Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:53:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDungeonmans (alpha 3)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Dungeonmans (alpha 3)  (Read 11693 times)
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 09:10:35 AM »

Uninstalling it and reinstalling it does not fix the problem. It does the exact same thing. I'll try a deep uninstall.

*Edit* I tried unistalling it with Revo uninstaller just to get rid of everything the game had. Still crashes, I'll send you some screenshots and try and get more info for you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:30:36 AM by KM » Logged

ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »

Still crashes, I'll send you some screenshots and try and get more info for you.

Thanks very much, I appreciate you taking the time to track it down.  We've had quite a few playthroughs and haven't heard about this issue, but we'd definitely like to address crashes when someone finds them!
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure I found a makeshift solution to the problem. I deleted everything, install files, the rar, everything. Of course probably deleting the rar never matter, but some file must not of been uninstalling. Anyway, I ended up reinstalling it on a completly different drive and it seems to be working just fine now. I think part of the reason it wasn't working is that I installed the game on a network drive (on my NAS of all things.) and when the game sent the save to the NAS something may have buggered up because it was a network drive. It's saving fine now and everything.

I hope this helps, and now that I can play the game again, any bugs I find I'll post here or somewhere that you want them.

ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »

Thanks for letting us know you how you got it working again!

If you have any feedback at all (suggestions, bugs, etc), we check this thread pretty frequently, and we also have a contact form on the site that goes right to madjack (the main dev's) e-mail: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=contact

We're getting pretty close to the release of Alpha 4 and are showing off some of the new features in our devlog thread here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=12339.0.  When the new release is out I'll create a new feedback thread for it :D
Billiam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 05:28:01 AM »

Hello!  Registered just to give my feedback Smiley  A Facebook friend of mine became a fan and it showed up in my feed, so I became a fan as well and now I'm playing.  The social networking thing works!

1.  I had some 'ghosts' too, but they didn't attack back.  Luckily none of them blocked a hallway.

2.  Biggest bug: I couldn't turn in one of the first three quests assigned, the 'go to the 3rd floor and kill the boss' quest.  I completed all three of the quests together, saw the status of the boss turn to 'CRUSHED' in my quest log, and then returned to town.  I turned in the other two quests, and then when I went to turn in quest three, the questgiver's chalice was gray and the 'CRUSHED' status had disappeared from my log.  I left town and came back, no fix, quit and reloaded, no fix.  I went to the dungeon but the boss didn't respawn.  So I moved to another town, but there were no questgivers there.  Do you need to finish all quests to get new ones?

3.  I really want variety in the Dungeonmans sprite, as in a starting ranger or wizard sprite, and a few choices for each.  And I want to see it change according to what you equip.  It would be cool to have an option to be a Dungeonladies too.

4.  More variety in the overworld tiles would be good.  Little regions of mountain, desert, lakes and rivers would add a lot.

5.  Little details: the books are really fun.  I can't help but read them.  Townspeople should have a few dozen random lines to say too...lots of opportunity for fun writing there.

6.  Speaking of towns, generate less trees in them please.  It's annoying to have to walk all the way around to get to a building, you know? Smiley  Maybe add things like town squares, creeks and bridges, graveyards?  Taverns?

7.  Merchants: I've only seen weapon merchants so far.  Are there others?  Overworld could have a wandering merchant caravan with exotic items for sale, if you're going add wandering monsters out there anyway.

8.  Would overworld battles take place in a small battle screen that reflected the nearby terrain?  Like the way Fallout 1 and 2 went to a small screen for outdoor encounters, I mean.

9.  I know I've written a lot, and I guess I'll just end with some compliments.  The flavor text on the weapons is hilarious, and the monsters have been really funny too.

I think you guys have the start of something pretty great here!  Excellent job so far, looking forward to following your work!
madjackmcmad
Level 0

Crush monsters, get loots.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »

Hey Billiam, wow, thanks for all the feedback! I'm glad you're having a good time with the game.

Let me see if I can answer some of your points here:

1) The ghosts were caused by charging monsters like Sharkoose and Bee Halberdiers. I think I've got that one fixed.

2) Yeah, the named monster quest has been bugged since Alpha 1, my apologies.

3) Variety in starting sprite is a great idea. Having him change depending on what is equipped is... more challenging. A lot of work went into the equipment sprites (and there are about 50 brand new ones in Alpha 4) and it would take much more than that to draw it on Dungeonmans as he tools around. It's the right thing to do, but it won't be for a while.

4) haha man you have no idea Smiley patience.

5) Eventually the townspeople will have more to say and do, and I'm really glad you dig the books. There's a lot of empty houses still.

6) In Alpha 2 the town guard and chickens blocked movement. It was even harder to navigate the town then. The amount of trees in a town will eventually be determined by its location in the overworld.

7) There will be a randomly spawning Dungeon Merchant in alpha 4 on some floors. Keep your ears open for the jingle of coins...

Cool Yes.

9) hahah, hooray! I am happy to read that. The few of us behind the art and design of the monsters really wanted to sell the idea of a self-effacing world, where the monsters are just outlandish beasts waiting to get crushed.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Alpha 4 will be available for download this Monday!
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 06:48:28 PM »

I actually managed to crash my current installation of Dungeonmans. With same game breaking bug as before. It was fine, would even load my save a few times, then went back to crashing.

Also the game's humour reminds of Kingdom of Loathings a lot. Heh, Seal Clubber.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 07:38:31 AM »

Found a bug; while attacking a bandit, the game suddenly started going through round after round of combat really fast.  My health rapidly went into the negatives and kept going, without me dying.  I could still access menus etc. but couldn't move or stop attacking, and it carried on looping through combat until I got bored and closed it.  I'm afraid I wasn't paying too much attention to what was going on just before that, but I had just equipped a mace and was backtracking when the bandit appeared out of nowhere behind me.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »

I actually managed to crash my current installation of Dungeonmans. With same game breaking bug as before.

That sucks!  We're going to be doing some testing on a few different machines other than our normal two today, so hopefully we can weed out stuff like this if it comes up.

Found a bug; while attacking a bandit, the game suddenly started going through round after round of combat really fast.  My health rapidly went into the negatives and kept going, without me dying.

We haven't seen this one reproduced here, either - what version of Windows are you on?  If you happen to encounter it again, please do let us know any more detail you can provide!

We'll be putting out the new release (Alpha 4) tomorrow.  It has lots of new features, fixes, and shiny new jazz.  I'll post it as soon as it is available.  Thank for banging away at this release and helping us dig out bugs!
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »

ALPHA 4 IS OUT!

We're really happy to get this release out and we hope you'll have fun!

http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/42

I will update the OP soon - we're still looking for all your feedback!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »

I really hate installers. I really hate the XNA deployment installer. I really hate installers for alpha versions of a game. Some people offer people options to download one or the other, and I appreciate it when they do that. such as pistachio productions

I'd really like to try it though. And I hate to be a whiny cunt about it (it takes more effort to whine about it than it does to install the game or remove it), but I surely cannot be the only fellow who dislikes them.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »

I really hate installers. I really hate the XNA deployment installer. I really hate installers for alpha versions of a game. Some people offer people options to download one or the other, and I appreciate it when they do that. such as pistachio productions

I'd really like to try it though. And I hate to be a whiny cunt about it (it takes more effort to whine about it than it does to install the game or remove it), but I surely cannot be the only fellow who dislikes them.

Allen, you whiny cunt, you're absolutely right. I'm not too big of a fan of the installer myself. It seems like it attempts to reinstall XNA stuff everytime you reinstall, even if you didn't uninstall the XNA stuff in the first place. But you know, what ever works, right?

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »

Found a level 1 bug.

If diagonal from inside a door (or I imagine anything else) you can move diagonally out of the bounds of the walls.

You can also battle for your life outside these areas as either monsters seem to follow you out or spawn out of the area bounds.

Another thing I'd like to ask is possibly becoming a QA/QA Lead for Dungeonmans. I'm looking to get some experience (or street credz) by testing games out as a QA and developing systems to track bugs, track suggestions etc. If you're interested, please feel free to send me a PM as I am plenty glad to help.

madjackmcmad
Level 0

Crush monsters, get loots.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »

Dearest whiny cunts esteemed fans:

Hey, you guys are right to want more and better options for installing the game. Mea culpa. For the most part, when I see friends and coworkers install the game it's painless. That doesn't mean you guys don't have valid complaints, but it does mean that the priority for me to have a killer installation solution slips when I know that people running Windows can play the game if they are ok with the XNA installer.

There are really four people who actively work on the game, and some others who jump in when they can. We've decided to focus on fun monster crushing and doing cool things with the genre. A perfectly crafted install solution just hasn't come about yet. I hope you can accept my apology for that, but even more I hope you find it in you to give the game a try regardless.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »

I mean I was basically saying it would take a half a second for someone to zip up the game, no need for any perfectly crafted installation or any work by anyone. Right click the folder->send to compressed zip. That's it. It literally takes no time away from "doing cool things with the genre".

People like me may be in the minority, but it seems like a weird stance that a developer would refuse making the game easier to deal with to some people by simply providing a zip of the game files than a bloated default xna installer.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »

Come on guys, it's really not too much hassle clicking the installer is it?
A simple extraction would be like 2 seconds less effort yes, but can you honestly say your time is worth that much?

Also, @ennui, I've sent you a pm with some more bugs/thoughts/suggested improvements, suffice to say, I love the concept, gameplay, artstyle and the new wizardmans, to you and the whole team, keep up the good work!
Billiam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »

Yeah, I installed it last night, it took two seconds. 

One thing that COULD take a fraction of a second less is the first Wizardmans spell.  But thanks for the auto-targeting!

Maybe make spells selectable with a single keystroke a)foombolt b) lavalance, etc.

I looked at the overworld preview.  Echoes of Dwarf Fortress Smiley
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 06:37:28 AM »

but it seems like a weird stance that a developer would refuse making the game easier to deal with to some people by simply providing a zip of the game files than a bloated default xna installer.

I don't think it's a refusal - more that the XNA installer has been working and keeping us from dealing with problems related to installation (whether that's writing a better solution or providing another option that might not work for everyone's configuration), so we hadn't provided other options currently.  We appreciate the feedback related to the installer.

Found a level 1 bug.

Thanks for posting your reports!  We're not a paying team or anything, but we really appreciate you taking the time to post detailed bug reports when you can.  I don't know if it's possible to get more involved currently, but you can always send madjack a PM or a contact form through the site :D

Maybe make spells selectable with a single keystroke a)foombolt b) lavalance, etc.

Currently, if you press "s" to bring up the skill menu, and press a SHIFT-number combination when you've highlighted the desired skill, you can bind the skill to that number.  When you press the number, you'll get the targeting for that skill.  Is this what you're looking for?  Hopefully we can make that more visible in the future (like a hotbar or something), but for now it (and other useful info) are all buried in the in-game help (F1 or "h").

Bolt of Foom does take a while - some of the other spells do, too.  Thanks for playing and for the feedback!  We've gotten many playthrough data files so far and are really looking forward to more!
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 06:41:39 AM »

I didn't even realise you could do the binding thing, awesome!
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 08:40:58 AM »

I didn't even realise you could do the binding thing, awesome!

There are probably a few features like this that could use some more visibility.  I definitely recommend reading the help file (I know, I know, Wall of Text and all) until we can do some polish on some of the UI elements.  That stuff is very important to us, but we really put our focus on the dungeon itself in Alpha 4.  The help file has a lot of notes and information about functionality in the game Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic