Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:55:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGive Up, Robot
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Give Up, Robot  (Read 18547 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »

Adult Swim published my newest game! It's about a robot with a grappling hook. It's a Flash game, so you can play it in your browser. Tell me what you think!

http://games.adultswim.com/give-up-robot-twitchy-puzzle-online-game.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:24:00 PM by Matt Thorson » Logged

Cocytus79
Level 0

Pathetic man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »

Just got to level 11, really fun so far Smiley

Love the graphics, the colors are best part.

I'm registering at adultswim.com right now so it will let me continue, I can't wait to see what the later levels have to offer.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »

I had great fun til I got to the high 40s.  Now I'm on 50 and I'm just fucking pissed off.   Roll Eyes

Mission accomplished? If it goes much beyond 50 I think I'm gonna have to quit.  I'm just not *that* good at video games.  Shrug

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

50 is the last level Smiley (then you unlock hard mode)

50 is intentionally quite a bit harder than 48 (and 49 is intentionally a lot easier). In particular, the ending is meant to be really nerve-wracking. Sorry!

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »

Heh, no problem.  I just made it through actually! 

I find the grappling hook is kinda weird, but I think I'm just used to multi-directional firing like Umihara Kawase.  Now that I'm done, I feel a sense of relief and I realize it was actually kinda fun.  Certainly had a lot of uniqueness to the level design, which is always a pleasure. 

(Got like the lowest rank possible, but hey!)

Also, Adult Swim has been delving into flash sponsorship lately.  I wonder what's the deal there?  Whatever it is, it's working :D

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »

I find the grappling hook is kinda weird, but I think I'm just used to multi-directional firing like Umihara Kawase.  Now that I'm done, I feel a sense of relief and I realize it was actually kinda fun.  Certainly had a lot of uniqueness to the level design, which is always a pleasure.

I'm glad you enjoyed the level design; that was definitely the focus of the game. The difficulty curve is mostly meant to be smooth with a couple exceptions. To name a few, with level 49 I just wanted a "this is cool" level and with level 50 I was going for a pretty big jump in difficulty.

The theory being that once you've made it that far you're pretty invested in the game so you're likely to put in the effort to get through it, and once you do you'll feel accomplished. I also just like the idea of the start of the level being really difficult, but the ending being a part you can take slow that isn't really all that hard... but still nerve-wracking because of what's on the line. I guess my goal was to make you sweat there so you end the game feeling good about yourself.

Also, Adult Swim has been delving into flash sponsorship lately.  I wonder what's the deal there?  Whatever it is, it's working :D

They bought the IP rights to the game, though they mentioned they might be doing sponsorships in the future.

Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »

Great game. Really great.
Difficulty is perfect.
Hard enough to be of a challenge, but not frustratingly hard.
Good job!
Couldn't stop until I finished 50 levels Smiley
ortoslon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:55:32 PM »

I'm registering at adultswim.com right now so it will let me continue

you don't need to register, the game keeps cookies on your computer to save progress
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »

I'm registering at adultswim.com right now so it will let me continue

you don't need to register, the game keeps cookies on your computer to save progress

This is true, although to submit your scores to the leaderboards you must create an account.

offal
Level 0

goblet lifestyle

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 03:05:13 AM »

wow, great work matt. i really appreciate how you've taken a step back from the abilities and token collecting of j3/ms and concentrated on your trademark stellar level design.

the visuals are gorgeous, but one minor gripe: when grappling, the shaking and colour-freakout makes it hard to see which way the character is facing, which is pretty important in later levels.

is it possible to do level 50 without grappling that moving block at the start? i think it is. this excites/terrifies me.

addendum: one of the vocoder chirps is definitely 'super joe'. and the hard levels, haha.
the music is really great! left the tab open for at least an hour now  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:22:31 AM by OffalAl » Logged
Eraser
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »

Well, I gave up at hard level 8.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »

Fun game, I beat it on normal mode.  I like the graphics, but I agree about the shaking - it makes it hard to see where you're going.  I appreciate that it pauses when you click outside of the Flash window, too, although that may just be default for FlashPunk.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »

I noticed the jittery robot effect at the beginning of the game, and then I didn't notice it again until the last level where I was getting a bit frustrated. It never really bothered me though.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »

I really like everything about this game. It's nice to see innovative screen-clearing methodologies. I got to level 45, but need a breather before continuing. Random question: is the computer voice just a ton of recordings (what I suspect), or is there some fancy real time processing going on?
Colton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »

Nice job, and awesome game. I like it. May play a bit more of it later.

The acid trip-type levels kinda bothered me at first but then I started to enjoy them.

davidfrankel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »

Tight style.  I can see why Adult Swim picked it up.  Great work.
Eraser
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 03:15:56 AM »

Anyway, I think the game was quite fun, although the whole dancing robot thing really made no sense (other than to be an excuse to have fun with the background). Unlike most people, I guess, I liked the blurring and the "psychedelic trip" feel of the game. The game was quite enjoyable, but with a hard curve at lvl 30 or 40.

As I mentioned earlier, I did beat the game and began playing the hard mode levels. These are some disgustingly hard levels, and drove me to madness. I couldn't get past level 8.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »

good stuff mister! later levels bring a lot of fun, and I'll try and complete this sometime soon.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »

Love it.

dhenniga
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 05:16:23 PM »

Excellent game.  I love screen-to-screen games as you always feel you have a fresh start on the next screen (or maybe that's just me).  I think the grappling hook is perfectly balanced and it did exactly what I wanted it to do (when I died, it was me just getting it wrong).  Lovely level design too.  I'm looking forward to your next project. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic