Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 12:12:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSome kind of Game Subscription Service, possibly?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some kind of Game Subscription Service, possibly?  (Read 1774 times)
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »

I've been thinking about possible business models for indie games, using myself as the target audience. Paying for games is not a problem in itself, but there's a definite barrier in getting my credit card out, or logging in to paypal.

I pay 100 Swedish kronor (about €10) each month to listen to music via Spotify. I get to listen to the latest music when I want, and I don't have to take out my credit card, or feel like a thief by downloading it.

Would something like this work for indie games? Some kind of service that you subscribe to, you get to play as much as you want, then the service pays the developers a portion based on how much their games get played.

Personally, I think it could work great.
Once there's a decent player pool, the developers don't have to worry about converting players to customers.. you just need to get people to play the game. This puts the game first. You could even put up versions under development, or small tech demos on there. If it's fun, people will play it.
The biggest drawback is probably that people won't actually OWN the games. But I guess it could be possible to have a "Buy" button that lets you buy a permanent copy of a game.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »

Spotify is great for customers... is it actually good for musicians? (Certainly eMusic isn't - I've heard lots of complaints about it.)

Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 07:59:05 AM »

From the numbers I've seen (can't remember the sources at the moment), it's not. I don't know why that is.
I've never spent 10 euro per month on CD's, so this is an all time high for me on music spending..
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »

Wasn't there a story about Lady Gaga suing Spotify because she'd only received $100 despite her songs being the most shared ones, or something?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »

A lot of this was discussed fairly recently: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11984.0
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 02:03:02 PM »

Oh, neat! Thanks. :D

Locky thread, mod?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic