Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:15:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNG8-bit Gun Tales *Demo Finished, download on first page.*
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: 8-bit Gun Tales *Demo Finished, download on first page.*  (Read 26443 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 01:09:45 AM »

Lookin pretty sweet!  The only thing I have issue with is the per-pixel collision on the gun.  Hanging by the barrel on the edges of platforms looks a little funny.  It's not a deal-breaker though, I'm still looking forward to the game.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 03:05:15 AM »

actually i LOLed when i saw that, in a good way, it would be sweet if you turned it into a feature, like had a animation of him pulling himself up with his arms after hanging by the gun barrel.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »

actually i LOLed when i saw that, in a good way, it would be sweet if you turned it into a feature, like had a animation of him pulling himself up with his arms after hanging by the gun barrel.

That's actually what I'm trying to implement still. I want him to flip up on to the platform when he hangs like that. I just haven't figured out how to do that so it's not in there yet.

So yes, it was left in on purpose cuz I thought it would make for an interesting feature, since right now there's nothing else challenging about moving around platforms.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

i thought it was lolly as well. looking good! if he shoots in the air he should do a backflip

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 11:18:32 PM »

i thought it was lolly as well. looking good! if he shoots in the air he should do a backflip

that is a SWEET f'ng idea.

If I have time I'll implement it, otherwise I'll implement after the competition is finished.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 08:11:47 AM »

I'm sad this dropped all the way to the third page Sad.

In any case, I've begun making my levels, some animations and general polish is still left out right now, but I'm hoping to get it as smooth as I can for the deadline.

Just so everyone knows, this won't be a full game, simply because I don't have the time to design a bunch of bosses and levels considering my horribly inexperienced abilities with Game Maker.

But you will be able to play up to AT LEAST a first boss. For the sake of this competition I think that would be a good point to get to. So consider what I release on the 24th a demo, since I plan to keep working on this past the deadline.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 01:42:20 PM »

Not to be a pestery pesty pants, but here's a little screenshot with the revamped graphics in progress, as well as a new enemy, and generally what the game will look like by release time.

I know the background looks plain since it's all one colour, I don't know if I'll have enough time to fully remedy that. Pretty much everything is in and working to the best of my ability.

How am I doing here? This is the most I've ever managed to do on a game, I feel proud.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 01:46:59 PM »

I don't mind the background being all one color really.  I love your pixel work especially for the boilers.  I would add some light coming down from the lamp on the top of the screen.  It wouldn't be hard (I assume game maker can do per pixel transparency right) and I think it would really add to the atmosphere I think. Along those lines I think the boilers could be glowing or something I don't know.  If you don't know what I mean I can try editing the screen shot to show you.  I like the hud also especially the bullets display with the cool virtual 7 segment display.  The new enemy is the guy in the bottom right?  I like his sprite to.  Looks like your doing a good job and I'll be glad to play it Smiley
TGOC
Level 0

Argargargarg

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »

Looking real good. Keep it up.  Smiley
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »

You should add more contrast between the background and walls. I like the dark style, but it's hard to tell where the platforms are, especially on an older monitor, and that could really hurt the gameplay.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »

Ok, hopefully I make it in time, and hopefully if I'm a little late that'll be ok.

My demo is near complete, I just have like, 1 more level to design and I'm done what I can.

I'm warning everyone now that it's nowhere near complete, but it IS playable, and has a fair amount of stuff considering I've never made a game before. Watch this spot for an update.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »

It's not pretty, but it's in.

Demo on first page. Someone let me know how it goes.

I realize there are quite a number of bugs, but it was the best I could do.

Try and look past them for the sake of this demo  Embarrassed
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »

Bah, guys, where's the love?

I already had to fix some things, so a new download link is up.

Also, I'll be putting up some gameplay vids for those too lazy to play through this/those who can't get through this (the people who have played it have told me it's pretty hard)

So watch for those. Someone please tell me how this is, this is the first time I've ever really made anything, so it's kind of a huge milestone for me.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 09:58:13 AM »

Sweet dude!
I really love the usr the barrel as a way of staying on ledges and stuff. There're a few collision pains, but as you said, it's quite playable. It's a bit hard.

*reads the readme*

Oh, there's a boss? Now I have to get to it! But like I said, it's a bit hard.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

I lover how you actually use your... nose as hook. Smiley Anyway... some passages (the beginning of the level with the robots shooting in the hallway) are pretty awkward... I couldn't solve them without loosing lifes.
And sometimes the collision wont work properly.
Anyway... it's really cool! +I love the graphics. :D

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »

As previously stated, there were some problems with the collisions. Also, in the places were you went down a shaft with ledges on alternating sides, you could get stuck just below a laser trap - there was no way to escape being damage since you had to jump to leave the ledge, and as soon as you did you got hit with the laser - that was very annoying, it would be cool if you could do a shorter jump or maybe fire into the wall to have the recoil push you off the cliff or something.

Other than that, I'd say you did a really good job with the controls.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »

This is pretty damn good for a first game.  The controls are pretty responsive, except for maybe the hang-by-your-nose bit.  That's probably just due to the fact that there isn't any other game out there with that kind of mechanic.  Good job on making it necessary to use your barrel as a ledge-grabber in some parts, though.  And double-good job on not overdoing it.

Apart from a couple collision problems and some slowdown when I got to the third screen, it's a pretty decent job.  As far as gameplay goes though, I gotta say I'm not a big fan of the whole "enemy is one block higher than my standing shot" routine.  The jump-shoot-miss-jump-shoot-miss thing gets old pretty quick.  I'd rather have the enemy meet me head on, even if it means they shoot much faster.  It's more fun dodging enemy shots than it is trying to line your bullets up pixel-perfect while the enemy just sits there and waits for you to get your shot right.

Overall though it's pretty good.  I'll be keeping this one around for a bit until I finish it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »

Well, I made it to the boss, then died.
It's very bossy.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »

I applaud the whole hanging by the nose thing, but I applaud you more for making it an integral part of level design. The parts where I could only get a good shot on a laser by doing a nose jump screamed good level design to me.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 03:09:39 PM »

I applaud the whole hanging by the nose thing, but I applaud you more for making it an integral part of level design. The parts where I could only get a good shot on a laser by doing a nose jump screamed good level design to me.

Thanks man Smiley

I hope to make that more fluid and workable. I felt it was a little rough right now, and was prone to resulting in collision problems. But my coding knowledge was too limited to really fix it.

Would you guys feel better if I fixed some of the difficulty issues?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic