Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1355980 Posts in 62786 Topics- by 54579 Members - Latest Member: robageejammin

February 18, 2019, 01:15:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeonmans!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dungeonmans!  (Read 4104 times)
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »

What is it?
Dungeonmans is an XNA-based graphical roguelike that focuses on tactical action, monster crushing, and loot-getting.  It has a focus on accessibility, but features the hallmarks of the roguelike genre (random generation, permadeath, replayability, challenge).

Latest Build
The latest build is always here: http://www.dungeonmans.com/node/25
We post on the blog (and I'll post here) when a new version is available.

What makes it special?
- Serious gameplay in a not-serious world, a sense of humor!
- Collection of gameplay stats to analyze and improve experience
- Player has lots of interesting options in combat (abilities, items, etc)
- Focus on accessible learning curve (easy to learn, not at all easy to win)

Trailer
The alpha 3 trailer is here:

Feedback
Feedback is a vital part of Dungeonmans development!  There's a feedback thread here for talk about the current release (alpha 3): http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=12303.0

New Features for Next Release
These features are in active implementation right now:
- Traps are now functioning in the game and have art
- UI improvements (message box no longer floats, vitals are displayed)
- Stamina is in - weapon abilities now cost stamina
- Potions are in! Potions are unidentified the first time you run into them
- Data parser has been written to help us visually analyze user playthroughs
- Dungeon shopkeeper is now in the game
- More gear! Helms, shields, armors, and more will have new art and stats
- Magic Items with random bonuses and stats
- Balance adjustments

We just had an art day yesterday, where we had lots of friends over to make pixel art for the game.  There will be a ton of new art in the next release!

Other Stuff!
You can always see the latest at the Dungeonmans site!
We also have a twitter account and a facebook fan page, where we frequently post updates.

I posted this earlier, but it's worth mentioning again - feedback is vital to Dungeonmans!  When first start the game, you'll be able to opt-in to send us gameplay data.  This helps us objectively look at what players are actually doing in the game - what skills they're using, if they're using them, how far they get, their hit percentages, and other important information.  Parsing this data allows us to improve the game experience!

On top of that, we always want to hear your feedback.  You can post feedback about the current build in the feedback thread or use the contact form on our site.  We appreciate you taking the time to play, and I'll keep you updated on new developments, releases, and features!

ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »

Update: Initial Number Crunching

Madjackmcmad, main developer for Dungeonmans, has posted an update on the site that displays some of the data we've collected via user playthroughs!  You can opt-in to send us this data on a character death the first time you run Dungeonmans, and soon you'll be able to submit it when you're just finished playing a character (so we can get the information even if you didn't die).

This data will be used to analyze the user experience and make balance, UI, and feature changes as appropriate.  Here's a glance at one of the charts, click through to see the whole update and analysis of our current data!  We'll be using this data to help inform gameplay decisions as we progress towards the next release.

ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:36:05 PM »

This week, we're getting ready for the next big release (alpha 4)!  We're going to be posting many of the features, additions, and changes on the site each day, and I'll post a bit here about the features as well.  Today's update talks about the new gear in the game.  Dungeonmans sprites are made by the developer, myself, and a bunch of our artist friends, and this update talks about some of the new gear in alpha 4.

Gear is, of course, an important feature in roguelikes, and Dungeonmans is no exception.  We've added tons of art to provide more variety in choices for armor.  New suits of armor, some awesome shields, robes, and hats are all new! 

We've also made lots of changes to classes and their skills, so gear selection will be more important and will vary much more depending on the class you're playing.  Everyone can spend skill points to use all kinds of weapons and armor, but it might not always make sense to early on.  I'll go more in depth about skills later on.

I'll post more comments about our updates as we post them and talk more about the development of the next alpha!  To read the update on the site today about gear, go here: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/35
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »

Yesterday's Alpha 4 update (that I forgot to post yesterday, whoops!) is about the traps and hazards in Dungeonmans.  All roguelikes have traps, and Dungeonmans is no exception, but the hazards are a pretty unique take on dangerous mechanisms.  They create moving areas of effect that can hurt players who aren't cautious, or benefit those that pay attention.  You can avoid hazards - they move and spread over several turns - and you can also drag enemies through them!

You can watch the video, with narration, here:

, and you can read the update about traps and hazards here: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/36
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »

These traps look awesome, and very original for a roguelike, at least any I've played so far, I'm really looking forward to the next release.
PS Is there any plans for map gen as opposed to a standard overworld?
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:35:29 AM »

The overworld in the game right now is randomly generated, and it will likely stay that way.  Some work has been done to create interesting terrain and place towns that have a dungeon threatening them nearby.  Currently, towns are generated with a "menace" (which right now I think can be bandits, lizardmens, or scrobolds) in a dungeon nearby.  All the quests you can get in town are generated based off this data.  So, a framework for generating towns with nearby threats, populating the dungeon with the threat, and creating quests based on that threat is there already and will likely be expanded.

Recently the focus has been on the dungeon itself and making gameplay in there fun, but we have lots of plans for the overworld and progression through it.  Oh, and you can see an older video that madjack made that relates to some overworld generation he was working on here: 

Eventually that stuff will get polished and make its way back into the game!

We have some more cool stuff to show as we get close to the next release, and I'll keep posting it :D
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 05:29:08 AM »

Oh, I didn't actually realise that the overworld was generated, erm, awesome!
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »

New Updates!

Potions!

I talked a little about potions a while ago.  Alpha 4 will have much more in the consumables category for the players.  Most are beneficial or have a drawback, but a very few are harmful (probably less so than in other roguelikes).  They'll come unidentified (like in most roguelikes), and currently the only way to find out what they do is to drink them!

Balance

Madjack posted a large update about balance and how the feedback we've received from player data has impacted it.  Overall, Alpha 4 is going to be much more difficult, but will have lots more options for the player.  Bullet point version of the changes you've helped us implement:

- The XP curve has been steepened
- Out-of-depth monsters will start happening
- Lower-level monsters will no longer take a penalty to hit you
- Powers now cost mana or stamina to use
- Monsters have been buffed and rebalanced over levels

You can read the full writeup here: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/38

There's more to come!  We're targeting the coming Monday for Alpha 4 (that's the 10th), and will have an update about features and development every day until release.
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »

Today's Update!

Mastery Paths

The mastery paths for the Rangermans and Fightermans class have been completely revamped for Alpha 4.  Here's what we've done:

• "basics" masteries have been added.  Each class starts with a few basics, allowing them immediate access to more advanced masteries
  • weapon-based masteries have been removed in favor of more generalized "style" paths (like Sword and Board, which can be used with any one-hander)
  • lots of corresponding UI improvements, including the ability to bind powers to number keys
  • any class can put points in any mastery, providing they get the pre-reqs first

These changes make it easier for players to customize their character to their taste.  Instead of just putting points in whatever weapon they pick up first, players can plan more meaningfully for their playstyle. 

You can read the full post here, which goes into further detail: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/39
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »

New Class

Alpha 4 will feature a new class for Dungeonmans - the Wizardmans!

Wizardmans is the caster class (as I'm sure you guessed).  He starts with a staff, which has a ranged and melee attack, as well as a basic spell.  He has access to the Foominology (AoE and fire-based), Cryoscience (ice and status-based), and Tricksonometry (blink, invisibility, decoys, and other tricksy things) Mastery Paths.

You can learn more about the Wizardmans and his abilities in the update we posted on the site: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/40

Today I also wrote the majority of the in-game help.  It covers pretty much all of the features, and contains lots of helpful information and some gameplay tips, and describes things that are unique to alpha 4 as well (just like any good readme/online help).
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 01:34:10 AM »

This definitely sounds awesome, and I'm really looking forward to this release now Smiley
Just as a random side note, is there any plans to introduce multiplayer?
There really aren't enough (any?) multiplayer rogulikes and I think it's something worth looking into as that would really set dungeonmans apart as something special, I mean more so than it already is, plus it would be awesome fun, and pure comedy.
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »

Glad you've been enjoying the updates!  We're really excited about this one - release tomorrow!  We're scurrying about putting final touches on things and doing balance passes as I type. 

At this stage, we haven't planned a multiplayer component.  Our priorities right now are focused on getting the game to a complete state - getting the overworld and progression through it going, making quests more robust, and adding a bunch of cool features and systems to improve the dungeon experience.  It's definitely a cool suggestion; I can't think of a multiplayer roguelike myself (though there's got to be one out there).
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »

I honestly don't think there is, dungeons of fayte is the closest I think and that's more hack n slash.
It would be nice to implement, but non essential, and it would probably also give some issues to resolve with balance.
I am very much spending tomorrow evening playing the new release as well Smiley
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

It's our very last Road to Alpha 4 update!  Alpha 4 will be released tomorrow, but before that we wanted to reveal that Dungeonmans will now have a win condition!

You will now be able to venture down to the 11th floor to confront the OP 11th Level Boss Wizard!  More here: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/41, and tomorrow I'll be back to post the link to the new release :D
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »

Wizard
Wasn't alpha 4 on its way today?
I cleared my whole evening especially.
ennui
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »

We JUST went live - I wanted to finish a full playthrough before release (took a while!) Now to go celebrate with a release dinner!  :D

Here it is: http://www.dungeonmans.com/?q=node/42

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:43:50 PM by ennui » Logged
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »

Good on you proper testing is definitely worthwhile, shall begin playing now :D
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »

Is this project still active?
Any news on alpha 5?
Darthuvius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »

This game is great fun. I can't wait for sounds. Also, do you plan on releasing this game onto the Xbox? I mapped all the buttons to a controller using Xpadder and it works good. Although some of your dialogs are a bit tricky since you make choices using a,b,c,d.

Gentleman My Word!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:58:32 PM by Darthuvius » Logged
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »

I would usually make some comment about cross platform being hard to do, but I think they're building in XNA, and I think that it can deploy to xbox, being microsoft tech.
They would need an xbla publisher though I think, and I don't know how easy it is to go about doing it.
Also, I never thought of using my xbox pad for dungeonmans... might give that a go later.
Bindings probably:
1 stick to the numpad, centre for 5 (to rest), the four shoulder to 1..4 for skill bindings, the d-pad to a,b,c,d for dialog choices
A to range?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic