Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:29:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGShameful Pachinko Romance *COMPLETE*
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Shameful Pachinko Romance *COMPLETE*  (Read 26414 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »

Download (571 kb, Windows)

Story: You never thought to find love in that old pachinko parlour. But that alluring stranger has been there every time. You haven't spoken of anything meaningful, but the sideways glances tell more than words. Friday night: the parlour is nearly empty. Your beloved takes a machine next to yours. Is tonight the night you work up the courage? Do you have the balls to announce your shameful love?

Features:
  • Hot pachinko action
  • Shame-based difficulty levels
  • 13 different endings
  • Balls

Controls: Mouse-controlled. More details within game. I'd suggest not reading the readme unless you want to spoil the experience.

Cheesy Love Theme for "Shameful Pachinko Romance" (Note: Not actually in game)

They'd say that our love would be shameful
As my balls, as they bounce off the pegs.
If they knew, then it would be fatal.
There's no room in these slots for us dregs.

This machine is giving me courage
As the lights blink up "extra ball".
This feeling does naught but encourage
Our love in this doomed pachinko hall.

Edit: Menu font added to zip file.
Use this version if you're having trouble seeing the scores: http://realnoyb.googlepages.com/ShamefulPachinkoRomance-TNR.zip
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:33:40 PM by Noyb » Logged

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »

I finally got some more free time to start working on this. Just got a half-decent pachinko engine working tonight in MMF2 with the Phizix engine. I have a feeling that the meta-romance game (choosable characters, cutscenes/text unique to each pairing) I have planned will take the most development time, even if I cut it down to 4 characters. Hopefully I'll be able to have something by the deadline.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »

For your humble consideration, the cast:

If time allows, you'll be able to choose your character and love interest from any of the above sprites. Feeling the shame yet?

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »

This looks good :D

olücæbelel
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:58:05 AM »

The main gameplay is essentially complete, apart from some polish. Now all that's left to do is work on the story elements and spruce up the main background.

There Will Be Balls

It's like The Marriage, only with more balls.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:11:48 AM by Noyb » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:00:44 AM »

It's like The Marriage, only with more balls.

Win. Kiss
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 05:38:15 AM »

Last night I finished up the endings. There are 13 in total: a different "good" ending for each character combination, plus a common "bad" ending for when you don't play so well. Once I find some appropriate music and sound and test it a bit more, I'll probably upload it sometime late Saturday or early Sunday.

Obligatory Arrested Development reference

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »

Finally! It is complete! The download link is in the first post. Oh, and there isn't meant to be any sound. Enjoy! Smiley

Big thanks to Derek for running this amazing, creativity-inspiring competition. That preemptive "Kiss" means a hell of a lot coming from you. Still haven't beat Baphomet, for what it's worth.  Grin

Edit: If anyone thought the difficulty in the previous release was a little too much, if you redownload it you'll find an easy mode, which switches the points of the holes into a much more easily exploited situation. To preserve score balance, you can't get highscores on easy mode, but it'll make seeing the endings and figuring out the gameplay easier.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:20:19 AM by Noyb » Logged

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 12:16:05 PM »

There need to be more games like this.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »

There need to be more games like this.
Glad you liked it! And from your score, I can see you did well enough to get a good ending on hard mode. Grin

Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »

Compulsory highscore screenie Wink

Anywho, nice game. Only thing is that once you find a good spot to dump a ball, it reasonably easy to get 100 at least 50% of the time and 40 with all otehr balls. I assume the blue balls were worth more points, but it seemed a bit random when they appeared (or maybe I'm just dense  Huh? ).

Also, nice quaint size, didn't know MM could make these small apps.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:23:53 PM »

Anywho, nice game. Only thing is that once you find a good spot to dump a ball, it reasonably easy to get 100 at least 50% of the time and 40 with all otehr balls..
Thanks for the feedback. I guess that's one of the perils of wanting a deterministic physics engine for thematic reasons, although I tried to make it *slightly* harder by forcing the player to return to the center to get a new ball. It's even easier on easy mode, where the 100 is on the center with 40s on either side.

I assume the blue balls were worth more points, but it seemed a bit random when they appeared (or maybe I'm just dense  Huh? ).
I admit that the mechanism for color change is not entirely intuitive, but that's kinda the opposite of what they mean. Try paying attention to what were the last holes you sank, how the minimap up top reacts to the colors, and what having blue balls could possibly mean in a game about romance. Wink There's a spoilery in-depth explanation of the color changing and a few of the subtler gameplay details in the readme, too.

Oh, and I'm not sure if Clickteam improved the compression for MMF2, but the size is definitely helped by having tiny art assets and no sound.

lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »

nun rocks! Cool
The idea of the game is intresting, but because of the high amount of balls, the gameplay gets little bit repetetive after some time (especially when you want to see all of the endings)...nevertheless, it is a good fun watching theese shamefull stories!
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

The post-ending score text and the final high score text are bugged for me; seems like none of the numbers are showing up.  WinXP if that helps, and I could dig up a screenshot if you think it'll help.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

The post-ending score text and the final high score text are bugged for me; seems like none of the numbers are showing up.  WinXP if that helps, and I could dig up a screenshot if you think it'll help.

A screenshot might help. I'm using the Sydnie font (included in Vista, afaik) to display the scores, which is the same as in the main game screen. I don't think it's a matter of missing that font, since all the other score screenshots don't seem to have that font but are showing up fine. Do you possibly have a different/corrupt Sydnie font installed? The score is showing up in the top-right of the main game for you right? Do you see the score component descriptions and names in both score screens, just not the numbers?  Maybe try deleting ball.dat from whererever you're running the game, although it's probably not a file problem if it's affecting the normal scores as well.

nun rocks! Cool
The idea of the game is intresting, but because of the high amount of balls, the gameplay gets little bit repetetive after some time (especially when you want to see all of the endings)...nevertheless, it is a good fun watching theese shamefull stories!
Very nice score! You must have had a really long hot streak. Shocked
Yeah, I might have started the player with too many balls. I was struck with the notion of wanting to ensure the player gets to experiment with and understand the mechanics by the end of the first playthrough, but it might have been a bit too much.  Undecided
I'm glad you like the writing.  Smiley

lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »

A screenshot might help.
I've managed to capture this screenshot while I was "putting the devil back to hell" Embarrassed :D, maybe it will help you find the bug.

Usualy it is a good idea to include the font into your zip file, as the font file is not realy big.

Very nice score! You must have had a really long hot streak.
Actually its not so difficult, you just need to find the "right" spot, you know Cool
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 03:44:15 PM »

Here's what I see on the main gameplay screen:

And the score thingy at the end looks like this:

Similarly the final high score table has no numbers at all, just names on the left.

That's on WinXP, and I don't have the Sydnie font at all.  I also deleted the ball.dat file just before rerunning to get these screenshots.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »

joshg: Try this version: http://realnoyb.googlepages.com/ShamefulPachinkoRomance-TNR.zip
I replaced the score font in this version with Times New Roman to test if the problem is the font itself or just the way the counter is displayed using fonts.

I also included the Poor Richard font I used for normal text in the original zip since apparently it's not that common either. Thanks for the screenshots. I didn't realize that if you didn't have that font, the score board wraps funny. Apparently the Sydnie font I was using for the score is arbitrarily included in some versions of Quicktime, and just as arbitrarily disappears with updates, but it's not that important as long as *something* displays. I don't want to risk tempting the wrath of Apple for distributing it, and it apparently doesn't want to make itself shown in my fonts folder either. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:08:14 PM by Noyb » Logged

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 04:30:19 PM »

Works great now, numbers are fine and the final score screen doesn't have that weird overlapping problem.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 05:10:54 AM »

Big thanks to Derek for running this amazing, creativity-inspiring competition. That preemptive "Kiss" means a hell of a lot coming from you. Still haven't beat Baphomet, for what it's worth.  Grin

Man, thanks for making this great game!

I'm pretty sure I got the "bad" ending, though.  I shall persevere until my nun finds true love! Kiss
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic