Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:12:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGMOWN (aka: Morbidly Obese Workout maN) ***DONE***
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: MOWN (aka: Morbidly Obese Workout maN) ***DONE***  (Read 23088 times)
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

***EDIT******EDIT******EDIT******EDIT***

The game is now 'done'. More details in my last post, but here is the download. Both Win and OSX versions are in the same .ZIP.

Enjoy!

***EDIT******EDIT******EDIT******EDIT***

So... Meet the Morbidly Obese Workout Man!

Game play has yet to be determined. Could be anything from a platformer to an adventure game.

Ideas welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:05:12 PM by can-o-spam » Logged
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:25 PM »

Hold down Space to run on the treadmill.  You fall off when you let go.

It's great fun.
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 05:43:54 PM »

GETTTT READDDDY TO MOWN!

Download a (very early) test build of MOWN (flash). Make sure you have your speakers on.
http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=16592

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »

:D Hahahah, damn, I can't stop laughing. This is ridiculous, yet excellent, and I want MOAR.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »

I know what I want to do with those mantits...

can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:57:21 PM »

Hey guys.

Looks like this will have to wait until the weekend. Between getting ready to graduate my MFA programme in less than 2 months, and the recent PPC release of Dwarf Fortress, I'm kinda swamped.

Great to see so many people coming out fro the comp though. I promise that I'll have something finished for the deadline.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 04:39:51 AM »

I think he should have a cardiac arrest if he runs too much without a rest.

can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:18:31 AM »

Alright! I'm pumped (but not as much as the MOWM!).

I promised you guys I'd work on this during the weekend, and I will. But first things first: I've pretty much got the gameplay all worked out on paper.

The game will keep track of your various vital signs (heart rate, breathing, blood pressure, blood glucose levels and maybe even cholesterol). You must keep all of these it check (stopping to catch your breath, eating the right foods, avoiding attractive female joggers, etc.). If they do move out of the safe zone, you either faint, have a heart attack, etc.

But you say, what is the motive force? Why not just sit on the park bench? Well...

You've made the mistake of employing an extreme personal trainer from the classifieds to whip you into shape. Turns out he's camped out in a building over looking the park... And has brought his .22! He'll radio you objectives (5 push-ups by the postbox, 3 jumping jacks under the tree, etc.) and if you don't meet his demand... err... 'goals', he'll pop you like a ripe melon!

So, comments, ideas?

I'll get cracking just as soon as I wakeup in the morning.
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »

Ok, got quite a bit done today. We've got lots of basic mechanics zipping along, including: stopping to catch your breath (coughing), fainting from high blood pressure (screen turning red) and fainting from low/high blood sugar levels (screen turning white).

Right now there is no way to keep the sugar in check because I haven't implemented food yet. Exercise lowers the level, and food will raise it. The trick is to keep it balanced. Walking and jumping will cause you to become short of breath (jumping in particular). Walking will also raise your blood pressure, but slowly enough that you can't faint from walking around, you'll stop to catch your breath first. However, standing near the opposite sex (right now she just stands there, but will run around later) causes your blood pressure to skyrocket.

The personal trainer does not do anything yet, but his scope does glint in the distance!

Enjoy the test, and feedback would be great. It is running a little slow on my machine, but most things do (a G4 cube @ 455mhz). How does it do on your's?

OS X: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=16872
WIN: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=16875
Robert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »

Great concept! I love the animation, fantastic. I tried out the demo (fainted twice from high blood pressure) and it ran very smoothly, on a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
medieval
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »

The high blood pressure is funny. I ran for the girl just to see him fall over and over.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 02:32:21 PM »

I love how he faints every time he gets close to the girl. Looks like a unique concept; it will be interesting to see the final product.

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:05 PM »

What's with the light in the skyscraper? Or is that a secret?

Very funny concept, love it.
Zaphos
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »

What's with the light in the skyscraper? Or is that a secret?

The personal trainer does not do anything yet, but his scope does glint in the distance!

... this is gonna be great  :D
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »

Thanks for all the feed back and comments guys. I appreciate it.

Sorry I have not had more updates for you. It was a crazy week here. I got sick and was busy with school.

However, I put in a few hours today.

The attractive female jogger now chases you around (its totally hacked, but some what effective) and the level is much more complete. Still no food or personal trainer demands.

Here are the download files, enjoy!

[edit: fixed OS X download]

OS X:  http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=17421
WIN: http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=17420

Any feed back would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:42:18 PM by can-o-spam » Logged
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

My god, this is perfect.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »

um... I feel pretty dumb but I can't get the os X version to run.

I can't double click it (well I can but it tries to open it with quicktime  Huh? )
I tried chmod +x ing it and then running it from the command line but that doesn't work either... so yeah...
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »

Ok, looks like WillHostForFood was doing something funky. I've re-uploaded it in a .ZIP. Seems to work now.

http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=17421
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »

oh sweet got it working now

It's awesome.  Love the pixel work and also the general theme.  I had a pretty fun time just trying to make it to the top of the level, food sounds like a great addition.
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »

Here is a playable demo, with pretty much all of the game play elements in place.

To recap the game play: You are the Morbidly Obese Workout Man. You have hired an 'extreme' personal trainer, and gone to the park to meet him. He is camped out on a building with a sniper rifle, and will radio you demands (jog here, jog there). You must meet these demands in the time given (the fill bar at the bottom of the screen), or be shot. The time given keeps getting shorter. You are in horrible shape and must stop to catch your breath. Your blood pressure can get too high and you'll faint (screen turning red). Your blood sugar level can get too high (white screen) or too low (black screen) and you'll faint. Eat food and exercise to keep it balanced. There is also an attractive female jogger in the park, who chases you around. When she is close to you your blood pressure will skyrocket, so be careful. The trick to staying alive as long as possible is to realize that the level wraps around (that is, falling off the bottom left takes you to the top right).

Currently it is impossible to win (that is, beat the final one second demand) but I doubt it would even be possible.

This is a ZIP file with a Win and MAC version.

There are several bugs. (One is a flash bug, where adjusting the volume of a specific sound effects the volume of all sounds currently playing. Makes it hard to hear the radio and low time warning tone sometimes. Any Flash experts know a work around?) Also, when you loose the trainer just tells you. There is no animation or scene change.

So... Still more sounds to do. Add a splash screen/instructions. Add death animation and end screen.

Hope you enjoy! I'll put up a final version Sunday or Monday.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic