Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:41:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGVideo Game Name Generator Competition
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Name Generator Competition  (Read 189242 times)
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »

Perhaps there ought to be a thread for suggestions of fragments for the VGNG v2.0?

I mean, Australian things are funny and all, but we're going to see a lot of games about platypuses, kangaroos, and things in the Outback.
Advenith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »

Alright, I'm gonna give "Barbie's Hamster Syndrome" a shot. If I don't complete it, I'll be shamed and exiled. Or I'll just feel bad for a couple minutes. Whatever.

heLLo,       ciTiZen. we can heaR everYthing you sAy.        we know wHat you taLK about, we knOw wHat you hear, and we knoW what you rEAd. sUbversiVe fiLth. yoUr kind wiLl be clEansed from the eArth. why     reSiSt? eVen if wE can't      finD you, the druGs will. it's Only a mAtter of tiMe.
Zaphos
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »

Which one is awesomer?
I love 'Radical Dentist in the Magic Kingdom', but I have no idea what game that would correspond to!
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2008, 01:45:48 AM »

I am currently working on:

Ace Starkiller in:

Hillbilly Burger Bastards!

Not sure if I'll finish in time since I'm designing it to integrate into a larger game I'm working on, but I'll try.  A screenshot for you:

In case it isn't apparent, I'm making a semi-traditional adventure game with c-64 style graphics.  There will be action, however, so bring your shooting irons!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2008, 05:13:29 AM »

Hillbilly Burger Bastards!

Judging from the lack of hillbillies and burgers I suspect that you've been working on a totally unrelated game for a while and just decided to slap a random name on it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2008, 05:27:58 AM »

Jump to conclusions much?  I started working on this on March 4th, and just because you don't immediately see burgers and hillbillies doesn't mean they don't exist in the game.

Attitudes like yours are neither constructive nor useful.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »

You sound awfully defensive.  But whatever, I'll take your word for it... it's all about hillbillies and hamburgers.  In space.  With loansharks and lazer pistols and space-pirates.

Roll Eyes

tweet tweet @j_younger
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2008, 06:46:37 AM »

I think I'm going to go for Invisible Platypus Pinball.  It'll probably be a cold day indeed in hell if I actually manage to finish it in time though.

I'll make a thread for it when I've got something vaguely interesting to show.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 06:50:59 AM by mjau » Logged
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2008, 07:51:10 AM »

You sound awfully defensive.  But whatever, I'll take your word for it... it's all about hillbillies and hamburgers.  In space.  With loansharks and lazer pistols and space-pirates.

Ah, so it's the old 'you're being defensive because you replied to my comment in order to refute my asinine remarks' strawman, eh?  Do me a favor: don't play or show interest in the game in any way, that way when other people play it and find all these things it's apparently lacking because they aren't in a screenshot you can continue to say they aren't there!  Yay for you!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »

Cool your jets buddies. ProgZmax, From the screen shot, it's very easy to surmise that you are just slappin' a name on another game. This is cool, its not like there is any victory involved save personal ones, I look forward to your entry because I enjoy adventure games. If it has Space-hillbillys with their Astrocamaros up on Quantum cyder blocks, eating Grograx burgers from McDonalds, also their parents weren't married when they were conceived, that would be cool. Also Deadeye's statement wasn't a strawman, he didn't attack anything that he himself brought to the table.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2008, 10:24:42 AM »

Ah, so it's the old 'you're being defensive because you replied to my comment in order to refute my asinine remarks' strawman, eh?  Do me a favor: don't play or show interest in the game in any way, that way when other people play it and find all these things it's apparently lacking because they aren't in a screenshot you can continue to say they aren't there!  Yay for you!

No, I said you were defensive because you didn't try to clarify the situation, you simply went for the attack.  And instead of admitting fault for posting a decidedly vague screenshot and description, you placed the blame on me for "misunderstanding."

I call it like I see it... you say your game is about hillbillies and hamburgers.  There's nothing of those elements in your screenshot.  You mention that you're "integrating it into a larger game you're working on,"  which makes me suspect that you already have unrelated game elements from another project that you're just plugging in.  And even if you are, that's totally fine for you.  And as far as I can tell that's totally fine for the competition too, the main purpose of which is to inspire people to make something.  TeamQuiggan is is right in that regard... there aren't any victories except personal ones.  If you feel that any victory you achieve using such methods is rewarding then good on you.  I owe you no such favor.

On the other hand, if the hillbilly and hamburger content of your game trumps all other elements then I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong.  Now, how about we quit shitting up the compo thread, eh?  That's what making your own thread is for Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
detergent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »

Oh yeah, I'm doing the dentist game.

Will post a topic later  Grin
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »

Why does this competition end the day I go on spring break.  Oh well this is more important then finals week I guess and I'm already a good percent done...
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2008, 04:38:54 AM »

There's nothing of those elements in your screenshot.  You mention that you're "integrating it into a larger game you're working on,"  which makes me suspect that you already have unrelated game elements from another project that you're just plugging in.

But by your logic, if you were looking at a screenshot of Doom that showed a fairly well-lit corridor you'd say there must be no Doom in the game because you can't immediately see or feel it.  This is what I meant when I wrote that your comment was asinine, because you can't logically infer the total content of a game from a single image.  As for integrating it into another game: the other game is a pseudo-life simulation, where you can use a computer and play faux-computer games or visit an arcade (and this will be one of them).  Coming out and accusing people of cheating without any proof is uncool (and I think you know this), especially when they are ultimately providing you with something you don't have to pay to play, and labeling someone as defensive for standing up for themselves is just another way to try and say your behavior was acceptable. 

I look forward to your entry because I enjoy adventure games. If it has Space-hillbillys with their Astrocamaros up on Quantum cyder blocks, eating Grograx burgers from McDonalds, also their parents weren't married when they were conceived, that would be cool.

I don't know what your taste in games is adventure-wise but there will be some action elements in the game that may turn off the more old school adventure game players.  Hopefully you don't mind taking a blaster to bad guys Wink.  As far as a literal depiction of hillbillies...I'll just say that the title of the game is a translation-error-approximation akin to Donkey Kong ^_^ -- but on the part of aliens, obviously! 

And I'll just apologize generally for getting annoyed and cluttering this thread, I just expected more of a positive response!
Movius
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2008, 02:50:05 AM »

Hello, I'm here for the lynching that I believe was scheduled at this hour
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2008, 03:01:54 AM »

Good, you're right on time!  Well, here it is:

Movius
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2008, 04:23:21 AM »

oh i see, you're eating the clues again.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2008, 04:28:24 AM »

Here, let me fix that for you.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2008, 06:07:07 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss

tweet tweet @j_younger
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2008, 10:04:23 AM »

well shit, I was honestly under the impression that this thing ended on the 20th and have been budgeting my workload accordingly...

wow, I may actually get to all the things on my to-do list!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic