Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:11:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTimelapse Vertigo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Timelapse Vertigo  (Read 2550 times)
Styg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

Timelapse Vertigo is an 2D isometric role-playing game, I've been working on for quite some time now. It draws inspiration from western RPG classics such as Fallout, Arcanum and Neverwinter Nights, but also borrows combat mechanics heavily from modern MMOs, such as WoW.

Features:
-    Rich character customization options through stats, skills, feats, gear, psi abilities and more.
-    Dynamic and challenging real-time combat with many special abilities
-    Procedurally generated areas as well as procedurally generated world map that, coupled with well designed custom areas, should provide great exploration experience and replay value

Story:
The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth's surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast system of metro station-states that, it seems, are the last bastions of a fading race.

The player takes control of one of the denizens of such a station-state whose life is about to become all that much more interesting and dangerous, as our protagonist is caught amidst the conflicting factions of the Underrail as they secretly but violently struggle for the Humanity's last gem of hope.

Alpha 1 demo:
Keep in mind it's mostly placeholder graphics at this point.

You can watch badly commentated low quality videos at YouTube:

or you can download badly commentated high-quality one from here.

Playable demo coming soonish.

Also, have some screenshots.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »

This might be fun though the plot sounds like it derives from fallout a bit much, but that might just be the post apoc setting. the sprites are also kind of meh right now, so they can be improved.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »

You spelled Scavenger wrong. Spell check is important!
Styg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

This might be fun though the plot sounds like it derives from fallout a bit much, but that might just be the post apoc setting. the sprites are also kind of meh right now, so they can be improved.
The settings should become more apparently different from that of Fallout when I get more content done. Fallout is kinda ‘industrial age nuclear apocalypse that happened in recent history’, while this will be more ‘early space age non-nuclear apocalypse that happened quite some time ago’… Hope that makes sense. Smiley

Also, the sprites are placeholders. The blockmen will not make it to production.

drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »

This looks awesome. I like the GUI very much. To be honest it has way too many stats for my preference (Intelligence, Wisdom, Will AND Charisma?) but that's just me. Besides, I guess that means it will have a lot of different build paths and replayability.

Also,
real time combat.
Kiss

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
Styg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »

This looks awesome. I like the GUI very much. To be honest it has way too many stats for my preference (Intelligence, Wisdom, Will AND Charisma?) but that's just me. Besides, I guess that means it will have a lot of different build paths and replayability.

Also,
real time combat.
Kiss

Thanks. Smiley I'm was trying really hard to make the UI comfortable and responsive.

And yeah, the game is intended to be a bit stats heavy.

Styg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »

I've started keeping a dev log at the game's website as well. Anything I've post there will be mirrored here as well, so use whatever is more convenient for you (here's an RSS feed as well). Anyways...

The Crafting System

When I started thinking about the crafting system for Timelapse, I knew I wanted to make something that would allow creating a great variety of items, but without getting into a situation where I’d commit to creating just a bunch of crafting blueprints for completely custom items.

So I thought that well since I’m already planning to implement a random item generation, I could leverage that in making the system more robust. So here’s how it goes:

Instead of creating a blueprint for every single item you’d be able to create, I’ll be implementing just one per every type of craftable item, such as: one for each weapon and armor type, one for every gadget / medical item, etc.

Now while some of these blueprints will define very strictly the components they need, most will just require an item of certain type and allow you to provide any variation of such. This will allow you to vary the crafted items in two ways: first, you can provide any of the subtypes of the item available, each contributing different bonuses/penalties; and secondly, the provided item can be of varying quality which allows for item scaling and, basically, reuse of the blueprint throughout the entire game by just providing the required components of greater and greater quality.

So, for example, let’s say we have a blueprint that creates leather armor from a hide of some genetically mutated beastie. So let’s also say that there are a few different types of these beasts, each of which hides provide different bonuses; and also, the quality of the hide is tied to the level of the beast itself, so as you are able to kill tougher beasts, you obtain better hides, and this allows you to make better armor.

Now let’s also add another component to this blueprint and let’s make this component optional. For example, you could be able to create an overcoat for your armor suit that would perhaps grant you some additional damage resistance, or a stealth bonus. So basically this component would also have similar variations as the first.

So you can see that adding components to a blueprint increases the number of variations of the resulting item exponentially.

As for the crafting requirements, they will be tied to the components used. So each component will have certain technology skills related to it, and the component’s quality will determine how high the skills have to be to use this component in a blueprint.

Mind you, this is not set in stone yet, and implementation details may evolve and change over time to balance it out, but the general idea will remain.

Styg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »

Removing charisma, Alpha 2 demo

I've decided to remove charisma from the base stats pool. I did this for two reasons:

First, currently there's only a single skill based on charisma (persuasion). While I could make the social skills more granular, that's exactly the thing I want to avoid. In fact, persuasion was originally separated into three skills, but I decided I don't want to offer too many non-combat skills as I suspect they wouldn't be used much over the combat ones anyway. Which leads me to the second reason.

I think that having a non-combat base stat in a heavily combat oriented game is bad design, and since I can't and won't incorporate charisma into combat, I'm removing it.

Persuasion will now be based on wisdom. I guess I could base it on intelligence as well, but since another social skill (mercantile) is already based on that, I think this would allow for more variety.

In other news, I'm planning to release a playable alpha 2 demo sometimes mid to late august. It's still an alpha build, so it won't include that much: just a few missions with some dialogs, trading and combat. Below are screenshots of a few areas I was working on recently:

Styg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »

Alpha 2 demo video

Check it out

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic