Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 12:37:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The difference between "coder" and "programmer"
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The difference between "coder" and "programmer"  (Read 4635 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »

I code, therefore I am.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 05:35:27 PM »

I always made the distinction between coding and programming:

Coding: the act of typing the program and maintain the readability.

Programming: designing the program and the structure of the code.

But i would also make a difference between coder and programmer.
I would call myself more a coder than a programmer:

Coder: person who can program but not necessarily well, generally autodidact or force by situation. Code tend to be messy, not well organize and not efficient.

Programmer: person who know he in and out of programming and language, produce well organize and efficient code most of the time.

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

Programmer is probably less ambiguous.  My previous job was doing programming at a non-profit medical research firm, and they kept talking about "coders."  It turns out that in their particular research area people did something called "coding" which was completely unrelated to computers or programming.  Took me a few months to figure that out.

Yeah - my sister had a job as a 'coder', which basically involved watching psychological research videos and analysing/tagging them for what emotions and behaviour the people in them were expressing at a given time.

Still, in context of IT, they're completely interchangeable.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:19 PM »

Although I've always thought that the two terms were interchangeable, I used to prefer "coder" to "programmer" because it implied something less formal, someone willing to play fast and loose with the rules to do cool stuff, a maverick - compared to a guy who followed procedure and did stuff by the book, getting results but essentially being a bit dull. It was quite an internal distinction, and one I didn't really put into words.

Now, I still consider the terms interchangeable, but now to me they both mean "someone who writes code/programs", as contrasted "engineer", and these days I'm drawn more towards that word because although it doesn't rule out a willingness to hack or bodge a part of a job, it's someone with a deeper understanding of overarching systems and practises, someone with a better sense of discipline and craft. I guess I just got bit in the ass too many times by my own youthful codery hacks to think that it's still cool to be a maverick in the way one writes one's code.

Also: Get off my lawn!  Apoplectic

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »

To me the distinction is that a "coder" is someone who can code (and in all like-hood does so) but a programmer does it professionally with a certain degree of experience and the right mind-set.

That is why I don't like to call myself a programmer, even though I am most definitely capable of writing code and indeed do so professionally; But I lack the patience of programming all the boring routines your average program requires. In this respect I'm more of a coder.

Now that's the software engineer, the person who decides how the program will be made, but doesn't actually write it. He divides it into modular pieces and gives them to the programmers. In small enough teams this is probably the one and the same person, as is true in my case.
lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »

one is slang for the other.
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 11:53:36 PM »

I use them fairly interchangeably - my job description is "Programmer", but I'd call myself a coder. That said, I could see coder casting a wider net, into people on the more casual side of cod-er-programmi-er--

Now I'm just confused  Addicted

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 03:40:54 AM »

Call he who does this coder if you will. Or programmer. Synonyms.

This is software design or software architecture.

Coder: person who can program but not necessarily well, generally autodidact or force by situation. Code tend to be messy, not well organize and not efficient.

Programmer: person who know he in and out of programming and language, produce well organize and efficient code most of the time.
If this is how you see it, more power to ya. But using it that way and expecting ppl to share your notions is inviting misunderstanding.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
StudioFortress
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 04:36:07 AM »

It really depends tho. If it's for structuring the whole project, for ensuring a teams body of code all fits together then I'd agree this is an architectual job. But I'd expect a good programmer to be able to think ahead for designing and planning how he should structure his own code (even if it's just quickly in his head).

Architect can also refer to more abstract duties then how to structure code; like deciding what technologies to use (software and hardware), and deciding which sub-projects get the green light and which don't and why (but more from a technical point of view, like giving the ok to a project because it will reduce build times).

But this is all very subjective.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 06:35:59 AM »

How is called someone who write Excell (VB) Macros?

Hand Any Key

lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »

Hand Any Key

business analyst?
StudioFortress
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »

Hand Any Key

business analyst?
I used to work at a bank. Most of the BAs there could write some VBA, but typically weren't very good and usually ended up asking a developer to finish the work for them (simply because they never programmed). People tend to underestimate VBA thinking it's a kiddies language for just doing a few tricks in Excel. But most of the VBA work I had to do usually involved lots of database interaction with pages of SQL, interacting with third party apps, and downloading and processing data for generating data files or reports.

I also had to write lots of Java, and I found those tasks were longer but a lot easier then the VBA ones.

So I'd easily include a VBA programmer as a coder, programmer or software engineer.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »

Call he who does this coder if you will. Or programmer. Synonyms.

If this is how you see it, more power to ya. But using it that way and expecting ppl to share your notions is inviting misunderstanding.

I'm aware in conversation it's not that way Smiley it is just internal reference

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic