Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:32:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGSavage Balloon 3000: finished link on 1st or 3rd page
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Savage Balloon 3000: finished link on 1st or 3rd page  (Read 37408 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »

OK so this is a finished version kind of.  It's completed but it's still in .jar format not .exe.  This means it plays fine but if you want it to be a bit nicer packaged wait till tonight.  To play just unzip it and double click on savageballoon3000.jar.  You can turn the fps meter off and on, fullscreen off and on, and music off and on.  These buy default all start as off.  Like I said wait for tonight if you want it packaged better this is just to make sure that if I die tonight I have a finished version out.

http://nitsud.rhodes.googlepages.com/SavageBalloon3000.zip

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »

OK the game is finished!

Savage Balloon 3000

Download:

For Mac/Linux: http://nitsud.rhodes.googlepages.com/SavageBalloon3000.zip
just double click on savageballoon3000.jar and it will open. 

For Windows: http://nitsud.rhodes.googlepages.com/SavageBalloon3000windows.zip
You could use the mac/linux one but this one has an actual .exe with a nice icon and everything.

Story/Instructions: note these are also in game...

You are a balloon, and not just any balloon but the savage balloon 3000. How did you get like this?  Well, one day, while you were being carried by your child, disaster struck.  Your child was stung by a bee.  From that day forward you vowed to destroy all bees using nothing but your savagery.  To activate your savagery press wasd in the direction you wish to attack.  Your savagery will only last for so long though so use it wisely.  Once it's finished you will return to being a normal balloon and be forced to avoid bees once again until your cool down period is done.  When you see the hive at the end of a level crash into it to destroy the whole thing and end the level.  You earn points based on how many bees you destroy in a single rage so get as many as you can.  If you have already completed a level you may skip it by pressing the space bar.  Try to unlock all the colors by getting to level 20 or beyond.

Screen shots:

If anyone wants to see screen shots kinda going through the process of making this game you can see it here

http://picasaweb.google.com/nitsud.rhodes/SavageBalloon3000

Great competition everyone!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:07:20 PM by dustin » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 11:34:12 PM »

Played until level 11 until it became too much for my shaky Microsoft mouse. I think that it might need to be a little clearer to the player when the balloon can go savage, so that you don't have to constantly divert your attention to a tiny counter in the top-left. Possibly a slight hardening of the balloon's expression? Oh, and was it intentional to give the player some additional control on death? When the pop animation is playing, you can still skip to the next cleared level and preserve your score, as well as crash into the beehive to beat the level. Still, the game worked well, and played nice.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »

yeah I know what you mean about adding a ready to be angry animation.

Also yes I do know you can control him after he pops I left that end for dramatic last ditch efforts to pop the bee hive even through a hord of bees.  I didn't think about hitting space to skip the level but it doesn't really bother me as it just means those who reach higher levels can get higher scores.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »

I don't know what's the problem, I tried on two computer and the game window just closes right after launch. Sad
I can play some other games made in java (I actually code some games in java) so I don't know what's the problem.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »

arg this is so frustrating!  It has worked fine on the 2 macs and 2 pcs i've tried it on.  It does use opengl acceleration but if you have other lwjgl code running then I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

I would download the non windows one and double click savage balloon 3000.jar but other then that I don't know what to say...

Also I uploaded 2 mirrors incase the first links don't work
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »

I would download the non windows one and double click savage balloon 3000.jar but other then that I don't know what to say...
I'll try that and get back to you.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »

If you find anything out please let me know.  This was my first java program that I've needed to be able to start from anything other then the command line (you can start this from command line I think but I can't rely on everyone knowing that Smiley ).  So even if you can't figure it out any advice you have would be nice.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »

The mac/linux version does the same and closes just after the window has been displayed.
I think it's probably a hardware incompatibility.
Maybe if you look through your code, you'll find a place where you have setup the program to quit if it can't open a certain device or reach a certain condition and that is probably where my problem is.
OTOH I've seen other PC owners reporting the program to work on the thread, so maybe I am an exception ("Exception thrown" lol)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:52:53 AM by moi » Logged

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »

Nice effort. As already mentioned an easier way to tell when you can rage again would be good. The limited range of the balloons attack was a a bit of a surprise. It made it a very different game to the one I was expecting. I didn't manage to complete it, but it was an OK distraction. Good stuff.

zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »

I dig the bees and the art style in general.  It runs nice and smooth too.  Did you write your own engine or use a pre-made one?
Cheers,
--Zack
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic