bottomless pits, I don't die, and the screen starts sliding to the right. It slides past the boss, who pops up out of the ground, and then slides on into endless teal space. The only way to get out of it is to quit to the main menu. It also seems like after that happened, it registered me as having completed level 1.

Other than that, though, I really like it. The combat feels very fluid, the animations look awesome, and I love the small details like that fleeing bystander who gets vaporized at the start of the level.

EDIT: Found some more small glitches:
- In the second level, when you fight the second enemy with blades for hands who spins around in the air - he's standing off the far edge of the screen and you can't quite see him, and since the screen is locked in place until you defeat him, it's impossible to see him until he attacks you, which is annoying.
- When you first go to the level select area, when the guy talks to you and tells you that Satan left a letter for you, it's possible to click on Satan's letter even before you finish going through the dialogue with the guy.
- At the start of the third level, you can see a flash of some other area (presumably later in the level) and then it cuts to where Johnny is. It's only like half a second but it looks unprofessional.

One other thing, I think you should make it more obvious when the player loses a life - like with a big sound effect and explosion or something. When fighting the crab boss, I didn't even notice that I'd lost one of my lives. Also, when the crab boss shoots those little black projectiles, they hit Johnny, but they don't make any sound or graphical effect, which looks a bit cheap and out of place when all the other combat animations are so meaty.

EDIT 2: Another glitch: If you kill a skeleton just before his head explodes, then the explosion will appear where the head was just before he died.

EDIT 3: The text in dialogue boxes changes between two fonts. The first one is the pixel font which I presume you intended to use, the second one looks like Times New Roman.

EDIT 4: After the train moves off at the start of level 5, the two benches on the train platform travel with the train, hovering in the air behind it.

EDIT 5: It seems like the game only saves your equipment settings after you beat a level. It should also save your equipment when you enter a level, so that you don't have to re-equip stuff every time you die.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:04:16 AM by William Broom » Logged

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:35:17 AM »

Ok that was all great stuff I can try n work through. Thanks a whole damn bunch.

Also I've got literally no technical art knowledge. Sometimes the camera zooms out, so that's probably what makes all the lines look too thin in places.
As for colour palette; I didn't think one bit about that through the whole game.
It was all drawn in Flash with the brush tool, just to clarify.

well since you asked, I'll ask for a link. Looks smashing, would love to feel how it plays.

Ok I'll just work on tryina fix these first.
raiten
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 06:58:09 AM »

Great to hear you're back to making flash games instead of being ripped off for minimum pay by some asshole game company! I'd love to give it a playthrough.
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »

I played the demo of this you have on your site a while ago and I loved it! When will this come out?
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »

I played the demo of this you have on your site a while ago and I loved it! When will this come out?
This week, FINGERS X'd
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 02:30:51 AM »

More stuff:
- I really don't like level 7 that much. All the previous levels are full of unique and interesting environments, they're always surprising you. But level 7 is just a series of fights in a single boring environment, against enemies that I've already seen in previous levels. I think you could cut out at least one floor.
- The backgrounds in level 7 really clash with the style of the rest of the game. They look like they've been hand-painted and then pixellated, or something - definitely at odds with the usual vector style.
- You should give the player an option to restart the current level, rather than having to quit to the main menu.

EDIT:
On a similar note, you should let players skip through dialogue/cutscenes if they want. Also, the sound of the text scrolling out in a dialogue box is very grating and annoying.

EDIT 2: Ok, this is really annoying. I got to the area of level 7 which has the mario parody in it. Problem is, when I was climbing up there, one of the enemies (a red devil dude) dropped down to the floor below trying to attack me. Now I can't get back down there, because it's closed off, and the next level won't open until I kill this guy, which I can't do. Very frustrating!

And I want to reiterate, in case it isn't clear, that apart from all the bugs I really love this game.

EDIT 3: I got trapped in the sewers again in the same manner, this time on the floor with the two mushrooms and the floating skull. But this time, as far as I can tell, I had killed all the enemies, so I don't know how that happened, unless the enemy that escaped was an invisible skeleton.

Which reminds me, are the floating skulls supposed to create invisible skeletons? I can't tell if that's a glitch or not. If it isn't, I still think it feels kind of cheap, since if you can't see their heads flashing red, it's impossible to tell when they're about to explode.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:49:49 AM by William Broom » Logged

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 11:51:05 AM »

- I really don't like level 7 that much.
I'm guessing you mean level 6, the sewer level.
It definately has more detail and uses more gradients than the other levels. Also it's kind of a resized jpeg- because this level is so damn big, I couldn't import a good image of it at full size, so it's the only level that has weird image artifacts. So yeah I pretty much agree; again, no art knowledge what-so-ever.

I was pretty set from the start that I wanted 7 levels, and I guess you can class this as the extra one. I like that it's kind of a trap at the start, and I like that you see the boss a couple times before the fight, I like that the boss doesn't attack you or even want to, and I like that you don't fight any enemies for at least half the level. I hate the bit where you climb up 7 floors of enemies though.
This started out as a rising-lava idea where sewage was pouring in and you had to beat each floor before you drowned to progress. It was beating the shit out of me every time though and I took it out- It still does that in HARDCORE mode.
Then I had this idea that you could unlock a survival mode where you'd infinitely fight through harder n harder floors of enemies and bosses. In the end I didn't do that idea, and level 6 is kind of leftovers. I think I'll try n add the rising sewage idea back in and have less enemies.
Also it's so fucking glitched. It's really hard to CHECK if these specific enemies are dead or not, cos they delete themselves when they die [EDIT- I think I've just worked that out actually]. And it's fighting in tight spaces, which is also hard. This level's allways annoyed me.

Oh and the skellingtons should never be invisible. I'll amend everythin else now.

OH- and is anyone buyin anything from the shop and using it? Does anyone not get how that system works?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:05:11 PM by I_smell » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »

OK it's finished!

Big fat roadblocks I fumbled over in the passed couple days, but I kind of sorted it.

If one more person could just play this final version that'd be great, cos I'm terrified of getting a thousand "The boss ran off and I was just stuck there on level 1" reviews.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:21 AM »

I'd be happy to play the new version (I still haven't got past that sewer level, haha)

gkulm1775
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »

thanks,i find it several days
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 06:56:43 AM »

send me a link i wanna play

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »

thanks,i find it several days
What? I think you've got bad translation.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »

The new version is great so far. I found one rather nasty bug - when I was fighting the 'Cannoncrotch' boss, I was hanging from the crate and rolling toward him when suddenly the game froze up, and I got an error message saying "A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash to run slowly, etc." (I'm sure you know the message I'm talking about.)

Also, the AXE cheat doesn't seem to do anything, unless it just makes my attacks stronger without any visual indication?

And there was a glitch with the UFO cheat where when I was fighting the first boss I got teleported to the right and then the game froze up. But I figure you aren't worried about glitches with the UFO since it can just fly out of the playing area anyway.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic