Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:34:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 538061 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: June 14, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »

Oh, cool beans then.

EDIT: Concept art:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:06:20 PM by Matt Thorson » Logged

Supermini_man
« Reply #1081 on: June 14, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »

Unfortunately I couldn't get G-Force Fighters done on timescale that I said some posts ago, since I didn't got anyone to remake the game's track until early today. Although I have uploaded a near finished build without music, and that way I can receive feedback that I can use for the final version. There isn't documentation yet, since is something that I plan to do when the game is done.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3268838/G-Force%20Fighters%200.9.zip
Some notes:
- X to shoot.
- The Wave-o-Gravity only lasts 3 seconds, when the Point Magnet lasts until the player gets hit.
- Big orange bombs take five hits to explode, and it destroys the enemies around it.
- Sometimes green enemies shoot backwards like the original game, although I may remove it if nobody likes it, or at least I'll try to make it better.
And I think it's all. Enjoy. Smiley
(and try to find the two hided Cheetahman easter eggs)
pgil
« Reply #1082 on: June 14, 2010, 03:24:35 PM »

Supermini: I played for a while, and there didn't seem to be any variation.. just a straight hallway with green ships and orange bombs. Is there a goal I'm missing?
increpare
« Reply #1083 on: June 14, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »

Finally, after several hours of wrangling, I'm back where I was at the start, but with more bookkeeping to do and a lot more flexibility.  Hurrah for cheetahmen.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 14, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »

unless you've got it in you to very radically redesign g-force fighters, i'm afraid your game's gonna get cut as well (making g-force fighters the only game in this competition to have two rejected, finished games).

the game is far too unpredictable, and it's impossible to pick up what exactly is going on. enemies move too fast, and in too great a quantity, and there seems to be no real skill involved with playing the game, and most of all, it's just not FUN to play in any capacity.

like everyone else, you can continue to develop your game, but it won't be featuring on the final A52O package.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: June 14, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »

Finally, after several hours of wrangling, I'm back where I was at the start, but with more bookkeeping to do and a lot more flexibility.  Hurrah for cheetahmen.

So pumped!

MaloEspada
« Reply #1086 on: June 14, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »

unless you've got it in you to very radically redesign g-force fighters, i'm afraid your game's gonna get cut as well (making g-force fighters the only game in this competition to have two rejected, finished games).

the game is far too unpredictable, and it's impossible to pick up what exactly is going on. enemies move too fast, and in too great a quantity, and there seems to be no real skill involved with playing the game, and most of all, it's just not FUN to play in any capacity.

like everyone else, you can continue to develop your game, but it won't be featuring on the final A52O package.

I don't think that's the right way to act; I haven't played his game yet but it seems he is able to make a game, so why not just give feedback to him and let him improve? If it's not at the level of craftsmanship you want yet, well, do something to help (and you provided feedback, so it's ok). I just don't think it's right to let some dude work on it and just say "SORRY, YOU AREN'T WORTH DONT TRY ANYMORE".

I believe with enough feedback, he can possibly make it a great game in no time. It's up to him, really, but we need to help too.

That's how I feel about it, anyway.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1087 on: June 14, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »

Unfortunately I couldn't get G-Force Fighters done on timescale that I said some posts ago, since I didn't got anyone to remake the game's track until early today. Although I have uploaded a near finished build without music, and that way I can receive feedback that I can use for the final version. There isn't documentation yet, since is something that I plan to do when the game is done.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3268838/G-Force%20Fighters%200.9.zip
Some notes:
- X to shoot.
- The Wave-o-Gravity only lasts 3 seconds, when the Point Magnet lasts until the player gets hit.
- Big orange bombs take five hits to explode, and it destroys the enemies around it.
- Sometimes green enemies shoot backwards like the original game, although I may remove it if nobody likes it, or at least I'll try to make it better.
And I think it's all. Enjoy. Smiley
(and try to find the two hided Cheetahman easter eggs)

A few things:

- The orange bombs don't cause nearly enough destruction. You should increase the blast radius.
- There's no enemy variety.
- It's kinda boring after a while.

I love the breakneck pace the game plays at, and the power-ups, but there's not a whole lot of interesting stuff going on. Maybe include some different enemy types, or make some levels by hand? Right now there's not a lot of incentive after the first minute or two to keep playing.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 14, 2010, 11:48:12 PM »

I don't think that's the right way to act; I haven't played his game yet but
hey bro, let me save you the trouble of typing out a lot of uninformed and pointless blabbering and just stop you right here!!!

INSTEAD let me point you to the countless earlier iterations of his game, where people were doing just that!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:54:54 PM by mr. podunkian » Logged

Supermini_man
« Reply #1089 on: June 15, 2010, 01:57:57 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Since I have been kicked out the compo I don't know if I'll continue to make G-Force Fighters. I'll still come here to give feedback to the devs, and hope somebody makes justice to G-Force Fighters.  Tired

@Mr.Podunkian I understand, then. But I didn't complete two games (the first build was just a level). Best of luck for the project anyway.
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 15, 2010, 12:12:26 PM »

Progress is going well. All of most sprites are made. A few animations need finishing.

At the moment I'm replacing my place holders. And fine tuning the game engine, I'd like quick gameplay, but for the game to last far longer and have more than two levels. But We'll see I guess. I'm doing this along side my computing project worth 40% of my marks, and so far it seems to be giving me inspiration to actually do more for this project.

Fingers crossed and there will be a video soon.
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: June 15, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »

Slasher Level Snippet

There are 2 collectible secrets in this level (snippet).

X to enter combat stance, arrow keys to control sword.  C to Jump.  X+C to dash. Release X mid dash (while holding C) to 'dashjump', which increases the size of the jump.

Also, watch out in the beginning of the level, there's a big blue cube charging towards you (graphics incomplete).
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: June 15, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »

Finally getting to the other dungeons and stuff in Meong, progress updates will be few and far between until I actually have some more weighty news to report on.
Goddamnit, PigsceneIRC >=(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:42:13 PM by Neonlare » Logged
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »

I'm announcing my withdrawal on Ninja Assault. Even after planning out a radical new design, my estimate for content development is gonna be another two weeks of full-time work, and there is no guarantee that that will finish the game off and make it remotely fun. I've spent about five weeks on it already, lost my motivation, and need to move on anyway.

My successor is welcomed to review/reuse all assets and code here:
http://bitbucket.org/triplefox/fireball/src/tip/nina/

My main recommendation: don't actually try to do a full-on traditional beat-em-up, they aren't amenable to a short production cycle because everything revolves around unique animation/collision/state interactions per character, rather than a compact set of tunable physics/logic rules like a platformer or shmup. You can cut a lot of stuff to make it work but gameplay will suffer - just look at the original Ninja Assault to see what happens when taken to the extreme. A stealth/platforming game, or something totally off-the-wall like I was planning, might be a good alternative for the theme.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 16, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »

Progress in Sharks has been steady, though as usual slower than I had anticipated (everything will take longer than you first assume, eh?)

I still have roughly one week and most of the gameplay's already there, so I'm feeling confident I can finish this in time and make it fun.

How I wish I had all day long to work on this.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #1095 on: June 16, 2010, 12:30:42 AM »

Spent most of yesterday sorting out new computer, but got some bugs fixed in game.  Progress continues slowly.
L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1096 on: June 16, 2010, 01:24:23 AM »

Hey, "Fire Breathers" Radnom: I was thinking of putting in a subtle cameo of those dragons in my game. Could I see what your sprites look like right now?
My main recommendation: don't actually try to do a full-on traditional beat-em-up, they aren't amenable to a short production cycle because everything revolves around unique animation/collision/state interactions per character, rather than a compact set of tunable physics/logic rules like a platformer or shmup. You can cut a lot of stuff to make it work but gameplay will suffer - just look at the original Ninja Assault to see what happens when taken to the extreme. A stealth/platforming game, or something totally off-the-wall like I was planning, might be a good alternative for the theme.
Maybe a basic platformer with simple but pronounced melee combat mechanics, like for instance Zelda 2?
GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1097 on: June 16, 2010, 01:35:51 AM »

Another progress report, but not much to say. I'm still working on Chill Out, but at a slower pace. I've been busy with other things but I don't think this will be a huge delay.

mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 16, 2010, 06:11:04 AM »

Another progress report, but not much to say. I'm still working on Chill Out, but at a slower pace. I've been busy with other things but I don't think this will be a huge delay.
if i could make a suggestion, please increase the framerate from whatever it is now (30?) to something higher. games that run at 30 frames per second feel really amateur game-makery. besides that the concept of your game is cool, but the grapple controls are a bit fidgety.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 16, 2010, 07:23:52 AM »

GZ you got any of the rest of targ working on it with you?

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic