Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:04:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSnake Defender
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Snake Defender  (Read 1702 times)
Zoglu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:44:52 AM »

Hello everyone,

I already introduced myself in the introduction thread, but that was like 4 months ago and I never posted after that Embarrassed

So, a little introduction : My name is Zoglu, I'm 21 since today Wink I've been making games with MMF2 for 6 years (but the game I made 3 or more years ago were not really playable). My website is here : http://www.zoglu.net. The best game I made (actually a demo) is certainly Scrolling Survivor : http://www.zoglu.net/fichiers/ScrollingSurvivorDemo.rar.

Right now I've just made a Flash game in 5 days, for a competition on a website. The theme was "Protect". Now that the competition has ended, I'm looking for some ways to improve my game, before distributing it everywhere I can.

My game is called Snake Defender, you can play it here : http://www.zoglu.net/online/SnakeDefender.html

You play a Snake who collect apples and grows, just like in your first mobile phone Tongue
But there is a planet in the center of the screen, which is attacked by missiles. Fortunately, you can detach your body from your head at any time, thus creating a wall.
You must put these walls in front of the missiles to stop them.
It is also possible to slow down your Snake's movement and freeze everything, but for a limited time.

So, you have to resist many waves of missiles to complete a level, or survive for as long as you can in the score game modes.

Here are some screenshots. Keep in mind that the competition was mainly about concept and game design, so I only spent about 30 minutes to make graphics (see below for how you can give me feedback about the graphics).

So, I would like to have feedback on these things :

- Gameplay : How much do you enjoy playing it? Do you like the concept? Which elements, rules or enemies should I add to make it more enjoyable?

- Graphics : As said before, I made the graphics in less than 30 minutes because I focuses on gameplay (the competition lasted about 3 moths, but I started 5 days before the end WTF). So, my question will be : which kind of graphical style could fit this game? If it's the kind of graphics I can draw myself, I will draw them, and else I'll ask someone !

- Music : I composed my first chiptunes for this game because I didn't want to use other people's music for a competition... So, I know they are not perfect, but do you like them? Don't they get annoying?

That's it. Also, forgive me if I made some English mistakes here and there, or if I use inappropriate words, because it's not my mother language. If you find some weird sentences or words in the game, could you please tell me about it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback  Smiley
ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:16:08 AM »

i enjoyed the game, music is okay
i wish i could just read controls instead of playing tutorial missions
since the border is deadly, you should make it clearly visible (right now it's darkgrey|black)
score mode starts too easy for me
head blinking in the corner when i have one life left is annoying
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:08:26 AM by ortoslon » Logged
Zoglu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »

Hi, glad you enjoyed the game  Wink

I was afraid of forcing the player to learn too much things at once, that's why I made a tutorial instead of a list of controls. But I guess you're right about the tutorial. Same thing for the score mode, I didn't want it to start too hard. But in 5 days, I didn't have enough time to balance the difficulty... Sad

I agree with you about the head blinking.
By the way, maybe I will replace the snake's blinking when it's invincible by something else. For instance, making it semi-transparent.
And I'll do something about the border.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic