Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:14:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHumble indie bundle - pay whatever you want
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26
Print
Author Topic: Humble indie bundle - pay whatever you want  (Read 73880 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #440 on: December 18, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »

Dragonmaw: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5609.0
Footkerchief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 18, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »

I certainly do feel like a victim when the result of my simple lack of communication results in ad hominem attacks and questions raised about how I use my personal time and money.. I'm just reminded of why I stay the hell clear of forums in general, and am always hesitant to interact with the public on the internet, in any context (fans included). Roll Eyes

This time, however, I couldn't resist actively defending myself and the game, as a shitstorm from the disgruntled veteran CC fans might also spill over and reflect poorly upon the Humble Bundle project and its organizers.. which is something I care about beyond just my company's share of the revenue from this iteration of the HIB. I'd hate to have this (to some extent understandable) whinefest, which is really unrelated to the bundle, close the door to other work-in-progress projects in future HIBs.

This is strange.  On one hand, you're defending your right to work slowly, you ignore the community, and you say that it's "creepy" for the developer-player relationship to be anything more than an emotionless transaction.  On the other hand, you're upset when people call you a lazy asshole, which although harsh is basically a restatement of the above facts.

Why do personal attacks bother you if you're truly that confident about your approach to things?  Why is it "creepy" for your players to have "emotional investments" in development, but not creepy for you to make emotional rants back at them?

Speaking as one procrastinator to another, I used tell myself (and others) that other people's expectations didn't matter.  It was a defense mechanism for coping with the shame I felt, but it doesn't work -- I just ended up internalizing the shame, like being a shameful, lazy, path-of-least-resistance person was just an inescapable fact of my life.  For better or worse, the only real way to escape it is to change your habits.  But you're not me -- maybe you truly do enjoy being lazy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:59:21 PM by Footkerchief » Logged
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: December 18, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »

I don't want nor can speak for Dan here, but it seems to me he's not upset by people calling him lazy, but by people claiming he has no right to be lazy because they paid $20 for his game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: December 18, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »

footkerchief, just because he's lazy about cc doesn't mean he's a lazy person in all aspects of his life. he probably has other things he's not lazy about -- like exercise i'd imagine, considering the shape he's in. it's just a matter of priorities.

that said, considering it is his livelihood, and so many people are looking forward to cc updates, if it was *me*, i'd be much more motivated to work on the game considering all the happiness it's bringing to people, and all the good i could do from working on it.

but i can imagine situations which take precedence over that too. if a family member were sick and needed taking care of for many hours a day, for instance, that'd clearly be more important than working on games. basically we don't know what he's spending his time on, so it's premature to depict him as someone who procrastinates on *everything*.

SunnyKatt
Level 1

Just a guy writing code

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: December 18, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »

@Speeder -

A bit off topic, but they're still going strong: http://nationofdesign.7forum.info/
Where do I know you from?

. . .
Bandages
« Reply #445 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »

For anyone who doesn't know, Footkerchief is the "Hand of Toady One" on the DF forums, and is responsible for dredging up any and all quotes/facts/figures about DF when anyone needs them. Don't know how long he's been doing it, but he knows a lot about developer/fan interactions from a long time being the middle man.
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: December 20, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »

I don't want nor can speak for Dan here, but it seems to me he's not upset by people calling him lazy, but by people claiming he has no right to be lazy because they paid $20 for his game.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I happily call myself lazy! It's my way of enjoying my life to the fullest. I just become upset when people get upset over broken promises that I didn't make in the first place.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 20, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »

I think the more interesting question here is:
Do you think you'll keep working on CC in the future? Because that would be awesome.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 20, 2010, 12:53:43 PM »

Before this bundle, I was really judgmental about Machinarium. I had heard great things about it, but I was reluctant to buy it. I had never been a fan of adventure games either. However, now that I have beaten it... I love it. The atmosphere of the game is amazing. The puzzles were a little tricky, but I eventually figured them out.

To me, bundles like this are a great opportunity to try games you wouldn't otherwise play. I wouldn't have played Machinarium otherwise. I'm glad that I did though.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 20, 2010, 01:01:07 PM »

You can now redeem the HIB2 on Steam and/or Desura (whatever that may be)
Footkerchief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 20, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »

I happily call myself lazy! It's my way of enjoying my life to the fullest.

In that case, perhaps you should mention that on the web store, right below

This is for people who want to give extra support for further devlopment of Cortex Command and other Data Realms games by paying the full price of the game today.

Something like: "Note: I enjoy being lazy more than I enjoy developing games."  It would give people more realistic expectations about what kind of cause they're supporting.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: December 20, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »

I played it and i can say that Machinarium is the best for now, next are:
2. Braid
3. Osmos
4. Revenge of the Titans
5. Cortex Command (what's going on in this game?)

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 20, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »

Revenge of the titans is HARRRD, but i guess i was starting on the highest difficulty.

love it though

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 20, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »

As it seemes, it starts at the highest difficulty, but you can make it recreate levels in a lower one. I have been able to get Pristine in the highest difficulty in most levels, but it involves at least one restart (to know what the will be the exact path of the Titans), but it's always frenetic. Managing all the turrets and refineries is insane and I usually don't end up with a lot of money for upgrades...

The game is still great though.

Hasn't this CC development discussion lasted long enough? I think whatever had to be said was already said and keep it going won't make it better.
ink.inc
« Reply #454 on: December 20, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »

I just bought this thing. Hooray.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »

So apparently they decided to lengthen it again?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ink.inc
« Reply #456 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »

Braid is pretty good.... at making me feel like a dumbass. Are you supposed to be able to get all the puzzle pieces at once? Or do you get access to more powers later?

Having had no prior experience with Cortex Command, I found it to be a fun, if buggy experience.

Machinarium is just absolutely beautiful. I'm already at the part right after when you defuse the bomb and it's great. My only gripe is that some of the puzzles that there are little doodads you need to find hidden in plain sight, which are absolutely unsolvable are damn near unfindable without the hint system.

Osmos... I only played it for five minutes, but it seemed pretty boring... and, in my opinion, it's the weakest of the bundle.

And I'm downloading Titans right now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:25:44 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:03 AM »

Braid is pretty good.... at making me feel like a dumbass. Are you supposed to be able to get all the puzzle pieces at once? Or do you get access to more powers later?
You can get each puzzle piece right when you first see it, though you can also backtrack if you couldn't get one.

Machinarium is just absolutely beautiful. I'm already at the part right after when you defuse the bomb and it's great. My only gripe is that some of the puzzles are absolutely unsolvable without the hint system.
I don't think I ever used it for the puzzles, as far as adventure games go the puzzle were pretty intuitive.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2010, 02:25:51 AM »

if you need a faq to solve either machinarium or braid, you're playing them wrong -- that's part of the challenge, to resist the temptation and keep trying 'till you solve it yourself

deathtotheweird
« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »

Playing Osmos for 5 minutes isn't really enough time. The first few levels are pretty easy and straightforward. It gets much harder (and more interesting and sometimes frustrating) later on. Plus it has great music. It's not meant to be an action game or anything. Sit back and try to relax, the way it's meant to be played.  Wizard

I used the in-game hint system in Machinarium like twice and felt bad when I did. Takes away the fun of it and made me feel like a cheater. Just got to have more patience, admire the artwork and observe each scene more closely.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic