Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:59:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTile Quest (linear RPG)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Tile Quest (linear RPG)  (Read 9905 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »

This game has really satisfying visual feedback. I love weird tiny windows, also.

|
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 03:12:50 PM »

hey guys. so been working on this lately and decided to try something out. so i wanted to make the battles more intense and give the player more to do, so I was looking at rock paper scissors. so what i have is you come across a monster, and must battle it. all monsters have different life and each one is battled with a best 2 of 3 RPS game.

example:
so you come across a lowly goblin it has one life, while you have 3. if you win the first match the goblin loses one life, if not you lose one life. this continues until one of you is dead.

basically my goal was to take what I already had and make it more exciting. I will probably use Fire/Water/Plant. Each monster will also fall into a category of Fire/Water/Plant/none. this means a fire monster will have a greater chance to throw fire, so by playing water you have a better chance, but they could always throw plant and beat you. i think the highest life a monster will have will be 3 and that will be the Boss, but most will be ones.

so do you guys see any major problems? I have been playing this for a while using a pen and paper and a random generator and it can be quite tricky. but with potions and the idea that the monsters have a tendency to certain throws it seems easier.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »

alright. so its been awhile since I have actually posted here. basically its been a pretty crazy month and a half. Ive been working 12 hour shifts trying to get out latest project done at work, then I had to fly to PA for a funeral. Now I'm back home and was supposed to be back to 8 hour days, but the company had a lot of layoffs so now I am unemployed at the moment. this gives me a lot of free time. so here is the newest build I have and its in flash.
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1282148934

use Z to select. X will eventually be for potions. this is the just the First Battle. in the end there will be 4 battles then a boss battle. Right now battle is done as Rock Paper Scissors. except its Fire<Plant<Water. if you win 2 throws the opponent loses one heart. what do you think?

Ant
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 07:58:08 AM »

The graphics are just so stupendously lovely. Addicted

Honestly I would love to see this made into a full blown adventure rpg complete with stats, experience, magic, oodles of equipment, full-on combat and general exploring shenanigans.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 01:35:15 PM »

I like the rock paper scissors thing but I feel like there is one major problem.  As it is I would never pick anything except for the symbol which is most likely to beat the opposing monster.  I know I would get beat some times but still it's the optimum strategy.

Of course this is only a problem if it's obvious what symbol a monster is.  If not then no problem.  Of course without the monster preferences I would always pick the same symbol period so it's better then that.

I think it might be cool if monsters were "weak" to one element say a fire monster is weak to water.  Thus if you hit him with water he loses 2.  The monster knows this though so is more likely to choose grass to beat your water.  So you the player can choose either choosing water with a less likely chance to hit but it's better if you do or choosing fire which your more likely to win with but it will only hurt him 1.

Probably to complicated but I feel like it would introduce more choices.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »

Ant: I will probably do other stuff with these sprites so in the future who knows.

Dustin: yeah I am trying to figure out a way to add that strategy. I like the idea of specific elements, but its hard to decide on very specific guys. the average person can guess what the element of a Fire elemental would be. or a forest spirit, but what would they choose for say a zombie, bandit, or a knight. I am thinking of adding the computer going through all choices. and the player can watch and maybe see what the last choice was. each monster of course would be faster. this idea would allow me to use more varied monsters that don't have a specific type. I just don't know perhaps I should see how many I can get of the specific types and then go from there.

FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »

Yeh looks great man, chris and I will send you a wee update soon. We have been busy as hell too, dont worry we arnt dead!

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »

The graphics are just so stupendously lovely. Addicted

Honestly I would love to see this made into a full blown adventure rpg complete with stats, experience, magic, oodles of equipment, full-on combat and general exploring shenanigans.
Although exploring in the whole linear thing he has going here would be alot like mashing right and watching a slide show of pixel art.

Actually that's not a bad idea.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:12 PM »

I have been thinking about this and I really like multiplayer games, which is what this started out as. one thing I was thinking about was doing this as a hot-seat game. one player plays as an adventurer and one person plays as the villain. So i was thinking the "hero" will control the same guy though 4 battles for example. he will get to select which hero to use out of 3 and which upgrades he wants. the "villain" can pick which monsters to have for the 4 battles. Hero uses QWE keys and Villain uses IOP. this basically cuts a lot of work for me because it stops the need for AI. Rock Paper Scissors against another human will always be more fun. and then I can have it either randomly select who is who or just let the players decide. this gives strategy for both players but very different games.

also I will probably drop the Fire>Water>Plant for something a little more strategic.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic