Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 05:50:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpace Opera Shooter!?!?!? (University Class Project)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Opera Shooter!?!?!? (University Class Project)  (Read 1198 times)
Fungi
« on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:42 PM »

Hey Guys,

A group of four students including myself recently finished this game as part of a university class on game design.

We're looking to get comments on the game to see how successful we were in achieving the main focus which was to find an emotional connection between the external shooter game and the internal view of the inside of the ship.

Let me know what you guys think. =)

Game Link: http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1272576349 (PreLoader Doesn't Work, sorry, SwfCabin + Flixel don't mix, give it a minute to load)

Game Development Log and PostMortem: https://sakai.rutgers.edu/access/wiki/site/0a4e9ee5-ee55-4b15-b778-52a05786e504/escape%20from%20planet%20doom.html

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »

I like the crew stuff a lot. I thought the writing was good and the way it is presented (eg with the scrolling speech bubbles) is excellent. The loneliness/hate mechanic is a bit primitive, but what can you do. One thing that I felt was missing was much sense of progress or the passage of time; I was hoping for a map showing the progress of the ship, or something like that.

I didn't honestly find myself thinking much about the crew in the action parts. I'm not much of a shmup guy and was generally just trying to make sense of the chaos. The one time the crew was brought to mind was when one ejected (a really nice iea) and then I couldn't remember which of the ones with a male name was the robot.

One glitchy thing - sometimes you get text at the bottom of the screen saying something like "click to close". If you click on the text, the click also registers with some other part of the interface and you get sent to the powerup information page.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:05:17 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:52:20 AM »

I thought the game was pretty fun, but it got frustrating trying to balance Viki's drugginess, Fred's weirdness over his brother, and BRO's just plain creepiness.  I lost Fred by the end to heart failure.

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic