Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:37:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Best language for a turn based strategy game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best language for a turn based strategy game?  (Read 1877 times)
CRTSSLL
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »

So, I am looking for a language to use for my first game. I intend for it to be a turn based strategy game similar to Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem. Originally I was thinking of using Game Maker but I am wondering if there is a better language to use for turn based strategy games in particular.

I have very little experience with programming and have only used languages like Visual Basic and Qbasic before. I thought Game Maker would be the best for me because there seems to be a lot of good tutorials and it is noob friendly and cheap. Thanks for the help!         
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »

Eh - you're probably not going to find a specific 'best language' for this. Yes, some languages are more appropriate than others, but - y'know - it's not that big a deal.

You might be better off looking for an engine and then using whatever language the engine is written in. I'm not that sure about what's out there, but FIFE might interest you. I'm pretty sure you mostly code in Python for it, though you might need some C++ as well - not sure.

I guess Game Maker is a good option given your experience level, but it's not going to specifically help you with the turn-based-strategy-ness of the game.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »

In respect to tools ease of use to make an RTS, Game Maker is very easy if you don't want 3D.

CRTSSLL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »

Thanks guys. I will probably stick with Game Maker-it just seems easier and I found a game similar to what I want to make.  Smiley 
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:15:18 AM »

This question is something where only you can give the awnser. Here on the forum are enough information, to give you the awnser.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »

the language won't affect it very much, it's what you do with it. that's a bit like asking what's the best (linguistic) language to write a play in.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »

german
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 06:38:10 AM »

german

Indeed.

Best language for a turn based strategy game?

Any.

CRTSSLL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »

german

Indeed.

Best language for a turn based strategy game?

Any.

lol, thanks for all the feedback guys. Grin
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic