Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:10:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid Workcustom python wrapper for 2d game engine (windows)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: custom python wrapper for 2d game engine (windows)  (Read 2747 times)
as400
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

hi

i'm a programmer (mainly high level languages) who is interested in making a game. but i don't want to get into low level programming too much, as it is not what i exactly want to do, and also it will take too much time to learn low level languages.

actually, i tried to make a small 2d game framework to use in game development, based on pyglet. it was very slow for several reasons. if i work on it some more, it can get a little bit faster, but i think this isn't the right approach, because even then it doesn't look like it will run smoothly.

so i gave up on this, and decided to use a faster, low level engine. but as i wrote above, i don't have enough experience for this.

long story short; what i want is: a python wrapper around a fast 2d game engine/library (i'm not sure which one yet, we can discuss), so that i can code game logic in python. you can choose whatever engine you want, as long as it meets these requirements:
- it has to work very fast. (100-200 32x32 sprites moving and rotating at 30fps?)
- target platform: windows xp/vista/7, low end computers.
- it must be free and it must have a suitable license for commercial games. (we can discuss, basically i want to be able to release and sell whatever i do, without asking for anyone's permission)
- i must approve it Smiley

i will provide very detailed specifications (complete reference) about what i exactly want, so no worries there.

of course this is a paid job. details will be discussed in private.

if you are interested, please pm me. if you have any questions, post it here, or pm me if it needs to be private Smiley
gwar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:12:49 AM »

I write bad python so, I'll bite Durr...? This will be the same as Pygame or more game maker-esque? Have you thought about how slow python for and while loops are and how that might effect the speed of your game logic or have any ideas about how to get around that?
as400
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:05:52 AM »

to clarify what i want a little bit more:
my game logic will do everything. using the wrapper i want, it will do these:
- start engine
- set configuration (screen_size, fullscreen or not, fps, sound volume, etc.)
- set resources (so engine can preload if needed)
- take input from engine, update the world
- regularly send world data to the wrapper (this data includes general world information, objects on it [with images, positions, angles] and a camera [with position and angle]). engine will draw these to the screen, play any sounds/music, etc. (if not clear, i can give example for resource and world data if needed).

as you can see, there is no collision detection, no 3d, no animation (in case your engine of choice needs to know which object moved where, i am also providing unique ids in world data)
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:35 PM »

Not trying to talk you out of hiring a programmer, but here are some resources I thought of while reading your post:

If what's slowing you down in pyglet is the lack of features like sprite/scene management, you may want to look at Cocos http://code.google.com/p/los-cocos/ or Rabbyt (tho the Rabbyt homepage seems to be missing in action at the moment).

You can also script Unity3d with Boo, a Python-like language.  There are a few tutorials  about 2d game development in Unity3d.

Also, python isn't the only high-level language available for game development!  You might want to check out löve if you haven't already - http://love2d.org/ .  As a python developer I think you'd be able to get a handle on Lua pretty quickly, they have some similarities Smiley

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
Amirai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »

What you said you want someone to code for you sounds a lot like what construct already is. It has a great 2D engine that you can already use Python to make games with.

It's very fast, I have no problem flinging around hundreds of on screen sprites of various sizes at 60 frames per second on a Pentium III, it runs on the platforms you mentioned and it's both free and free to sell games made with it.

Check it out: http://www.scirra.com
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:33:04 PM by Amirai » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic