Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:37:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Using procedural coloring and colorization...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using procedural coloring and colorization...  (Read 1538 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »

Alright... I'm working on a heads + bodies approach to spriting on an upcoming project, utilizing colorization commands. The characters' appearances are created with a fair number of variables to factor in; and I was wondering if perhaps somebody here has had some experience/expertise in that sort of development. I'm trying to keep it somewhat simple, but I may go as far as two-tone colorized sets. Factors include:

-Skin Tone
-Hair and Eyes
-Favorite Color 1 (wardrobe)
-Favorite Color 2 (wardrobe)
-General Outlining

I'm hoping to make some 2 px height variations, but keep them all within 32x32. The heads will probably vary more than whatever else, and resemble different kinds of characters, but body-styles I'm going for are:

-Short male (26 px)
-Short female
-Medium male (28 px)
-Medium female
-Tall male (30 px)
-Tall female

I'm also debating between doing a standard 2D approach, or a slightly altered isometric perspective, like having "two diagonal-forward" vanishing points off the sides of the screen. In case it helps, elements of gaming I want to use these sprites/designs for include:

-Action-Adventure
-Platforming (possibly 2.5D)
-Fighting
-Racing
-Space-shootering (sorta - debating on featuring that, and what perspective thereof)

Clearly, being able to mirror them for the greatest effect would be ideal. I may just make most of it side-scrolling instead, and vary the view for race-element gaming.

This long ass thread details the near-entirety of the project outline, btw. In case that matters any.

So which perspective do you think would work better, and does anybody know how multi-factor colorization works best?

EDIT: I'll c/p it somewhere here. It's really, REALLY big. Also, I think I'll just start with one average m/f apiece, it'll be easier to edit together that way.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:34:29 AM by baconman » Logged

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »

i'm not too sure if this is what you mean, but you could draw sprites with *magic* colors.
at runtime/startuptime you could change those *magic* colors.

-load image in memory
-change pixelvalues individually
-save image to memory

btw: is this what you mean?:

oh and your link needs registering etc.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:25 AM »

The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »

procedural coloring? HSL

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »

Broken linked thread, c/p'ed to my LiveJournal. I'm also considering going in a screen-turning, overhead perspective, and possibly tie the elements of these together, a bit more cohesively.

More to the point of the post, however... what do you think the best approach to spriting is, when you intend to recolor it in many different ways? And do you think a modified 2-point perspective could be practical in such a program?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:50:39 PM by baconman » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic