Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411541 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 02:08:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSpace Captain McCallery Episode 1 (NEW VERSION)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Captain McCallery Episode 1 (NEW VERSION)  (Read 2007 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »

Space Captain McCallery
Episode 1:  Crash Landing

This is episode one of my episodic game series “Space Captain McCallery.”

In it, you play as a space pirate who has been abandoned by his crew and has crash landed on a alien planet.  The game is a top-down action adventure game similar to Legend of Zelda that combines arcade style shooting with survival elements.

This first episode is freeware.

Find it here

Screenshots:

Hope you enjoy!   Coffee

EDIT:  I have uploaded a new version.  I've made changes in the first episode to reflect changes I've made to the gameplay in the second episode, namely the ability to jump diagonally, holding down the shoot button to repeatedly shoot and strafe, and the camera stopping at the edge of a room.  I've also thrown in a little hidden extra   Who, Me?.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:36:07 PM by Malec2b » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:22:09 AM »

why can i move diagonally but not jump or shoot diagonally
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »

It was a design choice made rather early on, partially influenced by genre convention (from Legend of Zelda) and to put more emphasis on the strafing mechanic.  Since then, much of the design has been made with 4-direction shooting and jumping in mind.  Hopefully the strafe ability should make up for the inability to shoot diagonally.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:59:08 PM by Malec2b » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »

There are very few instances where I felt the need to shoot diagonally. I forget the exact location but there was a diagonal hallway that was pretty frustrating to fight enemies in but so far that's it (it's right after the part where the lightning knocks those weird columns around and you have to dodge them as they fall apart).

I remember playing the beta but I didn't get as far as I am now. Was kinda hoping for more puzzles. It's a fun game though, I really liked the mini-boss fight. The hallucination effect is wonderful, it really makes me paranoid (if I have to take it). I run around shooting everything hoping that it either dies or passes through me.

I plan on finishing it later tonight. Will post overall thoughts then.

edit:

Wow, I didn't realize how close I was till the end when I quit last night (literally 2 screens away).

I died a few times at the end boss before I got angry (also was trying to make time go by because I was hallucinating) and just rushed him and ended up bypassing the battle entirely! I felt cheated..

I also wanted more when I finished, it's so short! Would also be cool if episode 2 had some puzzles.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:55:17 PM by allen » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »

Alright, I've made an update that should fix the issue with being able to, er...run through the final boss.   Who, Me?

Anyway, yeah, further episodes should be longer and have more puzzles.  This first episode was partially me getting the hang of the genre, and it ended up coming out rather more combat focused than I had been planning.  Further episodes will be made with what I've learned making this first episode in mind.

(Also, there was a little bonus you unlocked by beating the game.  It's not much, but hopefully it can extend the gameplay experience a bit.   Beer!)

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »

For anyone interested, there is now a DevLog for the second episode: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=12504.0

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »

UPDATE:

I have uploaded a new version.  I've made changes in the first episode to reflect changes I've made to the gameplay in the second episode, namely the ability to jump diagonally, holding down the shoot button to repeatedly shoot and strafe, and the camera stopping at the edge of a room.  I've also thrown in a little hidden extra  Who, Me?.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic