Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 05:20:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGPlanet of the Forklift Kid [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Planet of the Forklift Kid [FINISHED]  (Read 36758 times)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »

The VGNG version is finished! Download here:

http://deleongames.com/nesky/ForkliftKid.swf

It's playable in your browser, though if you experience any slowdown you can try playing it by downloading it to your harddrive and double clicking it from there, or by reducing the size of your window. But my computer is probably crappier than your computer anyway, so don't worry too much about it. Smiley

Requires the latest Flash Player (you probably already have it installed). Runs on Mac and Windows (and Linux?).

Also, you should probably get ready to press the restart button (R), because it's possible to get stuck occasionally.

EDIT: The final version of the game has been uploaded to the same URL. It's got some tweaks and 3 more levels. ^_^
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:20:14 AM by shaktool » Logged
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »

Oh, hey, I haven't introduced myself on these forums yet. Um.

If I am known for anything here, it would probably be for the obscure indie game, Dreamscape. I was the "Animation and Art Lead". I have, in the past, made a couple GBA games. I now work for a crazy web 2.0 Flash startup company thing.

I am a silly Mac user, which means I can't play most of your games, but I do play them whenever I get a chance. Planet of the Forklift Kid will be in Flash so everyone can play.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 07:34:38 PM »

Forklifts are popular in this compo.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:25:35 AM »

Just finished the kid's idle animation, check it out! It worked out better than the version in the cover art, and it's super easy to animate.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »

You can play a quick demo now: (arrow keys to move, spacebar to jump or exit forklift)

(if the frame rate is slow, try saving to your harddrive and playing it directly, rather than through a web browser)

There's no winning or losing, there's only one level and it's very crappy and very short, and it's possible to get stuck so that you have to start over. But it has a kid, and a forklift. 2/3 of the way there, baby! :D

Is anyone interested in helping with art, music, or level design?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:55:32 PM by shaktool » Logged
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »

Neat!

Also:  Nice rigid-body physics!  (I especially liked lifting the forklift itself up by levering the arm to push against a box.)  Impressive Flash-Fu!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »

impressive demo dude, cant wait to see the finished thing

detergent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »

Very much impressive!  Shocked

And
Will the forklift be able to fly and other things equally awesome etc.?
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »

That's amazing.

Just in case you hadn't found this yet:

Halp! I can't get into mah 4klift! D:

But this is going to be great game.  XD
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:45:24 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 01:43:29 AM »

Yeah, I'm aware that the kid can get into some unpleasant situations right now, I'll try to prevent that in the future.

And I don't think that forklift will be able to fly, but I'm sure it still has a couple tricks up its sleeve.
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »

Holy awesome!  Kiss

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26:40 PM »

Finished! The download link is in the first post. Or right here:

Next time I have access to a Windows machine I'll give all your games a go too. Smiley
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 11:58:45 PM »

This is very, very nice.
 Kiss Kiss Kiss
biphenyl
Level 0

Ewige Blumenkraft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:16:13 AM »

Delicious physicsy goodness! Loved the bouncy balls!

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 12:17:22 AM »

Very fun! I got Unicorn Power on everything except the fourth level. Those balls are so chaotic, I'm not sure I'll be able to improve my score except with a lot of luck, and yes, I'm trying to hit both switches on the same jump. Normally I don't like puzzle games where you can get into impossible situations, but the puzzles here are so short it isn't painful to restart.
My scores, probably very soon to be beaten since there is loads of room for improvement:

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:49 AM »

Wow, Noyb, you got significantly better times than I did on levels 3 and 5.  Already! Congrats! ^_^

And, uh... those Level buttons where the text is cut off and ends in "..."? That's a problem with Buttons in Flex 2. I should have updated to Flex 3. Oh well, sorry.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 01:12:28 AM »

This is absolutely amazing!  Apart from the slightly billious green which is making my sleepy eyes see triple, the game's really polished, well-thought out, smooth and fun.  So far this has been my fave, but I'm also a Mac user and haven't checked out the PC games on Bootcamp yet.  Did you write the physics code yourself, or use a framework / plugin?  It really seems to cope well, with very little glitchiness.

Well done mate!

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:50:23 AM »

This is a great game, but for some reason Firefox crashes during the second level. Undecided Also, the music in the first level has me mesmerized! Is it yours? What is the singer saying?
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »

Hmm, someone else reported a crash during the second level in Firefox as well. I have no idea what's up with that, but I'll look into it. In the meantime, does it work in other browsers, or if you play from your local hard drive directly in Flash Player?

Does anyone know what TIGSource's policy on fixing crash bugs after the deadline for the competition is?

As indicated on the title screen, neither the music nor the physics engine are mine (though they are both free for commercial and non-commercial use). Kevin MacLeod's music at Incompetech is an excellent resource. The specific song that I used in the first level was AhDahSmiley The physics engine I used was Box2D, HOWEVER I did modify the physics engine to support concave level maps composed of lots of individual line segments. Ordinarily, maps in Box2D are composed of circles and convex polygons, but I didn't like that so I added some new functionality to it.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to point out that I was able to make all of the sound effects in the game using a version of SFXR that I ported/hacked to run on Mac.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:55:46 PM by shaktool » Logged
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 01:01:21 PM »

Wow, this game is pretty sweet.  I'm literally having a blast playing through it.  Great jearb!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic