Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:59:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDungeonmans (alpha 3)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeonmans (alpha 3)  (Read 11704 times)
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 09:44:02 AM »

I can't really agree with 2 second installs people are saying. When I'm installing on Windows 7 it takes long enough that I just end up going and doing something else for the time it installs. It seems to take between 3-5 minutes. Maybe it's a Windows 7 thing. It's not a big deal really, unless I was uninstalling it and reinstalling it like 10 times a day.

ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »

I can't really agree with 2 second installs people are saying. When I'm installing on Windows 7 it takes long enough that I just end up going and doing something else for the time it installs. It seems to take between 3-5 minutes. Maybe it's a Windows 7 thing. It's not a big deal really, unless I was uninstalling it and reinstalling it like 10 times a day.

This is definitely interesting - at home, the game is being developed on a Win 7 machine, and I test (installing and uninstalling many builds a day) also on a Win 7 machine.  I've never seen the install time even reach a minute!  Thanks for letting us know this is happening for you.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »

I'm using windows 7 64-bit and it installs in under 10 seconds, literally.
I moved the directory earlier so I uninstalled and reinstalled, and moved the files, total of 30 seconds.

In post-installer related news:
- Having a stack of 3 random green potions, I drink one, it reveals the loots, after revisiting the inventory, I now have 2 unidentified green potions, the same one I just drank one of, drinking another yields the same effect, yet still won't register as known.
- The shop dude in the dungeon did once spawn on a staircase, forcing me to kill him to continue, fun, but meant I had no shop on that floor
- Having selected a firebref potion, I was asked to choose a target, I cancelled, yet still the potion was gone from my inventory
- A chest I looted on the way down a dungeon was refilled on the way back out with a new item each time, meaning I could hop up and down levels for more loot
- More vertical tiles would be nice, maybe not so it ends up square, but so you have a little more view distance, perhaps have the bar at the bottom partially transparent
- For quests that say "kill x of y in z" it doesn't matter where you kill them
- I could not find the unique monster I was asked to kill on floor 3, I did search for quite a while, does dungeonmans have hidden passages like in adom? Or did he just not spawn?

I got a character to level 6 earlier I was quite proud Smiley
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:04:18 PM by Onza40 » Logged
madjackmcmad
Level 0

Crush monsters, get loots.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »

I now have 2 unidentified green potions, the same one I just drank one of, drinking another yields the same effect, yet still won't register as known.

Yes, unfortunately the three "reveal" type potions don't identify after you drink them. The rest of them should, though. If you find this happening with a different potion type please let me know.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »

I haven't noticed it on any others, I edited my above post btw, while you were posting that it would seem Tongue
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »

Found a level 3 bug, nothing too bad, you basically can hop on top of a enemy if the enemy sits on a trap and you choose to jump over the trap.

Me hopped up on Crab-rats.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »

Found a level 1 game breaking bug. The bug is an infinite chest bug. If you go down a set of stairs and come back up, the chest resets it's self and you can grab some more loot. In the screencap I used the chest 3 times to get loot. This can be abused to very easily and safely gather a ton of items to use/sell.

Also for some reason that specific set of stairs will not let me go up or down them with holding down the ']' for a second or two.

Also fraps doesn't seem to like to make movies for Dungeonmans.

And when you save and reload a game, you lose your shift+n keybinds.

Also this dungeon seems to spawn walls disconnected from other walls within the room it's self.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:11:35 PM by KM » Logged

ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »

Me hopped up on Crab-rats.

Hehe, "hopped up on Crab-rats!"  There are a few instances where you can get in a tile with an enemy that we know of - there are some orcs in the lower levels that will switch places with you, often switching you into another enemy's square.  It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's on the list to fix!

Also for some reason that specific set of stairs will not let me go up or down them with holding down the ']' for a second or two.

This tends to happen if the floor below you is a "cave" type map, with the large open spaces.  It takes a bit longer than it should to get the cave going.  That will be smoothed out in the future Smiley

Thanks to you all for these great reports (and to everyone sending in game data - we're getting a great response)!  Soon I'll start another thread here specifically for Alpha 4 and list some of the more common known issues you guys have helped find.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 01:41:29 AM »

I am so addicted, playing again now, one more bug to note, on the overworld, you can go one tile off screen to the right of the world, it shows fine in the map, but not in normal view, could be related to the uneven left right view tracking I mentioned.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 01:50:17 AM »

Game breaking bug!

If the overworld generates a dungeon at the far right edge of the map as I described above, the game crashes if you try and leave the dungeon.
This is likely due to being placed 1 tile right of a dungeon entrance when you exit it, and there being no more right tiles to place you in.
Billiam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 05:19:36 AM »

I had a gamebreaker in the overworld too, where the town was on the far east of the map and the dungeon was to the southeast and apparently off the map.  I went all the way west to see if it 'wrapped around' somehow, but no luck.
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »

Thanks for keeping up the reports!  I hadn't seen that one yet. 

Also, thanks again to everyone who's giving the game a shot - we've had TONS of plays coming in, which is giving us some really great data to work from :D
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2010, 02:36:16 AM »

Here's an idea (maybe not completely serious Tongue):
How's about some dungeonmans achievements?
I'm willing to write them if you're willing to implement Smiley

How do I sell? - Have 50 non-potion items in your inventory
What's a mastery? - Have 5 unspent mastery points
No seriously guys, how do I mastery? - Have 10 unspent mastery points.
Ye dungeonmans of legend - Reach level 10 of 3 dungeons
You're doing it wrong - Shoot yourself in the face, right in the face
Treasure horde - Collect 100 gold pieces
I hate shopping - Kill 5 shopkeepers
Chickens can't get you now - Kill 100 chickens
Bravery award - Kill 50 townspeople
Dodge this - Succeed in failing to jump over 50 traps
Glug glug glug - In a single life drink 12 unknown potions
Master of masteries - Max out every skill
Unfortunate accident - Died on level 1 of the first dungeon you entered

Just off the top of my head, I'll write more if people want Smiley
madjackmcmad
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »

hahah those are pretty funny. Achievements would be kind of neat, though they'd change as the game develops. One of the things a lot of Roguelikes lack is a sense of game-to-game development, each time you lose you've gained nothing but personal experience and probably a headache.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »

Glad you liked them Smiley

And my current character has lived for ages! I mean seriously, he's level 11 now, vastly better than anyone who fell before him, rangermans ftw.

However I think the spinning attack he has is broken/overpowered, as in, if you set it to a hotkey and mash the button rapidly, the enemies don't get a chance to move or attack and take stacks of damage. The technique only doesn't work when there is a ranged enemy nearby and after all the damage resolves (when you stop mashing the hotkey) you get shot hundreds of times.
Just kinda weird is all...

Plus I've noticed in some towns, the top left tile says "overworld" instead of just being grass, and when you come out of dungeons, putting you one tile to the right puts me in a forest in nearly all of the dungeons I come out of in the current world.

One last thing, I think you get too many drops, I have piles and piles of crap in my inventory, and enough money that I never need to sell any of it, and even if I did, selling stuff is a chore, drop rates should maybe be the same quality, but like 10 times less frequent.

Still loving it though Smiley
madjackmcmad
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »

And my current character has lived for ages! I mean seriously, he's level 11 now, vastly better than anyone who fell before him, rangermans ftw.

Level 11, my my. Have you seen the Hall of Fame? http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/43

However I think the spinning attack he has is broken/overpowered, as in, if you set it to a hotkey and mash the button rapidly, the enemies don't get a chance to move or attack and take stacks of damage.

That is a bug. While a special attack is happening, you shouldn't be able to do anything else. Generally speaking, after each of your actions, the enemy should get an action as well.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »

I know, all the way to 11 Tongue

My last character got to 15, I think I might be starting to improve at the game slightly, just waiting on new version now Smiley
madjackmcmad
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »

Version 4.1 is available now!

http://www.dungeonmans.com/node/44

Small tweaks, mostly balance improvements, but also the ability to choose a different sprite for your hero.

Also, there is a no-installer version for people who already have XNA installed and ready to go Gentleman

There's a few background things going on as well for Alpha 5, but none of them are quite live yet, so the game isn't terribly different. The tweaks were made to make the mid-game a little easier and the end-game a bit harder.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »

Nice, am downloading now Smiley
A new version is exactly not what I need before my exams though Tongue
deathtotheweird
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »

Thank you guys for making a non-installer version.

Like a retard I am, I played on debug mode until I realized I shouldn't be walking on walls. Gonna restart and properly play through it. But so far I'm really intrigued.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic