Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:18:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGPlanet of the Forklift Kid [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Planet of the Forklift Kid [FINISHED]  (Read 36771 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »

Basically this is completely awesome, congratulations!

cup full of magic charisma
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »

Very nice. this has potential for a full fledged puzzle game.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 04:19:37 AM »

Wha, this is great! Shocked Kiss Shocked
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »

This is one of the most charming entries I've played so far! The physics engine is great, and the concept is fun and unique.

My only major criticism is that the level design could be improved. A few of the early levels had some creative puzzles, but the later levels were more linear. You should really expand this game, since it has incredible potential.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »

Thanks! ^_^ Yeah, I didn't get to start making the levels until Sunday and I had to go to work on Monday so I didn't really have time to polish them. Oh well.

I'm actually going to keep working on this game until April 1st, so I'll probably have better levels by then, but I'm afraid the VGNG version of the game is finalized.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:24:57 PM by shaktool » Logged
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »

I really really enjoyed this, thanks for putting it out there.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
medieval
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »

Thanks! ^_^ Yeah, I didn't get to start making the levels until Sunday and I had to go to work on Monday so I didn't really have time to polish them. Oh well.

I'm actually going to keep working on this game until April 1st, so I'll probably have better levels by then, but I'm afraid the VGNG version of the game is finalized.
Why does it end on April Fools Day?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 12:13:45 AM »

CUUUUUTE!! ^o^
But yeah, it would really benefit from some more levels.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 12:18:07 AM »

Why does it end on April Fools Day?

Because the real winner of the contest is MochiAds, not the contestants. Tongue
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 03:07:43 AM »

you have my vote!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »

Yeah! I beat the game! Nesky, you rock!

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 01:05:56 PM »

I guess it's all been said already, very sweet game Smiley Only jumping off the forklifts, er, fork, was a little hard to get used to, as it didn't always work. But anyway, this really is a great example of actually using physics in a creative way Smiley

And I'm sorry about this "abuse" of the topic, but I just have to ask: Where have I heard level 3's song before? It must've been some game or a video for a game. It's like it's burnt into my brain, but I can't recall it..

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »

I loved the artwork and design.  The puzzles were also nice, if a little on the easy side.  Even so that's just about perfect for a short, 5-level game.

But I have to go against the grain here and say the physics didn't quite do it for me.  The basic premise behind it is sound, but in application I found it to make for too clumsy a control scheme.  With some tweaking though it could be made much better.

The crates were a little too bouncy, and the forklift was a little too tippy.  I do like the fact that you can mess up and have to restart, but it makes for a lot of messing up.

I realize that patience and precision are key when playing this game, but since it is a time trial, there should be a little better balance between precision play and speed.  Removing some of the bounce from the crates would help (and maybe adding a little more friction... they also seem to want to slide off my fork a little too readily when it's raised up), as would making the forklift a little weightier.  And the jumping... I don't know if it's a side effect of the physics engine or just strange collision detection, but I often found that when I pressed jump, Forklift Kid just didn't.

Overall though I thought it was enjoyable and I agree with moi, this has the potential to be a full fledged puzzle game.

tweet tweet @j_younger
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »

The music in level 3 is How It Begins (also known as Smoother). I don't know where you might have heard it before, but various people use MacLeod's music in YouTube videos and games. I doubt any commercial games use it though.

And thank you, deadeye, for the critique! Criticism only makes me stronger (more powerful than you could possibly imagine). Hopefully I'll be able to address some of your issues in a later version of the game.

I'll probably post in this thread after the voting is done with a final version of the game.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »

And thank you, deadeye, for the critique! Criticism only makes me stronger (more powerful than you could possibly imagine).

Ah, good Smiley  That's my intention.  I'm not a fan of "good job" critiques because there's always room for improvement with anything.  Whenever I make something I always wish that the people giving feedback would be more honest.  "Good job" doesn't make my work better.  I try to do the same for other people.

I'm just glad that criticism seems to be so readily accepted here.  A lot of people are easily bruised, but TIGS seems to be of hearty stock.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »

I was really looking forward to this one, but when I try and play it which ever key I press registers as pressed down for about ten seconds at a time. It makes the game totally unplayable for me as I can't stand on any of the lifts and I keep driving my forklift off cliffs when I'm only trying to move a tiny amount. It's really odd as it doesn't happen all the time, but happens regularly enough that I can't complete the second level. Will try and see if I can borrow some time on a friends PC before I make my final vote.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »

Can anybody say cute-as-hell? I can.

I too think the physics and overall gameplay still need some tweeks, but what you got there is pretty interesting already. Also, I feel the first level's song fits very well.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »

This was a bit buggy in places for me, and I see lots of possibilities for self-inflicted dead ends, but it was also very fun.  I definitely think you should revisit this after the comp and expand on it because it's neat!
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »

The final version of the game, with a few tweaks and 3 more levels, is now available from the same URL. Or, if you want to share your high scores, you can play the Kongregate version:

Planet of the Forklift Kid

^_^
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic