Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:40:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallOgmo Editor
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Ogmo Editor  (Read 35871 times)
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »

This looks cool but it doesn't work at all for me. It doesn't even start all that happens is a small window appears and disappears almost instantly. Windows 7 64 bit
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »

Okay uploaded a new version that should have the tileset loading bug fixed!

ChevyRay
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »

OH MAN MATT'S ON A FIXIN SPREEEEE.

Good work guys, thanks for reporting all these bugs! Smiley Can't wait 'til I have an excuse to use this for a project/game jam/etc.
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »

MORE BUGS

When starting up (my internet may have been screwy at the time):
Code:
************** Exception Text **************
System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.twitter.com'
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request, IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBitsResponseCallback(IAsyncResult result)

After adding tiles and layers to my project and clicking apply:
Ah, now that I think about it, this is probably happening because I'm deleting the default layer and adding just tile layers. When I leave the default Grid there, it works fine. I'm guessing I need at least one Grid layer.
Code:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at OgmoEditor.Windows.TilePaletteWindow.onLayerChanged(LayerDefinition layerDefinition, Int32 index)
   at OgmoEditor.Ogmo.LayerCallback.Invoke(LayerDefinition layerDefinition, Int32 index)
   at OgmoEditor.Windows.LayersWindow.SetLayer(Int32 index)
   at OgmoEditor.Windows.LayersWindow.initFromProject(Project project)
   at OgmoEditor.Ogmo.ProjectCallback.Invoke(Project project)
   at OgmoEditor.Ogmo.FinishProjectEdit(FinishProjectEditAction action)
   at OgmoEditor.ProjectEditors.ProjectEditor.onClose(Object sender, FormClosedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosed(FormClosedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Another error when adding an Entity, adding a string type value to it, setting its max characters to 20, clicking the "Default" text entry field, then clicking another field (leaving the Default field empty).
Code:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and length must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: length
   at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
   at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
   at OgmoEditor.ProjectEditors.ValueDefinitionEditors.StringValueDefinitionEditor.enforceMaxChars()
   at OgmoEditor.ProjectEditors.ValueDefinitionEditors.StringValueDefinitionEditor.defaultTextBox_Validated(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnValidated(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PerformControlValidation(Boolean bulkValidation)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

Reuploaded, those should be fixed!

There might be a weird server-side caching problem on my site where it's still serving up the old version download after I upload the new one. To make sure you have the right version, click Ogmo->About. Most recent right now is 2.0.0.13

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »

Oh man I hope it works on my computer.  I'll let you know if I have any issues on Windows 7 64-bit when I get home.  Ogmo Editor 1 worked fine.

hi
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »

I don't know if this is just how I had my Ogmo 1 setup, but the levels don't output the same way.  The old Ogmo exported tiles with a tx and ty value rather than an id.  And the x and y were the x and y value on the screen, not on the grid (ie, the old Ogmo would output x = 32, y = 16, while the ew one outputs x = 2, y = 1).  I prefer the way the new Ogmo outputs, as it makes parsing it for Flashpunk easier, but I think the difference is causing old levels not to be able to load in Ogmo 2. 

In general, it would be nice for Ogmo 2 to have a bit more leniency in loading levels.  Like if it runs into an object that isn't in the project file, it just doesn't load it rather than crashing the program, or if it runs into a tx and ty variable instead of a id, it could convert it.  Especially with how in flux Ogmo 2 seems to be right now, it would be nice to be sure that levels won't suddenly stop working because the way the program loads files changed.

wademcgillis
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2011, 02:39:28 PM »

Ogmo Editor 2.0.0.13 work fine on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Also, I second Alec's suggestion of skipping over unknowns so the program doesn't crash.  Apoplectic
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »

Alec: All good feedback, I'll work on that for the next version.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »

Thanks!   Beer!  I've officially started editing my code in my current project to load Ogmo 2 levels.  It's coming along really nicely!

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »

Okay, just uploaded 2.0.0.14.

• Project editor won't let you set a grid size to <= 0
  • Tile palette draws the tileset scaled down now if it is too big for it
  • On level load, ignores unrecognized entity tags
  • On level load, use defaults for entity width/height/angle if those attributes are missing
  • Split tile XML export into two types: by ID and by Co-ords (tx/ty, ala Ogmo 1). In addition, XML-ID mode should be able to load XML-Coord levels and vice versa.

ChevyRay
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »

I'll just put my suggestions here as well, so it's easier for you to go through them all and list what you like/dislike. They're mostly usability/aesthetic suggestions, obviously.

Grid Zooming
In the Hollow's Deep editor, I draw the grid on the HUD matrix and just transform the line positions globally, so when I zoom out or zoom in, the grid lines don't scale as well. It's nice to be able to zoom out and still see the grid and not have it disappear if you're < 1x.

Object Selection
Depending on what colors you're using, it can be difficult to tell which objects are selected. Visually, white is probably a better color to use than green/yellows, as the latter often get lost in the game colors. I suggest having a white filled box (50% transparency) behind the object when selected, with a hard (non-transparent) white outline when an object is selected.

Origins
Origins still work weird, and the selection size of objects don't line up with the visuals. Best if these match, so I can see where/how I have an object selected. Also, it might be worth it to draw a little crosshair or something at the entity's "origin", so it is obvious where the object is actually positioned. This is useful to be able to visually parse when laying things out and lining things up.

Is there a way to click an object, hold a button down that makes the tool switch to "move" mode, and then once I've moved the object, I can just release that hotkey to return to selection mode? I really need a good toolflow for selecting/moving objects in order to use a level editor, and I believe this was in Ogmo 1.

EDIT: More

Rotation is insanely spazzy for me? I keep changing the rotation increment number, but my block seems to just spin around incoherently when I move the mouse, and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing to make it rotate properly?

Also, even so, will it be possible to disable rotation increment? If I want to be able to just rotate things freely, and to some kind of precision if I want by zooming? Feels like that should be the default, I rarely need to rotate objects by 45 degree increments or anything like that.

Usually what software will do (eg. Unity, Photoshop, Flash, etc.) is allow you to rotate freely, but have a field you can punch in the numbers manually. So if you want a specific 90-degree rotation, or specifically a 2x scale, you can just pop over and hammer in the number where the object selection/info is. Worth considering.

Great work so far Smiley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:42:57 AM by ChevyRay » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2011, 11:17:46 AM »

The level I've been trying out Ogmo 2 with now won't load after I updated.  It returns this error:

EDIT:  I figured out that this error seems to happen with levels that are larger than the default size.  If I change the default size, the level loads properly.

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at OgmoEditor.LevelData.Layers.GridLayer.SetXML(XmlElement xml)
   at OgmoEditor.LevelData.Level.LoadFromXML(XmlDocument xml)
   at OgmoEditor.LevelData.Level..ctor(Project project, String filename)
   at OgmoEditor.Ogmo.OpenLevel()
   at OgmoEditor.MainWindow.openLevelToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Old levels still don't work, and return this error:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at OgmoEditor.LevelData.Level.LoadFromXML(XmlDocument xml)
   at OgmoEditor.LevelData.Level..ctor(Project project, String filename)
   at OgmoEditor.Ogmo.OpenLevel()
   at OgmoEditor.MainWindow.openLevelToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:25:47 AM by Alec S. » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2011, 12:29:15 PM »

Having figured out what was going on with the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error, I managed to make some tweaks to the level file for that level I wasn't able to load a while back, and can now show you this:

Just figured you'd like to see the result of the Ogmo Editor 2.

wademcgillis
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »

Kiss

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE! TAKE THIS.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »

That looks amazing Alec Grin

Also I figured out your non-default size crash. I'll upload a new version sometime tonight and incorporate some of Chevy's feedback too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:08:27 PM by Matt Thorson » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »

That looks amazing Alec Grin

Thanks!  One of the things that's really great about the new editor is that it makes it much easier to block out levels.  I can use the rectangle tool to quickly plan out areas of ground, cliff, water, ect... and then fill in the details with the line and pen tools.

Plus, I can have the edges of the levels look however I want, and have it follow through to the next screen by copy-pasting the edge.  Before I just had a default level template with room entrances and exits at the center of each side.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »

Decided to just upload 2.0.0.15 with a few changes:

• No longer crashes when loading levels with non-default size
  • Editing grid draws at all zoom levels now (and looks way better at higher zoom levels)

I'll get through the rest of your feedback tomorrow Chevy

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »

2.0.0.16 in time for Ludum Dare!

• Layers now write their export mode to level files, so if you switch export modes later it will still be able to load old levels.
  • Redid the entity window, it's much easier to find the stuff you want now (thanks for the suggestions Chevy)

ffjboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2011, 05:24:24 AM »

Hey! Great job on the second beta. There's all this buzz about it an I loved the first Ogmo, but I can't run the second one. I've run as admin, downloaded .NET etc, nothing is working
I don't even get an error, it just doesn't run at all. Double click >load > nothing.
I'm using 32 Bit windows 7, I've tried running in comparability of other OSs, but nothing. thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic