Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:33:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCosyne Synthesis Engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cosyne Synthesis Engine  (Read 2278 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »

I've been working on a simple to use synthesizer library for use in games and other realtime multimedia applications. If you want to make a music or rhythm game, this may just be for you. Cosyne (short for the Cosyne Synthesis Engine) can produce a wide range of different sounds, from virtual analog and FM instruments, to traditional 8-bit synths, to drum-like sounds and special effects.

The original announcement thread is here. The project homepage is over at Bitbucket; this is where downloads, documentation and source code (yes, it's open source) are hosted.

Right now, if you download it, you get a DLL with bindings to C/C++ and Python, some simple example apps, as well as the CosPlay application which allows you to play synthesizers using the computer keyboard. Also included are a bunch of sample instrument files.

Maybe you want to listen to some sound files.

Although it's already quite usable, I'm still actively working on this, so this thread will get information about new features and so on.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »

Implemented Thing Of The Day: amplitude modulation by arbitrary expressions, so you can now do tremolo and stuff. For the audio file below, not having a real MIDI controller at hand, I set up my cheap gamepad to play a Hitzaz scale using Joy2Key and jammed away. This is actually surprisingly fun.

Listen: http://www.box.net/shared/xdix7v6ej4
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »

This is cool.  I'm reading your source to try and learn how it works.  I do a bit of real-time synthesis in my games, but it's very primitive - mostly just plain sin(t*p) - and so it can end up sounding pretty mushy.  Might have to use this.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:22 AM »

Might have to use this.

Would be cool, that's what I made it for Wink

Anyway, if you have any questions regarding synthesis in general, I'd be happy to try and answer those too. I racked up quite a bit of knowledge on the subject while making this, browsing the Music DSP archive, reading Julius O. Smith III's online book on filters and countless papers...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic