Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:01:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Who is working in the non-indie game industry?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Who is working in the non-indie game industry?  (Read 6754 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

You kidding?

I'm workin' nine to five for THE MAN.

There's this place in America they call Tarjay.

That's where I work.

I think they sold World of Goo shirts once.

That's indie, right? =|
shadowdim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »

Would like to work in video games later, still at school though.
And indie on my free time.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »

I am doing freelance pixel art for a company right now but I don't think that counts?

I don't really intend on getting deep into "the industry" aside from lancing art freely. I'd like to keep gamesmaking a hobby for the forseeable future.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:39 PM »

sometimes I am, but sometimes I get fired

Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 12:28:25 AM »

I used to, but not anymore at the moment Smiley...

Does count, Xion...I think

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:49 AM »

I used to work for Free Radical Design doing QA, before they LucasArts screwed them over and they got shut down. The work was alright and there were some great people on the team, but I'm not sure I'd want to go back to staring at a screen 2 feet away from me for 12 hours a day.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 03:32:44 AM »

but I'm not sure I'd want to go back to staring at a screen 2 feet away from me for 12 hours a day.
Who, Me? (You just described my days off)

I AM FREE!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 06:55:34 AM »

I use to work in the industry until I got laid off a month or 2 ago. I am still job hunting but any free time not job hunting now is spent trying to make indie games. The main thing I am worried about is getting enough money from indie games to support myself and family.

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 01:00:39 AM »

but I'm not sure I'd want to go back to staring at a screen 2 feet away from me for 12 hours a day.
Who, Me? (You just described my days off)
Hah, it was a big CRT, as we still had to check everything would fit on older TVs. I happened to sit at the desk with all sorts of crap on it, including the CRT, so I was stuck looking at that. Wouldn't have been so bad if it were a monitor or flatscreen.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
walrus
Level 0

AD / artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:36 AM »

Hi, Kwakkie, I think you already know me from GameArtisans but no-one else here does, so:
I used to be in the big game industry and left that for the Wonderful World of the Web: I'm currently Art Director as social games company Kabam, making games for Facebook. And by night I work on my indie game.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 04:20:38 AM »

I make rent making social games.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
_discovery
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »

Not many of the replies read the subject it seems...

I currently work in industry as well, it's a lot of fun if you are in the a fun place.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »

Not directly worked on games in the industry, but... I worked at microsoft on the Kinect thing for a year. Now I am unemployed and I love it. :D
Though, I will have to find a new job soon. :/

Master of all trades.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 08:26:44 AM »

Thought I replied to this already  Huh?

Well, I work on games 'professionally' at a small shop in TO. Primarily smallish games for very young kids to early teens. But I have been put on a project that's quite a bit more involved than just a small "play for 5 minutes" flash game so I am quite excited about that  Grin
surasshu
Level 0

\\\

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »

Freelance audio dude for between 4 and 5 years now!

As much as I love that fact alone, the loathing I have for the mainstream industry has multiplied with the years, and I'm now at a point where I feel like if I don't do some indie stuff and become successful soon, I'll go crazy and just work in a factory and live in a shack somewhere. Durr...?

Audio dude.
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »

I've been making AAA games for about 4 years now. Worked as a 3D Modeller and Lighter, but moved to QA once I found I hated it. Now a QA Lead/Build Engineer of sorts. :3

One day I'll ideally be in some aspect of game design, but the role I want only opens up when someone moves on. It could be a while.  Beg

RandyO
Level 0

I should laugh out loud more.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »

Full-on indie right now, have done some traditional, it's a mixed bag, depending on company/project/all-that.

Indie is about focusing on what you really care about, and I think many of us have specialties like art/programming/sound even though we are just filled with game ideas.  Thus, for me, indie is about making the games in my head, rather than just drawing someone else's game-art.  Time.  A powerful thing.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic