Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:59:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingManufactoria: A Game About Putting Robots In Their Place
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Author Topic: Manufactoria: A Game About Putting Robots In Their Place  (Read 146284 times)
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: October 19, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »

Thanks for writing! It's always good to see new players.

The behavior you're seeing is by design, not a bug. A blank tape isn't a valid binary number in Manufactoria; the output for it is undefined. None of the binary levels test for it, and the sandbox's output is pretty arbitrary. "0" will always be expressed as one or more reds.

Anyway, let me know if you find any more problems! I'm always happy to help. Within reason.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
rmzalbar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »

I guess I can either go with the more efficient design that accepts undefined states, or the (perhaps) more robust solution that rejects them. Raa!

Thank you for this truly challenging game!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:01:15 AM by rmzalbar » Logged
blagh
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »

Late to the party! But it is such a fantastic game. I was stuck on a couple for a bit, then realised I could flip the switches XD Spent forever trying to figure out impossible routes.

One thing I might add, although it pretty much amounts to syntactic sugar: a reject tile, simply to remind myself when I want to kill off a robot (and prevent myself from putting paths from accepting states across it).
rednacid
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 22, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »

Hi. Lovely game you have here. I was fascinated by brainf**k, Turing machines and was positively thrilled to find a puzzle game based on similar concepts.

Today Firefox 4 was launched and it brought with it this bug (MacOSX):
Short version: Bridging does not work. Shift functions as the 'a' key, not bridging.
Procedure to repeat:
0. Start the game in firefox 4 MacOSX (10.6.6 3GB Ram Core2Duo 2.66 GHz).
1. Launch any level.
2. Press '1', 'e' and click in the middle square.
3. press 'd'
4. press and hold 'shift' and click on the same middle square.
This should build a bridge from left to right, instead it builds a conveyor belt from right to left and overwrites the previous conveyor belt.

Workaround: Play the game in Safari instead.

I can't confirm that this problem occurs on every mac with Firefox 4, but if anyone can repeat it, please post so I know it is not just a local problem.
It worked on the same machine with Firefox 3.6 before the upgrade.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »

Hello! Glad you liked the game. (Both of you!)

Unfortunately, the bug you're describing sounds like it's outside my control - some kind of FF4/Flash interface bug. And it's on a Mac, so I can't even test it! My best recommendation would be to continue using Safari (or Chrome, which should also still work) until the bug is fixed on Mozilla/Adobe's end.

Sorry I couldn't help more!

And others on my site.
jgohde
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 28, 2011, 06:26:23 AM »

Recently heard about this game and I enjoy it greatly. I only have Generals and Engineers to go.

However, while it is probably my own fault, I missed the help lines about conveyor bridging as well as branch flipping. I didn't know to look for them, and if I saw them the text beyond click to place didn't register as something I should be concerned about.

Yes, this means I've had some interesting routing going on and I've been forced to carefully consider the layout of some levels. On the other hand, routing the remaining couple levels should be easier.

Thanks for a great game.
synthesis
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »

Really love the game. Brings back memories of having to build Turing machines in my logic classes.

Thanks for building it.

Bernhard.
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: April 29, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »

I'm REALLY late to this party it appears, but I love the game.  Such great programming challenges, and fun.  I'll have to read through this thread to see what I've missed (after I finish all of the puzzles).  Again, great game!  Thanks.
IcyMidnight
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 29, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »

I found this game last night thanks to Notch and lost out on an hour of sleep! Super fun!  Grin

It would be nice if I could keep my progress across computers so that when I'm obsessing about a puzzle while I'm out, I can bust open my Chromebook or something.

Also, is there any chance of a mobile (Android) port? I'd pay money for that!  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2012, 06:59:43 AM »

I found this game last night thanks to Notch and lost out on an hour of sleep! Super fun!  Grin

It would be nice if I could keep my progress across computers so that when I'm obsessing about a puzzle while I'm out, I can bust open my Chromebook or something.

Also, is there any chance of a mobile (Android) port? I'd pay money for that!  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

People have been suggesting a mobile port for a while, but my current policy is to prefer working on newer games rather than porting existing one(s). That may change at some point, but I also lack an Android to develop on, so that's unlikely to be a target platform in the case of a port.

And others on my site.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »

Oh wow, it's been over 2 years since the first public version of this? Still love it to pieces! :D

Haha, I realised a game on Android without owning an Android device, I just built it with AIR and sent it out to some testers...

My guess would be that the biggest problem with a mobile version using the current code and AIR would be fitting everything into the smaller screen space. If you ever want to investigate that possibility, let me know and I'd be up for helping out!

Kabuto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2012, 04:27:16 AM »

Just finished all levels. Nice game!

I accidentally played the game on "extreme difficulty" since I didn't notice that it's possible to cross conveyors and flip branches. So I had to invent special solutions for situations that wouldn't arise during "normal" gameplay.

For anyone who's interested here's my solution for the most difficult level (obeying the limitations mentioned above). It just barely fits into the available space.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:20:32 AM by Kabuto » Logged
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2012, 06:55:08 AM »

Oh wow, it's been over 2 years since the first public version of this? Still love it to pieces! :D

Haha, I realised a game on Android without owning an Android device, I just built it with AIR and sent it out to some testers...

My guess would be that the biggest problem with a mobile version using the current code and AIR would be fitting everything into the smaller screen space. If you ever want to investigate that possibility, let me know and I'd be up for helping out!

Aw, thanks! I'll let you know.

And others on my site.
polarbeargarden
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »

I accidentally played the game on "extreme difficulty" since I didn't notice that it's possible to cross conveyors and flip branches. So I had to invent special solutions for situations that wouldn't arise during "normal" gameplay.

I'm so incredibly glad I found this post, because I've been doing the same thing and finding myself spending more time trying to logistically fit everything without crossing paths. This should save some time (although I do kind of enjoy the logistics challenge that is trying to fit everything in without bridges). =]
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: June 05, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »

I'm so incredibly glad I found this post, because I've been doing the same thing and finding myself spending more time trying to logistically fit everything without crossing paths. This should save some time (although I do kind of enjoy the logistics challenge that is trying to fit everything in without bridges). =]

There was a recent Reddit post on the front page of the programming subreddit, featuring Manufactoria. I was amused, reading the comments, to see the number of people who had the exact same problem.

If I ever end up porting/re-releasing Manufactoria, that's definitely something I'll fix.

(Bonus trivia: in older versions of Manufactoria, the behavior was reversed: placing one conveyor belt over another would bridge by default. The current system is nicer once you understand it, but...)

And others on my site.
Papy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »

People have been suggesting a mobile port for a while, but my current policy is to prefer working on newer games rather than porting existing one(s). That may change at some point, but I also lack an Android to develop on, so that's unlikely to be a target platform in the case of a port.
Android devices can play Flash games and Manufactoria does work. In full screen mode it looks good (at least on a 10" tablet). The only problem is the interface is not that great without a mouse and a keyboard. In particular, as far as I know, there is no way to do a shift-click.

Right now, when we click on an item, the box containing the item goes white and a copy of the item follows the mouse. When we click on a "Rotate" button or on the "Flip" button, it's the copy of the item which is changed (which is obvious since there is no more an item inside the original box).

This doesn't work well when there is no mouse. I think that simply drawing a big rectangle around the item to show that it is selected when we click on it, and then changing the image of the item inside the box when we click on a rotate or flip button would be much better. The last touch would probably be to completely hide the mouse pointer as it looks clumsy on a touch screen.

Of course, the most important thing would be to add a "Shift" toggle button.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: June 15, 2012, 09:41:05 PM »

Android devices can play Flash games and Manufactoria does work. In full screen mode it looks good (at least on a 10" tablet). The only problem is the interface is not that great without a mouse and a keyboard. In particular, as far as I know, there is no way to do a shift-click.

Right now, when we click on an item, the box containing the item goes white and a copy of the item follows the mouse. When we click on a "Rotate" button or on the "Flip" button, it's the copy of the item which is changed (which is obvious since there is no more an item inside the original box).

This doesn't work well when there is no mouse. I think that simply drawing a big rectangle around the item to show that it is selected when we click on it, and then changing the image of the item inside the box when we click on a rotate or flip button would be much better. The last touch would probably be to completely hide the mouse pointer as it looks clumsy on a touch screen.

Of course, the most important thing would be to add a "Shift" toggle button.

Oh, I hadn't remembered that Android devices can run Flash! If it runs well, that's fantastic; much simpler than doing a native port.

I'm not currently working on such a port (I'm working two new, semi-secret games), but if/when I do, I'll take your advice into account! It's very useful feedback.

Thanks!

And others on my site.
Papy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 16, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

In case you are interested is seeing what Manufactoria looks like on a tablet, here's a video :

(sorry for the shaky cam).

You can see the game is quite playable, except for the fact that it's impossible to create bridges. Maybe the simplest solution to make it fully playable would be to simply go back to the behavior of creating bridges by default.

And just in case this might motivate you a bit, I just made a 10$ donation.  Wink

(Hint to everyone else : It would be great if other people like me who have an Android tablet would do the same. 10$ is not much, but if 20 other people also made a donnation, it might be a better motivation!)
rmsgrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 23, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »

The Malevolence Engine is out of patience!

My solution to Politicians (two blues per red) is correct (I assert) and only uses 31 pieces, but Malevolence gets bored with the less-than-optimal time taken.

Solution: http://pleasingfungus.com/Manufactoria/?lvl=22&code=g12:2f3;c12:3f3;c12:11f3;c12:12f3;b13:4f0;r9:3f2;q10:2f5;p10:3f1;b11:3f0;p11:4f0;r11:5f1;p12:4f7;c10:4f3;c10:5f3;q12:5f6;g12:6f3;p12:7f7;i12:8f1;q12:9f6;c13:6f0;c13:7f3;p13:8f7;q14:6f1;p14:7f5;p14:8f2;b14:9f1;r15:7f0;c12:10f3;q10:6f3;r11:6f2;r11:2f2;

The machine runs a two-pass algorithm, first sorting the string by repeatedly stripping the first red to the end of the string until there are no blues after the first red, and second repeatedly stripping the first two blues and the first red from the sorted string.

Worst case length n string for the machine would be n-1 reds followed by a single blue
dustyw
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 30, 2012, 03:05:04 AM »

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I have several spare Android devices laying around.  I'd happily ship you one if it meant you'd make an Android port of this game, but it's more efficient to just use the emulator that comes with the Android SDK (free).  We can't rely on Flash working on Android since Adobe is withdrawing Flash Player support from Android.  You probably could lean on Adobe AIR to port this and it might be good enough, but a native port would be better.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic