Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1396206 Posts in 67347 Topics- by 60500 Members - Latest Member: sporbis

October 28, 2021, 09:21:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallOgmo Editor
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Ogmo Editor  (Read 33599 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 12:12:21 AM »

I can't download this right now and managed just glance your site. Anyways how well ogmo supports Game Maker? I have had couple of platform projects in past which fell because of good level editor. I'm not sure how well gm handles xml so is there support for it or are you going to make some example loading scripts etc. for gm environment?

ChevyRay
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 01:01:10 AM »

GML doesn't have any functions for handling XML, stupidly enough, but it would not be to painful to write one, especially as far as the simple format of OE's level editor is involved. I might do so, but I'm busy for the next few days with stuff.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 07:00:52 AM »

Yea, I though so as I have never heard about xml support for gm and my knowledge isn't enough to create a way around it :/ It would be nice if somekind way would be made as xml is pretty efficient and nice to use for several things.

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 08:25:10 PM »

GML doesn't have any functions for handling XML, stupidly enough, but it would not be to painful to write one, especially as far as the simple format of OE's level editor is involved. I might do so, but I'm busy for the next few days with stuff.

That would be amazing... I'm rooting for you!

Shiny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »

I wrote this XML parser in GML a while back. Maybe it could be useful.

I'm fairly certain that you'll need GM8 Pro to use it, though.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=462882
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »

For any XNA kiddos who lurk around in here I've released my XNA library and content pipeline extensions for Matt's awesome editor.  You can hit it up at http://www.thedeadpixelsociety.com/2010/04/ogmoxna-released/.

Thanks Matt!

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »

the guy next to me at TOJam says "Damn you, Ogmo!!"

something about having huge tiles making the editor freak out and be as fast as crippled snails
ChevyRay
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 06:29:01 PM »

Yeah I find that tilemaps in general seem to be quite slow in the editor. I had a 800x600 room with 16x16 tiles in it and there was about half second delay between my click and the tile actually appearing at first, and once I had the room full of tiles that moved up to just about a second. Might need re-thinking on tile placement to be more size-friendly.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »

Suggestions so far:

-- Add layer values (for such as transparency or parallax)
-- Allow tiles to be returned as a value based on their tilemap position instead of tx/ty

ChevyRay
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 08:28:27 PM »

-- Allow tiles to be returned as a value based on their tilemap position instead of tx/ty

You can do this by setting exportTileIDs="true", like this:

<tiles name="tiles_bg" gridSize="16" drawGridSize="64" exportTileIDs="true"/>

EDIT: Oops, I was wrong, it just replaces "tx" and "ty" with "id". So yeah, you can use this above.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:33:52 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »

Loving the editor, but with a couple of issues.

Issues:
- Too slow. Once you have a reasonable amount of tiles put down, say 600 by 400 pixels divided into 16 by 16 blocks, it grinds to a halt. Kinda unusable on bigger levels.

Requests:
- Brushes. The ability to grab multiple tiles from a set and place them all at once.
- The ability to have a 1x1 border in a tileset, and have it taken out (not a big issue)
- The ability to have a different export format for tilesets. Having a csv format similar to the way grids export:
Code:
would be great.

Hope to see this keep going  Hand Metal Right
jovoc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 06:42:28 AM »

Hey there!

I tried out OGMO editor in my LD48 game last weekend, and it worked great -- exceeded my expectations. Fantastic editor.

game link: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2010/04/25/galapagos-final/

Even though my game as two-and-a-half-D anddidn't seem like a very good fit for ogmo, the project system was flexible enough for me to use it. I make a second layer with a tileset with numbers on it, and used those to set the elevation of the tiles. Worked flawlessly.

Anyways, great job, especially the object/value system, this was really flexible and let me get away with putting a lot in the editor and avoiding having to code more stuff. I ran out of time before I could try the node stuff (I was going to use it for boats and bridges) but it looks super delicious.

Some feedback from the experience:
  • Very, very slow on large maps. This would be a showstopper for certain games.
  • No problems with the xml format, great work there.
  • Would be nice to have a quick "reload tileset image" button
  • I could see the "terrain" layer thru the "elev" layer, but not vice-versa.
  • Would be nice to be able to copy/paste actors
  • Be great if tool windows were resizable, esp. with for large text blocks.

Anyways, thanks so much for releasing this in time for LD48, and great work.

jovoc (joel)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »

It's great to see OE being used for something as awesome as Ludum Dare and helping people get more done.

I know tile layers are pretty painfully slow right now. Finding a way to speed them up is at the top of my to-do list.

In other news, I just set up a forum for the editor so we can stop bumping this topic (and have things a bit more organized):
http://ogmoeditor.com/forum

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »

Can't you pre-render the tile layer and just blit it to screen?

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »

Can't you pre-render the tile layer and just blit it to screen?

Already am Smiley

(although by blit I mean passing it to Flash's vector renderer, but the slow part isn't the rendering, it's adding/removing tiles and storing undo/redo states)

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »

Sorry for the bump guys. Just wanted to let people know that I've optimized the tile layer stuff in a recent update and the problem seems to be fixed. So if you were avoiding using the editor because tile layers were slow, it may be worth it to give it another go.

Other recent updates include object rotation and duplication Smiley

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »

can it handle a stage, say, the size of a super mario world level?

gwar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »

Hey it looks great, for an <object>'s image attribute is there a way to use a "tile" from a tileset or specify a section of an image to use? Have been looking, couldn't find.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »

Yep! Use imageOffsetX and imageOffsetY. All the object XML values are in the table at the end of this tutorial chapter: http://ogmoeditor.com/help/getting_started/index.html#6

Also, I'm working on Ogmo Editor 2 right now which has a lot of new features. The main new features are:
  • In-editor project editor (no more editing XML files by hand!)
  • Tabbed level editing, so you can have many levels open at once
  • Level-wide undo/redo (there's no longer layer-specific undo stacks, so now you can even undo stuff like level resizing)

It's also written in C# now, so mac support will be officially dropped (sorry guys), but memory use and speed will be much improved.

Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »

Also, I'm working on Ogmo Editor 2 right now which has a lot of new features. The main new features are:
  • In-editor project editor (no more editing XML files by hand!)
  • Tabbed level editing, so you can have many levels open at once
  • Level-wide undo/redo (there's no longer layer-specific undo stacks, so now you can even undo stuff like level resizing)

It's also written in C# now, so mac support will be officially dropped (sorry guys), but memory use and speed will be much improved.

Oh, this sounds great! I'm currently using Ogmo Editor for a small project, it's fantastic to hear you're still adding things. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic