Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:51:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGVideo Game Name Generator Competition
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Name Generator Competition  (Read 189243 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »

and force him to play all of the games

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »

All right, since I have no life, I went and made a list of all competitors with a finished playable entry, even if not fully completed, excepting those who had explicitely withdrawn from the competition. Of course I could forgot some games, so if your game isn't there add it to the list

• presidential crowbar encounter
  • Infinite underwear attack
  • furry punching nitro
  • infinite nazis on wheels
  • Emo harvest on the oregon trail
  • Extreme bedtime the next generation
  • Mega spatula furry
  • great magic of the deep
  • fabulous hardware annihilation
  • rocket powered frisbee punch out
  • my first skydiving academy
  • robotic outlaw mayhem
  • papal shotgun gladiator
  • unstoppable dwarf : hot pursuit
  • incomprehensible penguin arena
  • russian landmine patrol
  • ace starkiller in : hillbilly burger bastards
  • masters of janitor runner
  • shameful pachinko romance
  • Morbidly obese workout man
  • small-time scorched earth invasion
  • corporate moped horde
  • attack of the banjo on the high seas
  • budgetsoft presents : football planet
  • savage balloon 3000
  • enraged rocket house
  • orbital booty interceptor
  • noone can stop the farm pionneer
  • post apocalyptic unicorn rising
  • heavy metal ninja shootout
  • pro mushroom slam
  • obsessive compulsive penguin simulator
  • viking bazooka bloodbath
  • twin hobo rocket
  • planet of the forklift kid
  • tiny platypus pimps
  • we love mind control rocket
  • secret of software 64
  • Noone can stop the sloth of the blood god
  • Time shark II : medieval shark strike force
  • narcoleptic soccer rush
  • dynamite prison armaggedon
  • 8-Bit gun tales
  • Samurai railroad mansion
  • brain damaged toon underworld
  • Rom check : FAIL
That's a grand total of 46 games, and all these games combined must weight at least  300 Megabytes  Shocked

[EDIT]
removed Super mario vs proggramming in China (not a game).
removed little hitler in toyland by request.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:16:43 AM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »

I guess everyone has his favourite guy game ... let's start the voting. Smiley
Please, I want to know what the next compo will be so that I can start participating. xD
So hurry up. Dammit!  :D

By the way... Since we know: Everyone participating is a winner...
Let's add a rule:
Everyone voting has to post a list with the games he played and give it a "Best"-tag. Whatever the game is best in... Or add any "Best"-Tags to any game. :D
Just something.
Example:
8-bit Gun Tales - Best nose-physics.
Infinite Afro in the Hood - Best withdrawn game.
Super Mario vs. Programming in China - Sexiest Creator. Word.

So... Derek? Smiley

BaronCid
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:38:22 PM by BaronCid » Logged

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »

All right, since I have no life, I went and made a list of all competitors with a finished playable entry, even if not fully completed,

• little hitler in toyland

Undecided

Are you really counting me in?  I mean, it's just a dinky little test level.  And I posted it after the compo was over.

I dunno, I'm not sure I'd feel right about it.  Feedback would be nice, but I don't really consider it "finished."

I guess I'll leave it up to the folks in charge.

tweet tweet @j_younger
VGNG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »

Yeah I would like to know their opinion abiout the competition, I hope they don't feel ripped off.
Not at all. Smiley

Hey guys. Someone pointed me at this thread today. It's amazing how this little thing gets around! You all inspired me to add an actual contact email to the page. Feel free to ask me whatever in email or in this thread.

I put the VGNG up for people to have fun with. I'm honestly really flattered that people want to use it to make actual games with. It blows my mind. Smiley A lot of the credit isn't even mine to take, really - many other people helped contribute words (and the Flash applet) to this thing over the years.

And this contest is awesome. It's not even the first one, if you can believe that. I'd love to see what you guys end up with.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:33:46 PM by VGNG » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2008, 09:32:27 PM »

All right, since I have no life, I went and made a list of all competitors with a finished playable entry, even if not fully completed,

• little hitler in toyland

Undecided

Are you really counting me in?  I mean, it's just a dinky little test level.  And I posted it after the compo was over.

I dunno, I'm not sure I'd feel right about it.  Feedback would be nice, but I don't really consider it "finished."

I guess I'll leave it up to the folks in charge.
From your thread I wasn't sure so I included it, it all depends on you.

I guess everyone has his favourite guy game ... let's start the voting. Smiley
Please, I want to know what the next compo will be so that I can start participating. xD
So hurry up. Dammit!  :D
Maybe it's a little bit early to vote, I don't think most people have had the chance to test more than a fraction of the entries, let even downloaded them!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »

And this contest is awesome. It's not even the first one, if you can believe that.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but actually I kind of am.  Where did this other contest take place?  I'd like to see their results too Smiley

From your thread I wasn't sure so I included it, it all depends on you.

Well if it means I can get some feedback on it then yeah, count me in.  I'm not exactly worried so much about getting any votes (there's a hell of a lot better stuff here to spend your votes on), but I'd like to know what people think of the little that I did complete.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2008, 10:49:24 PM »

Thanks, moi!  That list is quite helpful.  I want to try out each game and put together a page for them.  That could take me a little while... may not get it all done tonight.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

Yeah I would like to know their opinion abiout the competition, I hope they don't feel ripped off.
Not at all. Smiley

Hey guys. Someone pointed me at this thread today. It's amazing how this little thing gets around! You all inspired me to add an actual contact email to the page. Feel free to ask me whatever in email or in this thread.

I put the VGNG up for people to have fun with. I'm honestly really flattered that people want to use it to make actual games with. It blows my mind. Smiley A lot of the credit isn't even mine to take, really - many other people helped contribute words (and the Flash applet) to this thing over the years.

And this contest is awesome. It's not even the first one, if you can believe that. I'd love to see what you guys end up with.

Also, thanks so much for making this!  You have created great times for all of us! Kiss
VGNG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2008, 04:34:45 AM »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but actually I kind of am.  Where did this other contest take place?  I'd like to see their results too Smiley

It happened at the SomethingAwful forums, where I first released this thing to the wider world. I'd like to give you the link, but their archives are down and will be for a little while longer. But when they're back up you can search the Games forum for "video game name generator" and find it easily enough. There were two rounds of MSPainting favorites in General Bullshit, too, if you end up looking.

They were probably my biggest source of help along the way. They wrote the Flash applet for me and gave me tons of words, in particular a guy named svaha that gave me enough words to feel like maybe he should be a co-creator of the program. Smiley

Their competition wasn't as big as this one, of course, but I was still quite surprised to see it, especially since I didn't find out about it until months after it finished! Between missing that competition and almost missing this one I thought maybe it was good idea to finally put up an email address, so people could actually tell me about these things. Smiley

Also, thanks so much for making this!  You have created great times for all of us! Kiss

You're quite welcome. You all are the ones putting in the real hard work for our amusement, so thank YOU guys for making all these games for myself and others to enjoy. Who knew you could get this much out of a tiny Flash app and a text file?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:40:53 AM by VGNG » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2008, 04:29:08 AM »

It happened at the SomethingAwful forums, where I first released this thing to the wider world. I'd like to give you the link, but their archives are down and will be for a little while longer. But when they're back up you can search the Games forum for "video game name generator" and find it easily enough. There were two rounds of MSPainting favorites in General Bullshit, too, if you end up looking.

Ah yes, I remember the paint threads.  I made a post in one.  Happy City Jihad.

Ah, here it is:

I wasn't aware that there was an actual make-a-game thread though.  I don't post in Games much.  They seem to be more mainstream-centric.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2008, 01:36:23 AM »

In the spirit of the Video Game Name Generator, here is a Random Haiku Generator: http://www.hphoward.demon.co.uk/haikugen/framset1.htm

Useful for introspective artiness?

@doomlaser, mark johns
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2008, 01:45:20 AM »

They were probably my biggest source of help along the way. They wrote the Flash applet for me and gave me tons of words, in particular a guy named svaha that gave me enough words to feel like maybe he should be a co-creator of the program. Smiley

Their competition wasn't as big as this one, of course, but I was still quite surprised to see it, especially since I didn't find out about it until months after it finished! Between missing that competition and almost missing this one I thought maybe it was good idea to finally put up an email address, so people could actually tell me about these things. Smiley

You're quite welcome. You all are the ones putting in the real hard work for our amusement, so thank YOU guys for making all these games for myself and others to enjoy. Who knew you could get this much out of a tiny Flash app and a text file?

... Can we see this textfile, so we can see what words there are? Grin

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2008, 05:51:39 AM »

Or the source code if it's not a problem...

VGNG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »

Sure, I've never minded sharing the wordlist. Suggestions welcome!

http://www.norefuge.net/vgng/video_game_names.txt

The three wordlists are separated by 4 dashes ("----") and are in alphabetical order (or at least they should be; let me know if any aren't). There's also some dupe protection in there, with the following syntax:

Original Word Or Phrase^Don't|Use|Any|Of|These|Words|Or Phrases|Later

Basically, anything after the pipes can't be used as later words/phrases in the same video game name. This is to prevent annoying combos like "Deadly Death of the Dead" appearing. Note that this syntax only appears in the first two wordlists, for obvious reasons.

If anyone wants the Flash source, let me know. It's really simple, though, and I doubt it's very interesting. Oh, and since you guys seem to be pretty talented coders on the whole, feel free to whip up a snazzier version of the VGNG if you're feeling inspired!

Also, since I know the wordlist pretty well I was surprised to see a couple of games submitted in the competition with impossible names. I dunno how much you guys are sticklers for the rules or whatever but feel free to use the wordlist for validation, too - that list contains every word used by the program.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:10:37 PM by VGNG » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »

Also, since I know the wordlist pretty well I was surprised to see a couple of games submitted in the competition with impossible names. I dunno how much you guys are sticklers for the rules or whatever but feel free to use the wordlist for validation, too - that list contains every word used by the program.

It was more of a "get inspired by the generator" sort of contest.  A lot of folks took liberties.

I got Little ______ in Toyland (I forget what it was), and a couple picks later got Hitler's Something or Other, so I just put them together because the idea instantly clicked in my head.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »

Yeah, Medieval Shark Strike Force was my actual name. The rest was sort of an addition, because I like the idea of doing sequels to things when there is no original.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »

feel free to whip up a snazzier version of the VGNG if you're feeling inspired!

Yeah I was projecting doing that, just for the heck of it, but the project has already gotten so complex in my head that I probably won't ever make it for real. :D

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »

Yeah, Medieval Shark Strike Force was my actual name. The rest was sort of an addition, because I like the idea of doing sequels to things when there is no original.

Like when my friend talked about Dune 2, I wondered how good the first Dune game was?

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »

Yeah, I wondered exactly the same thing.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic