Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:57:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGKiller Rabbit Online
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Killer Rabbit Online  (Read 3198 times)
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »

Killer Rabbit Online is a co-operative, competitive, 2d platform/shooter/survival game. There's a giant killer rabbit on the loose, and all the players set out to kill it. Due to its great strength and agility, an individual will have trouble killing it alone, so the players are expected to team up to defeat it - however, everyone wants to be the hero known for slaying the killer rabbit, and so all players compete with each other for medals.

Dodgy mock screenshot follows, final game should hopefully look far better Smiley The orange health bar on the red player shows that he's been carrot juiced by another sneaky player, making him a more attractive target for the killer rabbit.

I haven't coded in years, and have never done any netcode before in my life, so the 'online' part is maybe a bit unlikely, but hopefully I'll at least have something playable by the deadline. Smiley

Edit: screenshot removed, no longer on the server.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:22:52 PM by shockedfrog » Logged
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »

Game's progressing slowly, but the fact it's progressing at all is a pleasant surprise. Smiley I should hopefully have all the basic platformery stuff done today, just going to use a simple tile-based level for now. Trying to keep the core of the game simple so that I can just focus on getting that much to work online.

Thinking forward to netcode, been looking at some example code and reading up on things and it doesn't actually seem quite as horribly impossible as I expected, though I'm sure there'll be loads of annoying little problems once I actually get round to coding it.

The rabbit AI is the bit that I'm least sure about. I have a few basic ideas on how to implement it, but I might just make it player controlled for initial testing.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:14:08 PM »

Sweet!  I really like the graphics in your mock-up, too - really reminds me of DOS.

Seems like even if the AI were basic it'd be quite fun. Smiley
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »

Though I'm making some progress on this, it's slow and no amount of caffeine will make this playable by the deadline, though I'm still going to try anyway Smiley At the very least, trying to make this has pushed me into learning things I've never quite been able to focus on before, so I win in a personal sense though I completely fail in the entry-completing sense. Planning to keep working on this for a while whatever happens.

Anyway, other than this grand announcement of nothing, main reason for this post is to point out there's some oddness on the forum, there seems to be a total dead zone between pages 4 and 5, this topic and probably a number of others aren't listed and need to be found through search.
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »

make it past the deadline. this looks bitchin. id play it with my classmates in study hall.

up down left right upper cut.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic