Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:08:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGMy First Skydiving Academy(FINISHED)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: My First Skydiving Academy(FINISHED)  (Read 83104 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »

How bout collecting childrens panadol?

Too much?

While funny, yeah I think that might be too much.  I'd go with something more easily recognizable as baby paraphernalia.

tweet tweet @j_younger
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »

For extra "sickness", you could have screaming mothers on the cliff face desperately trying to catch their babies... Grin If you hit one of them at a speed where they can catch you without dropping you, it's instant Game Over.

I mean, why not? You're already going to Hell, so to speak... Might as well do it properly! :D
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 06:18:52 PM »

hahah this is fucking incredible. I can't wait.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »

For extra "sickness", you could have screaming mothers on the cliff face desperately trying to catch their babies... Grin If you hit one of them at a speed where they can catch you without dropping you, it's instant Game Over.

I mean, why not? You're already going to Hell, so to speak... Might as well do it properly! :D

You are a sick man, lol.  Great ideas, implemented tree ragdolly/dodgy physics effects for the forest stage last night, its equally amusing, I realy like the idea of collectables, so ill probably try and cram something like that in too if i get the time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:41:11 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 12:47:44 AM »

How about this:

Before the baby is tossed, its chute is tossed ahead of it.

The game then becomes a race to catch the chute in time to deploy it safely. The player has to balance going for speed (to catch up to the chute) with keeping the baby alive (ie. not turning it into baby coloured jam on the cliff).

There are lots of ways this could be made more complex, but it seems like a pretty solid mechanic to me.

PS. Your game is sick.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 05:31:24 AM »

If you have time, maybe have a two-player mode, where the babies can bounce off each other and knock each other into the cliff faces.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 06:14:01 AM »

I wasn't expecting it to look that good, but the silhouette style is spot on, and the game seems polished already. This is gonna be tough to beat Smiley
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 01:00:22 AM »

Dont sweat it man, i got a job now so I wont have much time to finish, that and im leaving on the 19th (or 20th in usa?) to go white water rafting, because im hardcore Cool.

So lets hope I get this P.O.S finished in time, by the 20th lets hope, jesus thats like 10 days or something.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:05:33 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 07:46:24 AM »

Wow, this is excellent! Love the style and ragdoll physics.

"Fun is rule."
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »

Ok vid 2:

UI still needs loads of work, lots of little tweaks are needed on the enemies also, they sort of rebound kinda odd atm, I was going to keep this all till the end, but meh, just want some feedback, the usual.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 11:51:38 PM »

Ok vid 2:

Awesome.

I suggest leaving a trail of bits of melty snow blobs when the snowball is shedding.

@doomlaser, mark johns
skrew
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 12:45:39 AM »

should have snakes in the jungle that you can burn through or, alternately be bounced back up the mountain. and should have abominable snowmen in the snow level that when you melt scream like little girls and cover their now naked body.
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 01:18:47 AM »

This is looking incredibly cool.

Be nice to give it some more kapow. Something like a pose ability. Star fish, barrel roll, aimless tumbling, bullet, all those totally classic skydiver poses you see. Obviously they alter your wind resistance and hence your speed.

Might open up a few gameplay ideas. eg Tumbling makes easier to bounce off stuff, bullet makes you go faster but splatter, starfish slows you down and enhances maneuverability etc etc Getting way ahead of myself here, but pOssibly introduce rewards for speed to the bottom, least amount of damage, most amount of damage, gracefulness etc to capitalize upon the in flight poses.

science.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:21:59 AM by Gorman » Logged

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:39 AM »

I'm speechless... Excuse me while I go downstairs and find my jaw.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 03:16:45 AM »

Ok vid 2:

Awesome.

I suggest leaving a trail of bits of melty snow blobs when the snowball is shedding.

Just added man, good call   Grin
This is looking incredibly cool.

Be nice to give it some more kapow. Something like a pose ability. Star fish, barrel roll, aimless tumbling, bullet, all those totally classic skydiver poses you see. Obviously they alter your wind resistance and hence your speed.

Might open up a few gameplay ideas. eg Tumbling makes easier to bounce off stuff, bullet makes you go faster but splatter, starfish slows you down and enhances maneuverability etc etc Getting way ahead of myself here, but pOssibly introduce rewards for speed to the bottom, least amount of damage, most amount of damage, gracefulness etc to capitalize upon the in flight poses.

science.

Incredibly cool idea man, something tells me i dont have the time to implment it before the 20th tho Sad  I will definately add in some sort of bonuses for kickass level times also, unlocking the other levels and anything else is just creep at the moment.

As it is MMF is struggling with all the particles being thrown around, I have a sneaking suspicion I might need to do some optimization for a night or two, again the downside of using mmf2.  The other problem I think everyone will have is the game is very short, I know it worries me, the levels are a little over a minute long if your kickass, 1:30 if you suck, and while there are a few alternate paths I think it realy needs like x10 the levels and content, but hey, for a small 20 day project should be ok. 

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 03:42:26 AM »

You can always improve it after the compo! Wink

I am worryingly excited by this game. Kiss

olücæbelel
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:22 AM »

This made me happy, again and again, and just showing it around, spreading the joy. The beginning really cracks me up, that plane just swerving through, throwing the baby, you know the pilot is a major disgruntled employee somehow. That and 'Danger Zone', awesome choice.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »

There are lots of great games in this compo, but this game has win written all over it. Great stuff.

Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 09:36:32 AM »

Looks amazing, love the graphical style! The bouncing palm trees and struggling vultures are awesome Smiley

The only thing that seemed a bit odd was the way the baby caught snow in the third level; as if the baby bloats into a ball. This is especially clear right before the end of the clip, where the baby collides shortly with the surface, bounces of, yet grows in mid-air.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 04:52:18 PM »

Wow this video is really neat. That's a nice framework you must have there.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic