Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 12:34:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The difference between "coder" and "programmer"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The difference between "coder" and "programmer"  (Read 4634 times)
Kekskiller
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:15:16 AM »

Thate the one thing bugging today. It always results in huge discussions about what is and if there's a difference.

So, what is the difference?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:27:43 AM »

I always thought coder was just a more slang term for programmer, and any difference in meaning is just personal interpretation... In fact I've never seen huge discussions on that subject, seems odd to me.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:13:11 AM »

Any difference you find will be artificial, the terms are used interchangeably. I tend to use the word coder more simply because non-programmers have strange notions about what a "programmer" is.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:46:23 AM »

Coder makes code, programmer makes programs.  Shrug
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 04:54:23 AM »

Coder makes code, programmer makes programs.  Shrug
So you can still be a coder even if your code doesn't compile Corny Laugh

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:57:29 AM »

There is no difference.

Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »

Hmm... I don't think there is a difference between them. It is more a sleng related thing. I use the word programmer, but if someone says I'm a coder I don't mind because it's the same.

Maybe coder could a someone only writing part of a program, an algorithm or something... mah probably not.

Programming is the closest thing I have to magic.
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:51:52 AM »

Never thought theres something different about them, other than coder is easier to type 'cos its shorter.

Kekskiller
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:37 AM »

Ay, found an explanation of the word "Kodierer" (which means "coder") on the german Wikipedia. It seems that a coder was somebody who translated a not machine/language specific program step-by-step into a specific machine/language code. So he was someone who just ported from one code to another.

But since both terms seemed to merge nowadays, I shouldn't mind the distinction.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »

don't feed the Troll
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:33 AM »

"Programmer" can mean a slightly different thing in that it can mean someone who configures a machine by programming a series of switches and buttons, rather than by coding an application. eg., Sequencer programs

I also like that the word "Calculator" used to mean a person who was well versed in manual calculations (possibly with the aid of an apparatus such as an abacus)

Of course these are weird and esoteric meanings at best Smiley
Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:23:10 AM »

don't feed the Troll
Trooolll!! :D
We just need something to talk about. Maybe wrong section?

Programming is the closest thing I have to magic.
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »

Programmer is probably less ambiguous.  My previous job was doing programming at a non-profit medical research firm, and they kept talking about "coders."  It turns out that in their particular research area people did something called "coding" which was completely unrelated to computers or programming.  Took me a few months to figure that out.

What would John Carmack do?
Kekskiller
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »

don't feed the Troll

And I thought your last diet was enough.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »

don't feed the Troll

Burn the hoarding racist!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »

There is no difference.
Yes.

A programmer writes code using a programming language.
A coder can be either a programmer or somebody writing code that is not a programming language (XHTML and CSS, for example).

StudioFortress
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »

There is no difference.
Yes.

A programmer writes code using a programming language.
A coder can be either a programmer or somebody writing code that is not a programming language (XHTML and CSS, for example).
I disagree. I see no reason why a programmer would be using a non-programming language. A professional WPF programmer will write lots of XAML.

I think the difference is simply that coder is a more casual term, and is more hobbyist then programmer (which in turn is more professional). You could be a professional programmer, but a professional coder doesn't sound as right. But it makes very little difference.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »

I often think of "coders" as people using languages like CSS and HTML, because it's definitely not programming, but it's producing some kind of code.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »

Yeah, coders use any language (even markup languages like HTML, css, XML) wheras programmers use actual programming languages like c++, actionscript, java and so on.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »

Oh god, stop this discussion about pointless minutiae already:

Quote from: Random House Dictionary
Coder. Computers. the symbolic arrangement of statements or instructions in a computer program in which letters, digits, etc. are represented as binary numbers; the set of instructions in such a program: That program took 3000 lines of code.  Compare ASCII, object code, source code.

Programmer. a person who writes computer programs; a person who programs a device, esp. a computer.

Queue a bunch of people who will take this quote as fuel for but your own quote proves there really IS a difference!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic