Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:43:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkI'd like to write for a game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I'd like to write for a game  (Read 1118 times)
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:58:20 AM »

Evan Balster, programmer.  Plaid Notion.  I've got an itch to do some game writing.  Just about anything ought to work as long as it's not too big an obligation; Plaid Notion has projects of its own going.

Here are some words I wrote which should suffice to demonstrate my style and such.  My bigger interest is story design, but I'm not sure how to show off my work in that department; all I've got are old abandoned things.  Here are a few, for whatever they're worth...

(in reverse chronological order)

FABLES OF THE GOD

Born in blackness, an intelligence stands still for time unknown before becoming aware of the stars around her.  Thus shaken from her primordial dreams, she learns to move and to explore.  She has a great many adventures exploring these lights in the darkness, and eventually stumbles across a strange and novel phenomenon.

A great blackness descends upon a people resembling humanity.  Terrified, they wonder what to do.  Their fear escalates as they realize the shadow seems to be alive.  It drifts from place to place and strange things happen where it stops.  They contemplate how to fight it off.

MONDAY PARADIGM [silly working title]

Five people wake up after being unconscious and find themselves alone in their city of residence.  The streets are empty; everything is abandoned.  Their most recent memories seem to grow fuzzy and they don't understand what happened.  One by one they meet up, and they search for answers together in the city and surrounding countryside.

This story was focused on the interactions of the characters and their diverse philosophies.  I could go into greater detail but things didn't get far past the design stage.  I'll just mention their nicknames: The Gentleman, The Doctor, The Hermit, The Idealist and The Cynic.

FIVE [working title] (a year back..?)

One is a knight cursed to wander by night in search of the charge he failed.  By day he turns to stone and must watch, wholly lucid, as the world moves by.  He does not age and cannot be slain, but he cannot deviate from his quest.

One is a shapeshifter who travels freely with no particular goals.  She cannot hold a form long for risk of becoming the person or creature she impersonates.  In times past this has occurred, and she's lost all memory of what came before.

One is a living disease of sorts; a body-jumper who every seven days kills his host and must choose a new one.  He has no choice regarding his curse but to decide (if he can) who to take next.  So it is he has only stolen identities and sad stories to tell.

One is a sorceress who holds great power but entirely lacks control over it.  Wherever she walks, the air is stirred and things are broken.  It takes all her concentration not to let the things around her fall into complete chaos.

One is an old man who has all the answers to this story, and like the rest lives on undying.  He would tell gladly but cannot bring himself to speak; when he tries, his mind goes blank and he can say nothing.

FIVE was a story design I came up with when I quite consciously decided to be lazy by using a somewhat generic fantasy setting.  I was tired of running into a need for research as I had in a few prior projects.  Doing this, I reasoned, would give me greater freedom and less grief in enacting my ideas as they related to the story.  The setting itself is derived from the European renaissance.  The few bits of writing I've got from it aren't too bad; perhaps I'll put them up above sometime.

VARIANT (high school)

In the desert is a great and ramshackle city, cobbled together from found things and inhabited by a strange and distorted people: the Variants.  These folk are not born; they appear near the city and find their way there.  They live far to the east of human society, content to keep to themselves.  But assassins are sent across the sands, and the Variant people live in fear.  Our story here focuses on a particularly strange unnamed figure who has arrived at the city to start a life there, after living for some time in the desert.

Humanity, far away, lives under the rule of Higher Power, their God and King.  Since the colonies' beginning hundreds of years earlier, it has flourished under His guidance.  He warns of the dangers of the world beyond the safe lands, particularly the savage and murderous Variants.  His most devout followers hunt these creatures, or spread His word.  A secondary narrative follows a boy who gets lost in the northern forests, and comes into contact (eventually) with the aforementioned Variant.

Variant was the only writing project of mine that ever got to any significant length.  It numbered about sixty Word pages or so (Perhaps a hundred in a standard-size book..?) when I abandoned it.

---

Right now my most active story design work is in planning out Plaid Notion's Lapratan with Teknogames.  That one ought to be pretty good.  In fact it's the reason I'm looking to work on a story now; I want some solid practice.  :D

Send me an E-mail if interested.  I can't be arsed to keep checking this topic...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:01:37 AM by Cellulose Man » Logged

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic