Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:24:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGUltraviolent Moon Patrol [WITHDRAWN]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ultraviolent Moon Patrol [WITHDRAWN]  (Read 7859 times)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:59:47 PM »

Okay screw it, I was taking my theme too seriously and I was getting in way over my head.

Switched from The Infernal Death Dance Party to Ultraviolent Moon Patrol. Expect a moon patrol clone, with A LOT of violence, and possibly a boss?

Still going to do this in C++/SDL/OpenGL for hardware acceleration, but I'm thinking lower resolution in full screen, possibly NES resolution (256x240) or actually using the original 240x248 resolution of moon patrol.

Download here http://cthulhu32.kraln.com/UltraViolentMoonPatrol0.1.zip
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:32:27 PM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:22:31 AM »

Okay, did a quick mockup at work, the car is from moon patrol, but you can see the type of style I'm going for. I might keep the original aspect ratio, or I might extend it a little bit so it full screens properly on a 4:3 monitor.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »

Can you keep the original colour palette? It's probably my most favourite thing in the known universe.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »

Moon Patrol definitely needs more ultraviolence.  This looks great!
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »

Some small snippets of whats to come. I've got a bus full of moon people, a maniac moon man running away from the violent moon car, and a quick screen of me messing with OpenGL & SDL, trying to figure out how to get an alpha into my textures (using DrPetter's DrawSprite loops :D )

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

Quick update:

So took a lot of weird coding, but looks like I've got some pretty slick stuff here.

Thanks to RyanA for a good FPS limiter, I now have a FPS limited Moon Patrol prototype running in C++/SDL/OpenGL, using the SDL_LoadBMP() function to load my bmps, and I wrote a custom function to convert (auto-resizes the buffers) RGB to AGBR's for OpenGL calls. I'll release this game in full open source in case anyone wants to reuse anything from here.

Game is running extremely smoothly, I have little running men, and a car that moves back and forth so far. I have the blood particles, just a matter of adding in the code to make the little moon men explode when you run over them. Will be adding randomly generated terrain soon (currently its just looping 4 tiles over and over), along with hopefully a new gameplay element that will encourage the user to squish the moon men from above.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »

Added a youtube video showing off my blood particles, might add one more effect for "dripping" blood for when you shoot a moon man with a rocket pack.

I've successfully stuck to my C++/SDL/OpenGL ways, and damn its paying off :D I'm really digging the speed I can get with this setup, no worries about blitting 1000 sprites and having any slowdown!

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »

lookin grood!

needs more ultraviolence.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »

I've always wondered why the Moon Patrol buggy lacks melee weapons of any kind. Surely mining drills and diamond saws would come in handy on the Moon.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »

Yeah I like the 8bit vibe

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »

Holy crap, so I have to give Moon Patrol a bit more respect than I had earlier. I had never actually finished the Championship mode of the game.... umm Levels W-Y are unbelievable. The game almost feels like a puzzle game after a bit, cause you're guessing which parts of the rocks or plants you have to shoot to get to the next part. I must have spent over 100 quarters beating this game. Also I never realized the game was unbeatable, as in you get sent back to level A in championship for Round "2" up to round whatever.

Not a lot of progress on the game, got the scrolling & some basic level loading functionality in place, blood fountains now appear when you run over the little guys. Its the 15th now, so hopefully I'll be able to finish this in time, I'm glad the compo has A LOT of time from start to finish, thanks Derek for not making this a huge rush :D I'm going to be rushing during Pyweek, but this is much more relaxed.

One thing I did realize about the physics of Moon Patrol is that you are controlling the acceleration of the car when you move left & right, so movement is not instant, one of the ways they made this game IMPOSSIBLE. So instead of casually moving 5 pixels per frame with the joystick, you actually influence the position through acceleration (hence MOON Patrol I guess??)

I'm also going to do my best to preserve its "Arcade" feel by adding in a full credit system, high score (might add a high score table), rom check startup at the beginning possibly, my biggest goal is to stick this in my MAME Arcade and have it as a playable game through Mamewah :D If this goes well I might make some other Arcade classic ports with Ultraviolence or some kind of funny twist and throw them into a Mame arcade compilation. We will see.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 07:10:41 PM »

...my biggest goal is to stick this in my MAME Arcade and have it as a playable game through Mamewah :D

That is an awesome idea. How does one go about making a game Mamewah compatible?
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »

Pretty hilarious stuff, man.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »

...my biggest goal is to stick this in my MAME Arcade and have it as a playable game through Mamewah :D

That is an awesome idea. How does one go about making a game Mamewah compatible?

Mamewah has a really nice windows support feature, by adding the .lnk (link) file to a pc apps folder. You can basically add any app you can think of to Mamewah, its amazingly awesome.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

Here is a gameplay video so far, from the other tigsaucer's on the IRC chat, it needs more guts but its WIP.

ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »

Those people must be entirely made of blood!  Excellent.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

Alpha of my game. The GUI does not work, I don't have anymore enemies, and the level is a debug level, but I thought I'd upload at least what I have so far. Its pretty small, just extract the folder somewhere and double click the exe.

http://cthulhu32.kraln.com/UltraViolentMoonPatrol0.1.zip

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »

k, so there is no feasible way to finish this with more chores and dinner to finish up tonight. But it's been freakin great, all the guys on #tigirc are hilarious, I'll keep coming back even when there's no competition Smiley I should be finishing this game up at some point soon, my boss wants me to convert it over to Virtools so I can learn how to use that crazy dev environment. Try out my alpha, I fixed all the memory leaks so you can play it as many times as you want, or you can just check out the youtube.

- Gameplay video

Cool

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

Looks fun as all heck!  Finish this one, please!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic