Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:03:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 538164 times)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: September 29, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »

Welp, I guess I'll probably start working on Firebreathers sometime soon. I have a couple of ideas for Manchester (and I could use the aforementioned game engine thats being worked on), but I have several more for Firebreathers. Wish me luck!
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1841 on: October 03, 2012, 06:50:58 AM »

Hey folks, saw this coming back to life and thought it was pretty amazing! I stopped work on Crazy Shuffle because of the lack of interest, and that was about 3 hard drives ago but I have both Good and Bad News.

Good News is that I backed up the latest edition onto my Dropbox (I think, if not Dropbox then one of my Memory Sticks, either way I KNOW it's backed up somewhere), and it was something like 70-75% complete. All I needed to do was compose boss music, finish the bosses for each area and add local multi-player compatibility.

Bad News is that I worked on the project with Game Maker 8.1, and was using an ogg.dll to play music and the likes. I've now upgraded to Game Maker Studio, but that means that these .dlls shouldn't work any more. Unless I get my hands on Game Maker 8.1 again, or have someone else compile the code, I won't be able to work on the project again until Studio gets .dll support again or I downgrade temporarily to 8.1.

Unless I'm wrong about Game Maker Studio, which I hope I am.
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1842 on: October 03, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »

Hey everyone, here is your guy's first look at my remake of Ooze (don't count my other screenshots, I have started the game over):

Yeah, I know I am not a good artist or anything, but still, this is probably the best art I have ever made.
Do you notice the gadget belt on the "Ooze man"? That is a feature I am hoping to implement (the red gun is Ooze's main laser gun, the black one is a normal gun which may or may not be implemented, and the yellow thing is a secret  Grin which may or may not be implemented). So, give me your feedback on the sprite!
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: October 04, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »

Hey everyone, here is your guy's first look at my remake of Ooze (don't count my other screenshots, I have started the game over):

Yeah, I know I am not a good artist or anything, but still, this is probably the best art I have ever made.
Do you notice the gadget belt on the "Ooze man"? That is a feature I am hoping to implement (the red gun is Ooze's main laser gun, the black one is a normal gun which may or may not be implemented, and the yellow thing is a secret  Grin which may or may not be implemented). So, give me your feedback on the sprite!

Well, I'm not pixel artist (as you can clearly tell by my avatar...), but I say it looks...okay to bad depending on the style you're going for. If you're going for an 8-bit style then I guess it looks okay, but the head looks a bit strange to me. However it clashes hard with the graphics from most of the other remakes (most of the ones I've seen seem to go with a Cave Story-esque style for some reason). I probably shouldn't be so much of a critic considering that I probably couldn't animate a sprite that big (Well, unless you scaled it up for viewing...), and you've at least already started your project, but meh. Unless you're going for an 8-bit feel (or are lazy like me and always do shading last...), you should probably get an artist to do the graphics for you.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what direction are you going with for the game gameplay-wise?
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1844 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »

Well, I'm not pixel artist (as you can clearly tell by my avatar...), but I say it looks...okay to bad depending on the style you're going for. If you're going for an 8-bit style then I guess it looks okay, but the head looks a bit strange to me. However it clashes hard with the graphics from most of the other remakes (most of the ones I've seen seem to go with a Cave Story-esque style for some reason). I probably shouldn't be so much of a critic considering that I probably couldn't animate a sprite that big (Well, unless you scaled it up for viewing...), and you've at least already started your project, but meh. Unless you're going for an 8-bit feel (or are lazy like me and always do shading last...), you should probably get an artist to do the graphics for you.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what direction are you going with for the game gameplay-wise?
Thanks for your criticism. Any feedback is well appreciated  Smiley The character is actually much smaller, but I drew it in the same size as the picture above. I tried export the character and view it in its actual size, but it was too small (I am obviously going to need to make the character a little bigger) so I just took a screenshot of the place I drew it from. I guess I am aiming for the 8-bit style because that's the best I can draw  Facepalm because it is what I work best with. Including, I don't really have experience with making 16 bit/Cave Story art. I am using a program called Pixen to draw. And yes, I know, I suck at drawing (or am "meh" at it). You mention how the head looks a little off. I agree with that,  but how could I change that? And I really want to add shading, but I can't promise it. I am going to resize the character and upload the actual sprite as soon as I can!
Once again, I deeply appreciate the feedback! Smiley
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: October 04, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »

Well, I can relate to you with the 8-bit thing, trust me. I'd say make the head rounder, the eyes a tad bit larger and the neck a bit shorter (depending on how much you round the head, a more pronounced chin might do your sprite justice as well). As for shading, 8-bit art typically doesn't need or use it, but if you find you want to add a little shading, I suggest dithering (if you know what that term means). As it stands though, you don't really need shading, so long as you stick to the 8-bit theme.
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1846 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:36 PM »

Thank you for all your help! I am going to try apply your advise to my sprite to make it look better.When you mentioned that I should get an artist earlier, I would love to but I don't really know anyone who would want to make art (and animate) for me without payment. Including, I would feel bad about putting all that workload on someone. I know there are some people on this forums who can make awesome art in a second, but as I said in the sentence above, I would feel bad putting that workload on someone unless they were really up to it. However, for the music part, I am definitely going to need someone to remake the Ooze song for me as I CANNOT compose songs (even though I am fine at remixing them and doing sound effects and noises)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: October 04, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »

I could try and see if I can come up with a good remix. Any specific style you have in mind or should I keep with the 8 bit theme?
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1848 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »

Wow really? That's so nice of you. Here is  

. You know better than I do about this sort of stuff, so whatever theme you think works best (either 8 bit or something else). Just make sure that your remake is catchy just like the original (but a good kind of catchy, not the annoying kind in the original song.).  Thank you!!!
Oh, and just to let you know, right now I am remaking the Ooze sprite.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »

K, I'll start in it when I have time. It would help if I knew the feel you're going for with the game, so I know the direction to go with the music.

EDIT: Well, here's a few minutes work. Tell me if it fits the feel of your game or not so far. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29071079/SimpleOozeRemix.mp3

...and yes, I did start this by ear before I remembered that I could just check if VGMusic had a MIDI...ah well...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:15:53 PM by Gravity Games » Logged
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1850 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

@jakomocha: Here's a very quick edit for your sprite. I just changed some proportions and altered the colors. Try to simplify the shapes like making the head a big square. Colors are a hard thing to learn and take time and practice but try not to use overly saturated colors. I threw some redish color on the skin to help it look a little more alive. I would suggest start making your game with your own graphics, if it comes along far enough you can probably find an artist to do the graphics.

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: October 05, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

@jakomocha: Here's a very quick edit for your sprite. I just changed some proportions and altered the colors. Try to simplify the shapes like making the head a big square. Colors are a hard thing to learn and take time and practice but try not to use overly saturated colors. I threw some redish color on the skin to help it look a little more alive. I would suggest start making your game with your own graphics, if it comes along far enough you can probably find an artist to do the graphics.

It seems a bit too blocky to me, but the colors here do look a lot more natural.
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1852 on: October 05, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »

First and foremost, here are the newest Ooze sprites!!!
(Bigger version):
(Actual Size):
Yeah, I know, there is a big difference. So tell me what you guys think. I completely re-drew him.
Next thing, for your song. I love it! However, it feels very arcadey- and I am not quite sure if that is what I am aiming for. Maybe I should wait until I am further in game development until I focus on the audio. Otherwise, you did a great job! Thank you so much! Do you think Ooze should feel arcadey? And Nate, thanks a lot for the improved drawing. I like how you varied the colors. However, I think I prefer my updated and less-blockly drawing more.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »

I think an older arcade feel actually would work nice for it, considering you're going with retro styled graphics. If you don't like the feel of the song however, I could try for a different feel (you think it might be because of the slower tempo?).
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1854 on: October 05, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »

My version of oozeman:

The shrunken arm and rubbery gun are gameplay features.

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »

My version of oozeman:

The shrunken arm and rubbery gun are gameplay features.

That's honestly almost exactly like my imagining of the Ooze man, but with a slightly shorter Mohawk, and mine had a more Sci-fi/futuristic styled gun and suit.
King Hadas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: October 06, 2012, 08:03:08 AM »

Hey folks, saw this coming back to life and thought it was pretty amazing! I stopped work on Crazy Shuffle because of the lack of interest, and that was about 3 hard drives ago but I have both Good and Bad News.

Good News is that I backed up the latest edition onto my Dropbox (I think, if not Dropbox then one of my Memory Sticks, either way I KNOW it's backed up somewhere), and it was something like 70-75% complete. All I needed to do was compose boss music, finish the bosses for each area and add local multi-player compatibility.

Bad News is that I worked on the project with Game Maker 8.1, and was using an ogg.dll to play music and the likes. I've now upgraded to Game Maker Studio, but that means that these .dlls shouldn't work any more. Unless I get my hands on Game Maker 8.1 again, or have someone else compile the code, I won't be able to work on the project again until Studio gets .dll support again or I downgrade temporarily to 8.1.

Unless I'm wrong about Game Maker Studio, which I hope I am.

Downgrade and make it happen. I loved Meong and I am anxious to see what you ultimately do with Crazy Shuffle.

First and foremost, here are the newest Ooze sprites!!!
(Bigger version):
(Actual Size):
Yeah, I know, there is a big difference. So tell me what you guys think. I completely re-drew him.

That looks a lot better, my only criticism is with his feet. They look like they're drawn upside-down. I would think you'd want the soles flat to the ground.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 07, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »

I agree with King Hadas, the shoes need to be flipped (and in my opinion, elongated as well).

Also: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29071079/OozeThemeRemix.mp3  Well, hello there!

Just tell me if you'd rather have the original speed and I'll change that for you.
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1858 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »

Gravity Games Oh my god! I love your remix!!!!!!! I have to use it!!! :D Thank you so much!!
King Hadas Thanks for your feedback! I will try change up the feet.
HandCraftedRadioHaha, I love your drawing. 
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1859 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

Here is the new and improved Ooze (all I did was flip his feet, sorry to get your hopes high):

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic